Furthering smash power

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pk_volt, Dec 24, 2009.

1. pk_volt

pk_volt Regular Member

I just received my Apac Lethal 70 and I put the APAC grip over the existing one to get a thicker and spongier grip with strings strung at 23 lbs.

Anyways, I have a really good feeling of how to snap not just my wrist, but my arm as well and I get decent results, but I think there's still a long ways to go.

Any of you guys know of any tips/tricks or training techniques on how to get even more power? How much does the raquet specs play a role into smashing power?

2. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

I think the pros snap their entire body bro. Try to see frame by frame of a powerful smash. The entire body/back bends backwards and snaps forward like a freaking bow. Not sure about the health benefits of doing this though...

3. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    Strengthen your core muscle will help.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Yep, a proper smash is done with the whole body, from the feet right to the wrist.

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    some says it ying and yang. Timing is crucial.

6. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    You're not going to be able to smash winners all the time. Simply placing a smash is a lot more effective than banging it wherever you can as hard as you can. Take this into consideration as all you're doing is burning up energy and people can use the momentum of your smash to push it back to you.

7. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

First practice your movement, Try holding a the shuttle nose with your thumb and the rest of the shuttle with your index finger. Try to throw the shuttle as far as you can by standing side on and throw 180 degrees using one step.
    By doing this you are generating the right motion to smash.

A jump smash, correctly stated is all crucial with timing and changing the power from legs to arm. Wrist again plays a lot in the snapping.

As for smash based game: Spot on, a lot of young talented player's play there A-game by just constantly smashing and a flat game. If you're experienced and your defensive game is good enough, a lot of players can counter. In this sense, you should always have a B-game, and pick your smashes out.

8. pk_volt

pk_volt Regular Member

thanks for the replies.

I think the swing, wrist and torso makes sense on how contribute to the overall power of a smash, but still not quite sure on how to use my legs and feets for either stand or jump smash.

Can anyone elaborate or post videos for training exercises?

9. wiifanatic

wiifanatic New Member

Here's a video that explains the technique

10. shogun90

shogun90 Regular Member

What is a better way to smash? Protonating, suppinating or just hitting the shuttle flat. Most of the videos I've seen show the players protonating their arms when smashing. Would the differences in spin on the shuttle make a difference?

11. druss

druss Regular Member

With proper technique there should be almost no spin when pronating as the racket face should be face on towards the direction you want to hit it at contact.

12. alexh

alexh Regular Member

It's nothing to do with spin. Pronating is about generating racket head speed. Pronation=more speed=more power.

13. shogun90

shogun90 Regular Member

What about hitting it like a slice. I come from a tennis background and the slice is more natural for me, but see footage of protonation when players serve their flat first serves.

14. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Do NOT hit a slice motion with the smash. I find the slice causes the birdie to spin more, which actually slows the birdie down. Theoretically, I suppose with enough spin, the birdie could "tunnel" through the air, but good luck trying to put that much spin on it. I know someone who is highly proficient at both tennis and badminton, and he says there is not a single motion that tennis and badminton both use, very different racket sports. Smashes should not be sliced.

15. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    I would have to disagree with your comment about tennis. The badminton smash is identical to the tennis serve. That is, if they do the regular serve and not the slice technique in the serve.

Maria Sharipova: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjt9K_iEC2U

Starting from 5 seconds, it is the exactly the same as the badminton smash. It can also be argued that it is also exactly like a clear if the contact point was not so much in front of her.

#15 BrioCloud, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  16. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    I'll concede that her slice serve motion does mimic the motion of hitting a smash, but I should clarify my comment: Tennis and badminton do not share the same motion for the same shot. We had a lengthy discussion over the equivalent shots in each sport and we found that because of the large difference in ball mass and racket mass, we could not really find similar motions. Now while this slice serve is like a badminton smash, its certainly nothing like a badminton slice serve.

As for your second comment, yes if she moved the contact point back enough, it'd hit like a clear. In badminton, if you move the contact point far enough back in a smash motion, and it'd turn into a clear. So while it can be argued, I find that too much of a stretch. Tennis has no clearing motion. Hit a clearing motion and that ball is either out, or so weak that the opponent would simply have their way with you after you hit it.

17. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    I don't see her doing a slice serve. I see her doing a serve that looks exactly like a smash.

Your comment is "Tennis and badminton do not share the same motion for the same shot."

The names of shots does not matter. What matters is, the serve in tennis, and the smash in badminton are identical. Debating between the motion similarities of the names of lets say a backhand drop in tennis, and a backhand drop in badminton is meaningless.

Do you go to UC Davis? I'm go to Davis. o_O

#17 BrioCloud, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  18. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Sorry, miscommented. I myself don't play tennis. Thus I needed a discussion with my tennis friend instead of with myself XP

I figured he's good enough to know well enough the motions: he made traveling team last fall quarter at UCD, but didn't have the time to play.

Yes I go to UCD, I'm a second year Biochem major. Do you go to Davis? And I see you're also a new-ish member here, welcome to the forums.

Back to the original point though, I still maintain hitting a slice motion with the smash slows it down. While it makes for a weak smash, if done properly, it could be a tactic in deception. Providing you have a good regular smash to go along with that "slice smash."

19. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    I'm actually a very old veteran here. But I made a new username. =/

I've PMed the moderator or something a long time ago, and they won't switch my username. T_T

I'm a freshmen Human Development major.

While it is true that the slice slows down a smash, I don't recall us debating that argument.

20. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    you 2 play at the davis open?