hitting a shuttle before it tip to the other side

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kooixh, Dec 22, 2009.

1. kooixh

kooixh Regular Member

student
    when i was in my club my friend had a luck shot where the shuttle lands on the net and tip to my side but while it was still on the net i hit it without touching the net and it its called foul

2. druss

druss Regular Member

depends on if the shuttle was on your side when you hit it or not, tough call to make and who made the call anyway?

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    how did you manage to hit it without hitting the net? i'm imagining it now actually, seems pretty hard lol

4. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    This is my understanding of the rule:

1) If you hit the net, you lose the point

2) If at the moment you hit the shuttle, it was at your opponent's side, you lose the point.

3) This is pretty much given with the 2nd rule, but if at the moment you hit the shuttle, your racket is past the vertical plane of the net, you lose the point.

Since you didn't touch the net, if you also did not pass the vertical plane of the net, you win the point.

I'm imagining you hitting that shot; and it was rather close. I would use the trust system if it was just a recreational game. If you say you didn't pass the vertical plane of the net, then you should win the point.

5. LOW L S

LOW L S Regular Member

Student
    Your allowed to follow through your shot as long as you don't strike the shuttle on your opponents side.

A fault whenin play, a player;
    13.4.2 invades an opponent's court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker's side of the net;

6. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    but in my opinion, its not about the rules in this situation...its more about actually being able to hit a shot like that during a game AND not touching the net.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If the shuttle was still on the net it must mean that some part of the shuttle was still in the opponents' court. I'm not sure if the shuttle-crossing rule applies to the whole shuttle or just the base - if the former, it's a fault; if the latter, and there was no breaking of any other associated Law, then it's your point.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Neither: it applies specifically to the (initial) point of contact between the racket and the shuttle. Usually this is the base, but occasionally it's the feathers.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ah, so even if the shuttle is only part way across the net, it's a legal shot as long as the point of contact is within your own court? Good to know!:)

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To be precise, here's the relevant law:

It's not completely clear what happens when the contact point is on the striker's side, but the top of the racket is on the other side. I suspect that this distinction is so fine as to be irrelevant, given that calls are still made by humans without the aid of video replays.

(See also this thread.)

#10 Gollum, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  11. Ava945

Ava945 Regular Member

student
    If you want to see this, there's a very good example in the 2010 All England Men Single Quarter Final Gade vs Hidayat.
    In the 3rd rallye Hidayat lands the bird on the net and Gade just hits the feathers and it falls on Hidayats side. The Umpire called it good.
    Beautiful example for this

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I saw that point - our commentators complimented the umpire on his decision. There was another very similar one in the All England XD final of 2008: Gao/Zheng had completely outmanoeuvred Kellogg/Clark forcing a loose backhand from Kellogg, so Zheng Bo steamed into the net to kill it off and was faulted.

After watching the slo-mo replay I agreed with the decision because the shuttle had not completely crossed the net, but now it appears he was hard done by. Oh well, they won anyway:p.

13. matt30mb

matt30mb Regular Member

On my oppinion it is absolutely not possible to hit the shuttle (if it is ON the net) while it is still on the other side unless you hit the net also ...
    Therefore it can not be foulted if the net is not touched...
    Just make a simple training ... put the shuttles ON to the net with feathers down and the base up and then try to hit them without touching the net ...

14. Flick Serve

Flick Serve Regular Member

Student
    Rather than make a new thread for this, as it seemed similar to the topic, there was a question I wanted to ask.

One time when I was playing in my local club, perhaps the net wasn't particularly well tied, the shuttle was hit in a way such that it became balanced on the cord.

It wasn't falling, it was balanced. I was playing against the people (doubles) who hit the shot and was of the opinion I could give it a tap with my racket and knock it over, it was the cork that was balanced on my side.
    In the end we simply retook the serve

15. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Actually, Lin Dan performed a shot similar to this in the 2008 Olympic Games. He purposely used the frame of his racket to do a net kill. It was shown in slow motion too and it was a legal shot. So technically you can hit that bird over the net without touching the net.