Jump Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Hakular, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

Can anybody tell me the steps in doing a jump smash and how to achieve a good jump smash? Like, when I jump, should I turn my body?

2. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

And when somebody lifts the bird incredibly high, for some reason, when I smash it, it turns out to be weak? Is it because of the timing? Because when somebody doesn't lift it as high, there is more power in it when I smash.

3. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Yes, it's the timing difference, and also how fast your footwork from the net to baseline, up the air to do a jump smash!:D

4. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

So is the jump smash all about timing? If your timing is wrong, your jump smash will be weaker than your normal smash?

5. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    yes u re right and u should get a adv player to guide u , and at the same time watch how intl players do it.

6. druss

druss Regular Member

Learning how to jump smash just by playing games is extremely difficult. Like with most things you need to do repetitions in order to get the feel for it. Get someone with 20-30 shuttles just feeding you clears and you keep trying them (after you learn the proper technique).

7. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    I am lucky to have an ability to see and able to mimic people's movements, as many other people no matter how much you show them the correct way of doing things, they are harder to mimic the movements. I watched a lot of matches on videos (YouTube is a good site ;P) and try to do a little bit of jumping smash. Of course, practice makes perfect and it is hard to get the feeling and timing for jumping smash. I advice tho that before you start to do jumping smash, it is better to master the regular smash first. Train your body to be fit, when you do jumping smash, you need to recover fast to receive the smash return. At first, I couldn't get the timing right, but I practice and practice a lot to get my timing right and I also do Plyometrics training (jump training) to increase my agility.

8. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I think the more important question is...can you mimc the result as well?

9. neogenesus

student
    Well ryim_ of course not right away, right now I haven't master the jump smash yet. It isn't consistent yet, sometimes I still miss hits because I jump too soon (especially since I only play twice a week - wednesday and friday). Usually on Wednesday, I need to adjust the timing and feeling for jump smash and on Friday, I usually don't need to adjust much (I wish I can play or practice everyday).
    One thing that I noticed ever since I began to start practicing jump smash is that you can jump and smash, but it is still only you jump and smash while you jumping, you generate power from your arm and wrist (it is like normal smash but you doing it on the air). There is also jump smash that is you jump and smash, but you will feel that your whole body actually help to generate power, it is like your core muscle help you with turning you body and the result is usually more devastating than normal smash.
    The smash is actually when you start to falling down and not when you at the very top of your jump, this way the gravity will help generating the force down along with the swing of your arm and wrist. Looks easy, but to get the feeling is hard need a lot of smashing practices. The best way to train is your partner should return your smashes with a net drop to force you to run forward and you return it medium high so that your partner can then again feed you the birdie back to you to smash. (Damn english is not my 1st language ><). This is not only train you to get the feeling right, but also train you how to recover after you jump smash by making you run forward to cover the net, also train your control and precision in clear (very basic training and I believe every coaches will do this training also). Problem also is many people just want to play and they think they can improve by just playing the game.

10. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

11. neogenesus

student
    Joseph: I did watch that and it is true what he said that the power is not only from your arm and wrist, but also from leg and your core.

12. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

When you launch into the air for the strike, both your "racket foot" and "racket shoulder" should be behind you. Keeping your body torso as the (vertical) pivot, in the course of striking the shuttle, turn your body into the shot with both your "racket foot" and your "racket shoulder" moving forward while with both your "non-racket foot" and your "non-racket shoulder" moving back. When you land back onto the court, both your "racket foot" and "racket shoulder" should now be in front of you while both your "non-racket foot" and "non-racket shoulder" should be behind you. I don't do a lot of jump smashes, so I'm not sure whether the rate of the pivotal turn should be natural but i understand some players try to exert more force in their pivotal turn to impart more energy into the shuttle.

13. eugene

eugene Regular Member

IT Consultant
    well said, no matter you are doing smashing, drop shot or stroke. you will also need to change the position in order to react faster to catch the next bird while u r hitting the shuttle at the back court.

14. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Hakular despite what you're being told here, you're definitely better off approaching a coach about this, considering that messing this up could result in some fairly nasty injuries. Best way to learn badminton is by watching someone in person. After learning the basics involved with it then come back to this forum and work out any kinks and develop some more advanced movements involved.

15. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I asked this question about a year plus ago. After taking the mundane advice of "keep on practicing", I finally got the hang of it. Start off with small hops when trying to smash. You will soon find that your hops become more frequent jumps. And then you suddenly realise you have just jumpsmashed.

16. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Probably the best way to do the jumpsmash is to study Peter Rasmussen carefully.

Videotape yourself and compared it to him(benchmark). :D

If you observed carefully, he position himself behind the shuttle at least 3 feet/1 meter and the take-off is very critical to the jumpsmash.

The take-off I believe is the hardest to master in the jumpsmash.

You mess up the take-off, everything in the jumpsmash fails.

That's where he stress the leg power. And of course the footwork (backward movement).

#16 Badmintan, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  17. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    I'm not going to do a long explanation like everyone else.

Just keep practicing over and over jump smash is about rhythm for me. usually about a 1 2 step, jump on the 2nd step, swing and rotate body. It took me about a year to get a good jump smash. My jump smash now is more consistent than my regular smash with a steeper angle and lots more power. The thing about jump smashes is that it takes away lots of energy in doubles. I had about a 10 jump smash limit before i dropped haha.

Just keep practicing even if u keep hitting the net. Sooner or later you'll get it down, as did I.

18. smax5001

smax5001 Regular Member

Student
    Hello Badminton Lovers,

I agree with everybody on the technique for jump smashes. However, you have to understand a couple of important points. The baseline skill that you must have is footwork. Of course, every player is different due to injuries, age, gender, or other disadvantages you have due to how you gotten them. But regardless, all players can and must do their footwork in order to successfully jump smash. Afterward, no matter how low or high you jump, you are good to go if you can smash over the net. You know how you feel and your own physical attributes to its limit. If you think you can do better, jump higher, or whatever gain (stamina, power, form, ect...) you receive by practice, use your determination. In essence, you have to know that you can get hurt while jump smashing. If you don't have patience, jump smashes are not for you. There is no other way to say this than to bluntly advise- Be mature and sportsmanlike then you will achieve the jump smash.

Best wishes,
    Merry Christmas

19. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

It's true, never assume the opponent cannot return your jumpsmashes. Playing against a competent doubles opponent expect the smashes to be return multiple times.

There's where the support and threat of the front-man is critical for a successful kill. Baseline jumpsmashes is not that threatening at a high level badminton.

Jumpsmashes is only successful if it's a halfcourt jumpsmash.

In singles, the pros set it up by playing a very good netshot to force a weak return for the jumpsmash.

Disclaimer: Based on keen observation, I know the theory doesn't mean I can actually do it. :D
    cheers

20. SeizeTheDay

SeizeTheDay Regular Member

IT
    Chinese National Team Jumping Smash Practice

This is how Chinese National Team practicing their jumping smash.

http://v.ttymq.com/index.php/video/index/299

The second player in red shirt (closest to the camera) looks like Lin Dan...the way he moves, he jumps, he smashes and he walks.:confused:

Enjoy!!!