User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it okay to ask what the Jimbo incident was... (sorry, curiosity getting the better of me)?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phaarix View Post
    Is it okay to ask what the Jimbo incident was... (sorry, curiosity getting the better of me)?
    I am curious too but didn't dare to ask.
    Thanks mate.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    I am curious too but didn't dare to ask.
    Thanks mate.
    check out the only purple colour font colour post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Not sure why I got dragged into this thread by chris. But, here's my 2.5 cents

Well, I love to be proven wrong but I am not sure if threads like this is going to stop the abuse of BadmintonCentral. Many threads like this has been created and being put on the sticky threads but I don't really see much improvement in recent years.

I think having different opinions is fine but when people starts to argue, that's when things becomes ugly. If people merely stated their opinions and remain minimum interaction with others(not quoting anyone post and not discuss about issues), this will make BadmintonCentral a really dulled place to be.

Example: I think Lin Dan is great, but that's just my opinion. OK thanks.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the above example and it is not considered rude either, but it has no interaction with other fans in BadmintonCentral. To the eyes of many, this post is as good as being redundant(hey, face it, not many people are interested in who your idol is). When you have more interactions with others in your post, there's when things start to become interesting. Truth is you can either agree or disagree with others(unless you stay neutral and not posting any). When the wrong choice of words are being used and the posts being interpreted differently, this is when situation becomes tense. For those who agree with each other, they formed a gang, desperately mock the opposing party to prove their points and the opposing party couldn't shallow their pride and decided to go an eye for an eye. As a result, this becomes a never ending circle and eventually lead to catastrophe.

Now, the millionaire question is: How can we be tactful enough to avoid this from happening in the first place?

1) Put yourself in the shoe of others. If you find that other party might get offended. Don't post or at least be tactful when you post.
    2) Ask yourself, is my message ever going to get through to the other party? If you know that the other party has a strong opinion on this issue, consider only posting once just to clarify your standpoint. If the other party disagree with you(or verbally attacked you), leave it be because you dont need to filled the thread with various posts just to get one single point through. You save your time and the server's bandwidth, a win win situation.
    3) Talk about the issue and try not to get off topic.
    Example: This is a fake racket. How could you not tell?It's so blatantly obvious, you are so stupid!!!
    From the above post...You could tell that other than the first sentence, everything else is redundant(as they were not meant to talk about issue at hand). So why post something that is redundant and steer the thread off topic?
    4) Some people are just bored with their life, they just love to make fun of others in order to seek attention(trolls...sounds familiar?). IMHO, it is better not to respond to these kind of people. It takes 2 hands to clap, if you ignore them, they will stop posting eventually to avoid appearing silly in front of others. Feed the troll at your own risk and remember that you won't gain anything by arguing with them.

If a poster can act as above, probably BadmintonCentral will be a much better place. But this alone won't be enough to eradicate all the problems because incidentally BCers are consist of people with different cultural background, sense of humour and age group. Thus, misunderstandings could occur if one is not sensitive enough when putting their thoughts across. The only solution to this is probably to have the moderators draw the line which they considered one should not cross (enforcement). This is very difficult to do...but not impossible. Whether we have enough moderators or do moderators have enough time to monitor and maintain this is another different issue all together.
    Last edited by majyun; 12-29-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by majyun View Post
    Well, I love to be proven wrong but I am not sure if threads like this is going to stop the abuse of BadmintonCentral. Many threads like this has been created and being put on the sticky threads but I don't really see much improvement in recent years.
    I agree. These threads are preaching to the converted.

Do we really need three separate stickies exhorting people to be nice to each other? It's clutter that gets in the way of the real content.

If you want people to read important notices, then limit their number: the more "read this first!" notices you post, the less likely it is that someone will read them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Not to be rude to others when debating

Quote Originally Posted by majyun View Post

I think having different opinions is fine but when people starts to argue, that's when things becomes ugly. If people merely stated their opinions and remain minimum interaction with others(not quoting anyone post and not discuss about issues), this will make BadmintonCentral a really dulled place to be.

Thanks majyun, Good points were raised in your post.

A thread like this is to remind BCers not to be rude to others when debating. It is to remind us BCers to be more civilised.

Exchanging our opinions in a debate is actually very healthy. BCers find it good to listen to the opinions of others. But when we start to fight and quarrel, our BCers will leave.

Perhaps, this can be visualised - say, a group of us BCers gathered in a room.

We start to discuss a topic. Some in the room start getting annoyed when they find others are not agreeing with their opinions. They start to raise their voice hoping others will pay more attention to their ideas/opinions. Then, others who are opposing their ideas also start to raise their voice to reply. It becomes very heated. It ends up like a shouting match. Many BCers start leaving the room. They could not stand noise level; the yelling and the screaming. Things have become disorganised.

In the end, only a very few handful of BCers are left in the room - this time using their fists punching each other to prove who are the stronger ones, not just their mental but physical.

What's happened in that room could happen to our BC forum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Follow the rules and regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

Do we really need three separate stickies exhorting people to be nice to each other? It's clutter that gets in the way of the real content.

If you want people to read important notices, then limit their number: the more "read this first!" notices you post, the less likely it is that someone will read them.

