User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Correct way of calibrating drop weight machine

Hi guys,

I want to ask you the correct way of calibrating a drop weight machine.
    Here you see a fish scale mounted on the "North post" (This is just a pic from the internet. I have a similar machine and setup (Pro's Pro Pioneer)). When I do this, then the fish scale measures 1 kg/ 2 pounds more than the drop weight itself. But, is this the correct way?
    If I mount the fish scale to the "South post", then it measures even more, around 2 kg/ 4 pounds more. The closer the fish scale is to the gripper, the higher the measurement.

Please tell me the correct way, so I know how much I have to adjust my scaling.
    It's funny though. When I measured my machine 2 years ago, the fish scale measured almost exactly the given weight on my machine. I have no idea what could have resulted in this higher measurement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my experience was that the tension readings will depend on the final position of the gripper. in my particular case (an identical machine as shown), the correct tension corresponding to the scale occurs when final position of the gripper sits at around 7 to 8 o'clock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edlui888 View Post
    my experience was that the tension readings will depend on the final position of the gripper. in my particular case (an identical machine as shown), the correct tension corresponding to the scale occurs when final position of the gripper sits at around 7 to 8 o'clock.
    IMO that can never be a proper judgement. When pulling with 30 pounds the gripper will turn further compared to pulling with 20 pounds.

The dropweight should be perfectly horizontal. Don't mind the gripper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keeping everythings constant as you tested years ago, either the fish scale is bad or the gravity has changed!, had you calibrated your scale as well? my 20 years old drop weight is accurate as new, drop weight don't need to calibrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity, I also checked if my Pro's Pro Challenger dropweight machine is calibrated correctly. I used a fish scale as shown in post #1. The result: The scale showed consistently between 0.5 to 0.7 kg less than the set weight (so a bit more than 1 lb.) over the range of 8-14 kg.

Has anyone else noticed comparable deviations between the set weight on the machine and the actual result? Since it is a dropweight machine, the only miscalibration could be that the weight indicator on the lever is glued incorrectly.