rowing for fitness

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gingerphil79, Dec 21, 2009.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Hi guys, I just bought a rowing machine so that over the christmas period, it will keep me fit and get the muscles strong so that when the second half of the season starts, i will be ready unlike every1 else who will be unfit due to eating too much over xmas lol :p

Is it best to keep it at light resistance for long period like 20 mins? or high resistance for short time like 5 mins? I thought is also be best to go slow at times and then fast for like a min, slow, fast etc

My fitness is decent, My singles fitness is better than what it was but I still feel I get tired to quickly but gud thing is I recover quickly!

Any training program I could do that would really improve my fitness and muscle strength with regards to using the rowing machine??

Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated

Cheers :D

2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Nice idea Phil!

It is strange , I have recently started a bit of rowing myself!

I have been also thinking about how I should train myself with it.

Normally I find that I have good stamina , but all it takes is 1 very big point for me to get really tired.

I am thinking that I would do a medium rowing pace , then incorporate short bursts of high intensity for like 30-40 seconds.

3. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

There's different ways of approaching this phil, you can either do what Kriss does and go at it in fast, short bursts, or you can try to go as long as possible at a fair pace. But always start with a few minutes warming up at a slow but increasing pace.