Well, drifit said it earlier (Post #24); It's FOC (Freedom of Choice):
    Follow the rules and regulations. If not, they are free to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

Simple solution : Ban some people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another solution..

..(and to show civility) is for members to learn & use the freakin' PM function!! Yes, take the PM route & please don't be afraid to use that Private Messaging function if anyone wants to settle something (personal) with another member (or discuss something off topic).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think abusing members by PM is any better than doing it out in the open, personally. That would make it even less regulated, were that possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another way is to get a bcer member who is also a lawyer and post a new thread - lawyer for hire! just maybe this will slow down things a bit..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Even via PM, BCers can drive each other insane

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post

..(and to show civility) is for members to learn & use the freakin' PM function!! Yes, take the PM route & please don't be afraid to use that Private Messaging function if anyone wants to settle something (personal) with another member (or discuss something off topic).

Even via PM, BCers can still drive each other insane.

Here is an example:
    "i agreed with u , i need to be humble... i will learn from better players.. thank you for your advice ... but this guy keeps bullying me in the forum and pm me also.. , he is stressing me , he is saying things which is not true... He says he wants to smash me up... I cant be friend with a violent person .. he is driving me mentally stressed!"

So, Destricto_Ense could be right, commenting that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Destricto_Ense View Post

I don't think abusing members by PM is any better than doing it out in the open, personally. That would make it even less regulated, were that possible.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arent the famous jimbo incident was happen in pm?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default *sigh*..

Quote Originally Posted by Destricto_Ense View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Even via PM, BCers can still drive each other insane.
    I'm not suggesting abusing/attacking other members won't happen through PM; yes, it could happen. But the point is, rather than muck up the entire thread w/personal attacks or off topic chit-chats, and then having the mods delete the posts and/or lock up the thread, members could do their own "attacks" through PM rather than have them spill over into the thread.
    That's the whole purpose of using the PM (and yes, i've used it before for the same purpose). In other words, "take it to the side". Don't make whatever the personal attacks are spill into the public, unless one wants to get banned or get the posts deleted; or even worse, have the BC community read and even laugh at the posts.
    Which one would you guys prefer, keeping a thread open & civil or get it locked??
    Get it??..

So, the main reason why people tend to use the thread/keep making posts, during debates/arguments, rather than through PM is:
    So that other members would get their point across & other members would read their posts, even if the posts are off topic/personal. In a way, there's a bit of ADHD involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    arent the famous jimbo incident was happen in pm?
    ..if i recall (from another member, since i wasn't around when it happened), it was started through PM **but** it wasn't kept privy (one party decided to share the "offensive" PMs w/a few other members; hence a few others found out; not sure if the issue was spilled into the public or not; if the 2 of them kept it confidential between themselves and the admin., no one would know; but then that's even easier said than done).
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-30-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Probably, it's a troll

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post

So, the main reason why people tend to use the thread/keep making posts, during debates/arguments, rather than through PM is:
    So that other members would get their point across & other members would read their posts, even if the posts are off topic/personal. In a way, there's a bit of ADHD involved.

Probably ADHD is not involved. Probably it's a troll.

RationalWiki has described this behaviour: click HERE

A troll in Internetspeak refers to an entity which involves itself in discussions purely for the purpose of disturbing other users and making itself feel important.

Characteristics
    A troll usually has little or no interest in contributing to the development of the site in question and is interested in :
    • Deliberately angering people.
    • Breaking the normal flow of debate/discussion.
    • Deliberately being annoying for the sake of being obnoxious. For instance, using abusive names to refer to all the members on the site.
    • Making itself the main topic of interest or discussion.
    Motives
    It is probable that, for the troll, the last point is the most important. To this end it will post deliberately inflammatory messages which generate inflammatory responses; complain about being the victim of the inflammatory responses; endeavor to obtain allies against the discrimination it feels; turn on those same allies, etc. etc. The whole objective of the exercise being to make the troll feel that it is the most important thing on the site.

If a poster begins to post comments along the lines of, “Can’t you see how stupid you all are?” or “I keep laughing at all of you,” there is high probability that the poster is a troll.

Treatment
    Because the troll feeds on having its name mentioned or by generating debate or ill feeling, many internet users either ignore the troll completely or respond with the phrase, “Don’t Feed the Troll.

(Alternatively, on Rationalwik, users can enter {{DFTT}} bringing up this image: - which means the same thing.)

Some users engage in "Troll Baiting". In this unkind sport the objective is to turn the tables on the troll so that it becomes enraged. While mildly amusing in the short term it is rarely successful in driving the troll away.

Most importantly, trolls take away from productive work. The only ethical way to avoid this is to stop feeding the troll and go about your usual work.

Caveat
    It is, of course an improper argumentum ad hominem (personal attack), when you accuse a user of being a troll just because you don't like what they are saying or the way they are saying it. Don't accuse someone of being a troll just to dismiss their argument. Just because you disagree doesn't necessarily mean the user is trying to be disruptive, so it is necessary to measure the suspected troll against the description given above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chris-ccc,

i think it also meant trolls (subliminal) from the LOR trilogy!

MetalOrange

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast