Top 10 most tiring sports?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ilostmybrain, Dec 21, 2009.

1. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys, my friends and i had a debate saying which sports are more tiring,

on one side, the badminton side, we say that, of course badminton is more tiring since you have to move ALOT and sometimes you're against players who can smash over 150 kph,

so ya, give me a list. and by the way, if your thinking of soccer or basketball, your wrong actually, soccer, you have like 20 people on your team and all you need to do are light jogs and passing, basically the same with basketball.

2. Arief

Arief Regular Member

light jogs? :eek: have u even played a proper game of soccer before?

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Am from the UK, soccer or as we call it football is very tiring. U should play 5 a side indoor football, ul be wrecked after 5 mins!! No joke lol.

Plus the real thing, is played on a massive outdoor pitch, so lots of running. In 1 match, a player can run up to 12 miles so thats a lot of running!!

4. druss

druss Regular Member

If you look up a table showing calories burned you'll find that while competitive badminton is up there it is by no means the top. Competitive soccer is one of the highest (unless you're the goalie), and basketball is still higher than badminton.

5. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Your right, I play indoor 5 a side or outdoor 7 a-side (twice a week). If you have not played, you wont understand how much stamina is required!!

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Futsal indeed, icehockey, fieldhockey, basketball as well. Jiu-jitsu/judo ...

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

swimming, water polo (try spending an hour)...........a few would say, a 100 miles bicycle ride..;)

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Waterpolo, good call [​IMG]. + Boxing ...

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

badminton, rugby, wrestling:D

10. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Cross country skiing is the MOST tiring sport of all - I'm sorta surprised it hasn't been mentioned before...

11. druss

druss Regular Member

Is this list supposed to be based on personal experience? Cross country skiing is probably up there but no more so than many others.

It also depends at what level you're talking about. Top level anything is going to be physically demanding. If it comes down to it, I think a lot of vehicle racing (Rally, Lemans, Formula 1... etc.) is demanding, there aren't that many sports out there that require you to concentrate that hard for that long.

12. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    how about golf?
    is it tiring?

13. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

They just happen to be the most fit people in the world when a study where their fitness is measured is performed. Where the best badmintonplayers are @ eighties(8x) they are around the ninethies(9x).... Hence leading to me saying that it is probably the most tiresome sport...

14. Superstar

Superstar Regular Member

How to compare apple to apple

Marathon..............
    After finishing my marathon, my muscle ached till i walked with a limp home.....

I would say if you play soccer or basketball or tennis or badminton or swimming for 1 full hour each, the tiredness should be similar. But if I play with a weak player in a competition for 15 minutes, compare to I play soccer for full 90 minutes, which is more tiring, you can guess.....

I run marathon for 4 plus hour and you can guess how tired it can be.

But I can say that badminton player earn peanut compare to soccer, tennis player.

15. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Hmm, the triathlon would also be a good guess...

16. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

scaling mount kilmanjaro or mount everest!

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You all think you know tiring sports, ha! ;)

Try darts or snooker/billiards

Darts: do know know how knackering it is to have to walk all 5 steps up to the ockie (sp?) to throw a dart WHILE balancing a pint in the other hand? Truly a gruelling endeavour

Snooker/billiards: Imagine the fatigue of sitting 15 minutes in between shots dressed in a tuxedo while sipping scotch or some hard liquor, then making a complete b@ll@cks of your shot in a matter of 10 seconds. How can you say that doesn't beat you down physically.

I would have voted for lawn bowls as well but they actually run (and I use that term very loosely) after their bowl.

-----------------------------------------------

On a more serious note, from personal experience, if played properly I find these sports particularly energy sapping:
    - soccer/football
    - badminton
    - squash
    - skiing/snowboarding
    - rugby
    - cross country

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    How taxing a sport is is very much depending on at what level it is performed..

If Lin Dan plays Michel Phelps in badminton I am sure Michels will be out of air faster than LD :) and it will not be very taxing for Lin Dan...

If we are talking pure aerobic endurance, running, swiming, skiing, cycling is the most tiring.

The types of endurance are aerobic endurance, anaerobic endurance, speed endurance and strength endurance. A sound basis of aerobic endurance is fundamental for all events.

Generally I would say the hardest sports to train for are sports where a combination of all types of endurance are required.. Training for running is in a way much easer than to train for badminton, boxing, wrstling, MMA or fencing, where strenght and explosive speed and anaerobic work is a big part of the sport.

I could play soccer by just position myself in front of the goal and wait for someone to give me a good pass, or I could play 90 minues running to cover the court both in defence and offence.. That would be to tirining for me.. So how tiring it is all depends how the game is played and at what level..

I think in many comparisons (esepially made in western europe / us) the calori expenditure etc of badminton are underestimated becase they do not use data from athletes competing, but rather from recreational players.

I thnk the olympic ogranisation here in sweden did some evaluation ov all athletes pfysical profiles (strenght, endurance, agility, stamina, etc) a few years back, and badminton player where scoring very high togheter with fencers, wrestlers, boxers.. soccer players, runners, strenght-athletes, tennis-players etc. generally did not do that great when combining both strength, endurance and agility..

/Twobeer

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    like to add rowing

20. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

#20 MetalOrange, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009