Cross Training: Track

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bunsofsteel, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bunsofsteel

bunsofsteel Regular Member

Hi, well a little background first, I'm a high school student and the spring season for sports is coming up. I plan on doing Track but I'm at a little dilemma. I place badminton as the top priority sport so every athletic thing I do is pretty much so I can benefit in badminton.
    Now here's the question:

Which sport should I do, eg. Hurdles, sprinting, long distance...?

I'd just like to know how much each activity makes you more better equipped for badminton or anything else about this.

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Badminton requires short strong bursts of energy around the court so long distance running will do you no good. You may not get tired while playing but your muscles wont have the explosiveness or instant speed which badminton requires.

Id say hurdles and sprinting would be fantastic! Great leg strengthening and condition training because of strong hard running. You will be training your fast twitching muscle fibres aswell as boosting your fitness a heap! Ultimately the best training for badminton is badminton specific training.
    But if your choosing track and field out of those id say hurdles and sprinting.