User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only plastics I would play is Mavis 2000. I won't say it is close to feathers but if I really have no a choice and have to play plastics, that could be it. Mind you, playing plastics will tend to lead to injuries because we often sub-consciously make changes to our techniques when hitting plastic shuttles to give it an extra thump with the intention of generating power from it. Play feathers if you can..

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

+1 for Mavis 2000 if I have to play plastic, which luckily I don't have to for past 2 years...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ezish View Post
    I really feel a head heavy works better for plastic more, it's easier to transfer the power to the plastic bird, and lower tension around 25 to 26lb seems to be ideal.
    Can anyone try to explain the science behind hitting plastic bird vs feather bird?
    How long you thing each type of bird stays on the string bed? (i know lots of variable, but may be someone with more physics knowledge can explain the theory behind it)
    Do you need to push it thru more with plastic bird?
    Why I feel I get more power with plastic bird with lower tension?

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting...

I play both plastic and feather, but since I stopped playing competitively I have definitely been playing plastic more than feathers

From my understanding and experience, it doesn't matter what spec of racket I use to play plastic or feather with, its relatively the same.

The difference like many mentioned, is in string tension. I've done the experiment with having higher tension for plastic and lower for feathers ( I believe, correct me if I am wrong) that a lot of people recommend. My findings are that its pretty true. I play around 28 lbs bg 80 on plastic, and a tad bit lower on feather (26/27) I find that the extra pound or two is extremely useful and it gives me that the pop and the power to hit with plastic. Not just that, but I get really good control for the trade off of hitting with more power. However, for me, I never ran into the problem where my tension was either too high or too low to clear or what not. it just took me time to adjust and the only problem I ran into was when I played with greens 300 or slower feathers. That was the only time for me where i couldn't effectively clear or do anything at all.

what I find interesting is that, I prefer to playing with thinner strings for plastic than thicker ones. I use to be a fan of bg 65 ti with plastic cause I could get a really good pop with it. However, that never really translated into power for me. It was the thinner strings (bg 80, zm 62 and zm 65) where I can really feel the plastic bird when it comes off my strings. This really goes against what a lot of people say that thicker strings are better for plastic.. because in my case it was never true. I had way better feel, control and power using thinner strings.

What I agree with is that there is an optimal tension for plastic and feathers. Its just a matter of adjusting and finding that number and maximizing the strings for the preference that you want and that matches your playstyle (i.e hard hitting, control type etc)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good read!
    Ill try to experiment with some more this week.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I (or most players) would echo JukUx's experience of using thinner strings with higher tensions for plastic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    I'm not sure I (or most players) would echo JukUx's experience of using thinner strings with higher tensions for plastic.
    I think for really high level players who compete in open tournament, they dont lose power even when tension is increased anyway.

Re thin vs thick strings, thin will give u better feel, control and power, whether its plastic or feather. But thin strings with plastic will burn a hole in your pocket as the strings just wont last if higher than 24-25 lbs (my experience).

And green cap is just way too slow, especially in NA.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wongmb View Post
    I think for really high level players who compete in open tournament, they dont lose power even when tension is increased anyway.

Re thin vs thick strings, thin will give u better feel, control and power, whether its plastic or feather. But thin strings with plastic will burn a hole in your pocket as the strings just wont last if higher than 24-25 lbs (my experience).

And green cap is just way too slow, especially in NA.
    Tried bg 80 @ 28 lbs with plastic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3