User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 18
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default fractured wrist should i keep playing ?

    hi guys

    Last night i fractured my wrist warming up (tripped and fell landing heavily on the wrist)
    at the time i didnt think it was fractured and as it was my right wrist and i am left handed i decided that after i put an ice pack on the wrist when i was siting waiting for my games that i would be fine as long as i was careful
    I played on and it didnt seem to affect my performance

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    now my arm is in a cast i feel more than able to play the cast is to be taken off in approx 4 weeks but obviously as i am crazy i really need to play badminton
    As it is my other arm that is injured can anyone see the harm in me playing with a fractured wrist seeing as i was able to last night without much problem ?
    Thanks
    Also i have a Freindly tournament that i have a good chance to do well in and the organiser said that they dont mind me playing with a cast on
    I really dont want to withdraw

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yes and no.
    yes: your racket hand is still ok but hit around casually
    no: the cast weight can off balance u one way or another and u would trip and fall again. So no tournament play
    no: your cast wont allow u to sweat off that wrist.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    there is a reason they put a cast on a fracture. think about that
    Best advice, don't do anything that could endanger it. Sorry, but Badminton should be out for at least the 4 weeks. like cooler said, your balance will be off, and that will cause you to trip and fall at least once.
    Last edited by jymbalaya; 12-19-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: heh.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    yes and no.
    yes: your racket hand is still ok but hit around casually
    no: the cast weight can off balance u one way or another and u would trip and fall again. So no tournament play
    no: your cast wont allow u to sweat off that wrist.
    ok cooler
    You think it would be ok playing against weaker people or just take part in meaningless matches without any comptitiveness ? That's probaly ok you think ?
    Yesterday I had a one game match to 21 and the final score belive it or not was 30-29 !! The guy I was playing is slightly better than me but I beat him with a fractured wrist
    I thought I would add I barely sweat through my arms it's mostly legs and head for me I have sweat bands as well if that helps
    The cast weight hasn't thrown me off balance so far will probaly have a knock up tommorrow to see what It feels like

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jymbalaya View Post
    there is a reason they put a cast on a fracture. think about that
    Best advice, don't do anything that could endanger it. Sorry, but Badminton should be out for at least the 4 weeks. like cooler said, your balance will be off, and that will cause you to trip and fall at least once.
    one of the main reasons I want to play tomorrow is the fact that timmorrow will be the last badminton I play for 3 weeks cause training doesn't restatt to the 9th of January
    If I just take by time take no risks and be very careful do you think it will be ok ?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    one of the main reasons I want to play tomorrow is the fact that timmorrow will be the last badminton I play for 3 weeks cause training doesn't restatt to the 9th of January
    If I just take by time take no risks and be very careful do you think it will be ok ?
    only u know how hard u want to push yourself. If u know where and when to stop or not exceed, u could minimize accidental risk. It's your call, life is a adventure u must weigh out risk vs reward

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    only u know how hard u want to push yourself. If u know where and when to stop or not exceed, u could minimize accidental risk. It's your call, life is a adventure u must weigh out risk vs reward
    ok I will set limits no need to risk injury going for shots that you know are impossible to reach no need to dive or be excessive
    Thanks cooler

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    ok I will set limits no need to risk injury going for shots that you know are impossible to reach no need to dive or be excessive
    Thanks cooler
    I think you should let it heal fully before you hit a shuttle. You dont want to risk things. I was unwell for 8 months and never hit a shuttle in this time even though i wanted to badly. If I can do it for 8 months you can do it for 4 weeks lol. Good luck anyway, hopefully it heals quickly

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor_tec_14 View Post
    I think you should let it heal fully before you hit a shuttle. You dont want to risk things. I was unwell for 8 months and never hit a shuttle in this time even though i wanted to badly. If I can do it for 8 months you can do it for 4 weeks lol. Good luck anyway, hopefully it heals quickly
    8 months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway I am off to the hospital tommorrow so I will ask about it and go with what they say

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    8 months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway I am off to the hospital tommorrow so I will ask about it and go with what they say
    yup Lol, yea theyl tell you whats best.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armor_tec_14 View Post
    yup Lol, yea theyl tell you whats best.
    hopefully they will tell me it's ok they may even take the cast off
    It's only a slight breakage (what they call a greenstick fracture ) but they put the cast on as a precautionary measure so that I can go back to see the speavialist tomorrow

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LD rules!

    If you are really that desperate to play badminton, practice footwork :P

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shot3gun View Post
    LD rules!

    If you are really that desperate to play badminton, practice footwork :P
    yeah I was desperate I played :P it felt just like normal balance didnt appear to be affected and I did really well

  15. #15
    Regular Member Sgbad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Take care LDrules. Let it heal. You still have 70years of badminton!

  16. #16
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,148
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    around 11 yrs ago, i fell down from a bike and landed on my right wrist. i dont' think it was fractured but it was too painful and weak to even hold a badminton racket. a cast probably wouldn't have helped.

    the bug bite and i found myself at the badminton gym, playing with my left hand.

    sorry i don't have any suggestion for you, just wanted to share with you an old story.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgbad View Post
    Take care LDrules. Let it heal. You still have 70years of badminton!
    thanks sgbad I don't have any more badminton for a 2 and a 1/2 weeks because of holidays so I fractured my wrist at a good time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. playing with injured opposite wrist
    By Capnx in forum Injuries
    Replies: 2
    : 08-05-2011, 04:42 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    : 02-19-2010, 03:58 AM
  3. fractured leg rest time
    By ilostmybrain in forum Injuries
    Replies: 2
    : 02-09-2010, 01:47 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    : 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
  5. Your right wrist
    By Cheung in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 3
    : 04-18-2003, 05:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •