Do yonex only do marketing ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Benasp, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

Looking at my 7 years old AT700 versus the new Arcsaber, I don't see any difference, every yonex racquet since isometrics 10 years ago are exactly the same, 21x22 string pattern, same head shape (only difference is the no shared hole grommets (and thank for that). Except for balance/weight i don't see them actively doing developpement (except for material gimmick).

The could mess around with more/less string on the main and cross, grommet-less system, head shape ...

by the way, why did they got rid of muscle power?

Do you think it is beacause they have already found the perfect receipe or are they just lazy (ie make more money investing in advertisement) ?

2. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    I've been thinking the same thing and I have come to a possible conclusion. Yonex have "gone Porsche 911" on us. That means they have found a concept that sell and therefore stick to it and make minor adjustments. We as byers are also concervative. I know I am. I have tried Prince Y-shape (yes the first one with fewer strings) and other silly looking newcomers. It gave me nothing extra (except for hell of alot of broken strings on that Prince racket). Since then I have gone backwards. I like to play with oval heads. Even aluminum heads is quite fun. I am as good with a cab 8 as with a arcsaber 10. I will not go further back since then I have to use steel frames or even wood.

Ok, so my point is this. Since they started making rackets from aluminum and carbon not much has happend. At least nothing so big it changes badminton as a sport. There is no material or shape available on earth that will shake up the sport... again.

It's all marketing... and I'll bye it.

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    No silly, Yonex make and market badminton rackets :p

4. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    I think Yonex has done enough R&D over the past 30 years, it is no wonder they are sticking to something that works, for now.

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    that is normal.
    new material and fine tune here and there.
    after 100+ years, i am still driving car that comes with 4 tyres and metal body.

6. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

:D Wrong! It comes with 5 tyres (1 spare tyre) :p

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I never carry a spare tyre or tire. This saves weight, creates more space for luggage, and also makes the car go faster with less fuel.

8. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

Mmm.. You drive? There's a special compartment to keep spare tyre and normally it won't take up your storage space. Unless your stuff is uniquely enough like tyre to fit into that slot...
    Oh.. saves weight and fuel to have faster speed? Then, prepared to call tow truck when any of the tyres is punctured. :D

9. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    You may be carrying a spare tire without realizing it, look under a liftable flap that conceals a compartment for a tyre.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

If referring to marketing companies pretending to be a product based company, Bose would be the worst.Yonex just hasn't had any new breathroughs in materials and design over the past 6-8 yrs since the isometrics. Hopefully, they're working on something new that would bring us into the next quantum leap.

11. hduong

hduong Regular Member

Besides the material no other company has really introduces any new technology that's has done much. The ISO shape was the biggest change in the last decade. Yonex is not alone.

12. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i mean it running on the road on 4 tyres. good that we have smaller spare tyre just in case.....
    same as string pattern, didnt change for so many decades of years. but, we need to extra racket just in case the racket decided to retired. :mad:
    normal cars on the road, still using metal body, not carbon fibre or plastic or pvc....
    badminton rackets are still base on same material for years. at least jumping from wood to aluminum to graphite.

13. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

I agree that they produce the best racquet around but there isn't much variety, why not a 20/21 string pattern on some, maybe some people would prefer them, why not a grip that go higher (since everybody wrap their grip on the cone anyway) etc ...

14. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Yup..the same typical shape,the same four tyres.Identically havent change alot for cars.Same for yonex,they all look almost the same.But comparing both arc7 and old 700,from outside,u cant simply tell what's their difference.Just like u said.String pattern,etc.But the technology is different.We cant really tell that by looking on the outside,other than the advertised technology,but for those who have used it,can really tell that both of rackets are different.So does most of the yonex rackets.Each yonex rackets feels different from the rest.More easy comparation,the real old 700(not the renewed version) and new 700.Can anyone who have tried this two rackets says that it's the same racket?I believe not..

15. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

I'd say Yonex have created very good products that are at the limit of technology (at least if you wish to stay in a certain price bracket). Sure they could start some huge Research&Development for the "next best thing", but why should they? They have excellent market penetration, they have an awesome image, their expensive stuff sells very well. They also have quite good service, I hear, replacing broken stuff at their cost, etc. (I have no own experience with this).

And not to forget, their rackets and shuttles actually *are* very good when compared to the competition (at least Dink said so last time I looked ;) ).

Last but not least, speaking of "expensive" - compared to some other enthusiast sports (e.g. biking, boating, etc.), even Yonex rackets are not *that* expensive unless you break them frequently. Heck, I paid more for my last trecking trousers than for my Nano 9900. ;)

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

babolat tried a different stringing pattern on one of there rackets can't remeber what it was or the model name but will get back to you on that in a minute

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Babolat x-feel series are all 20x21 string pattern
    Never tried them before however so I can't give a review
    However I do own a babolat with a 20x21 string pattern called a babolat fuselight
    Quite heavy balance point about 300 not very good at all really unless your a beginer or on a low budget

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Also just to add babolat satelite brio has a 20x22 string pattern

19. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

I was definitely thinking about babolat when I wrote the thread. In fact I recently bought a Satellite nitro from Babolat and for the first time I didn't want to get back to my AT700, they play very simmilar, the babolat is a little flexier. Babolat have some interesting thing to offer, at least from a stringer point, as said they have a 20x21 string pattern that have bigger gap between peripherical string and closer gap between "sweetspot" string. Also the string are "hidden" in the racquet head so they won't fray from touchint the ground.

The others brand I have tried dissapointed me, most of them being cheaper yonex clones. Babolat seem to have brought their own input and they seem to take badminton seriously by having some pro etc...

Some serious competition to Yonex would be beneficial to everyone IMO.

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

They do have competion now from victor and li ning as these companies have taken some of they're major sponsorship deals (victor becoming sponsor of Korea and Li ning sponsor of china)
    However Li nings overpricing has lead to people to stick with yonex instead of spending an extra $100 on a reletivly new brand