Yelling or grunting when hiting bird

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AMD64, Dec 26, 2009.

1. AMD64

AMD64 Regular Member

Is it legal to yell when hiting the bird. Some people I play with say its illegal because it distracts them. I find that it gives me more energy and I can smash harder and do better deception. Like instead of normally yell when smash I do a fast drop etc... I play a lot worse if I don' t make a loud sound :crying:.

2. druss

druss Regular Member

It depends, the rules are a little vague in that regard. If it's truly distracting then it can be considered a fault but many pros also do it.

3. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You should yell when you net drop and serve too.

Yelling actually gives you more adrenaline I believe. It was shown on the Discovery channel of a person breaking concrete bricks. The difference in power with yelling and without.

4. okieoutie

okieoutie Regular Member

IT
    What about breaking concrete bricks with your head before every serve?:D

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

No, you don't need that much power on a serve. You need to carry a bag of concrete bricks with you on court, so that you can break one before every smash.

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    As long as it isn't too loud and doesn't go on for too long, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're still grunting when the shuttle has reached the other side of the net and your opponent is about to hit it, I think they have a case against you for distracting them. I suppose that really, the issue of grunting and whether you are being unfair or not would be down to any umpire or tournament director you deal with - be aware that different people have different opinions on the matter.

7. AMD64

AMD64 Regular Member

It is when I make contact with the bird. I see the pros do it all the time but the referee never says anything. Is there anything in the rules about the matter? Its just that when I yell I make a huge sudden sound and it scares my opponents and they think thats why they can' t react right to my smash. But if there is nothing in the rule book saying it is illegal than its more of the opponant trying to use it to his advantage so I don' t play as well. Because I been doing it for so long that I feel it gives me better concentration and energy. In tennis I see them grunting all the time like Monica Seles. If the opponant is intimidated by it than its there problem. Because what is a distraction besides outside distraction. I can say that your so butt ugly that it distracts me or that flourescent shirt is so bright that it distracts me so change it, lol. Its all so arbitary and trite. Anyone here an official here? Please comment.

8. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I find it pretty annoying. I make noise with my strings.

9. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Personally I think it's more of a problem with players excessively shouting after winning a point, particularly in doubles. Since more often than not the shouting is directed at the opponent (s) with the umpire not really doing anything about it.

10. k.j.herrmann

k.j.herrmann New Member

He guys,
    please don't train this behaviour ever. It would destroy the beauty of badminton, make it more like the profane tennis circus. There is the place to yell and act like a wounded animal on each hit. Just watch a tennis tournament (the next ATP would do it). Do you like that!!! I never saw you playing but i guess, you could do much improvement when you get some pro training sessions on foot work or some advanced techniques (i do not want to question your skills or your level, sorry if you feel insulted).
    No, yelling on badminton court is not a way to make badminton better sport.

11. psychophant

psychophant Regular Member

Pedicurist
    yeah, i have seen pro players celebrating their opponents' mistakes rather excessively and subsequently being warned by the umpire.

as for noises/grunts/yells WHILE hitting the bird, i guess for some ppl, it really helps exert that bit more power. on the other hand, making noises while doing drops/net/lob is just plain annoying. :rolleyes: