What kind of strings should an “intermediate” player use on a MP77??

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Pieter, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Pieter

Pieter New Member

Hi,

The Titanium BG 65 strings on my MP77 broke only after a couple of weeks of play. Considering I prefer to play singles and like to use my smash can you recommend a type of string and string tension that I should use and will last longer??

2. Karakal Toronto

Karakal Toronto New Member

Badminton Retailer
    String tension is up to you Pieter however i would recommend the BG-65. When using the BG65 string keep in mind that it does lose about 1-1.5 pounds after a week or so play depending on how much you play. BG65 has amazing durability but does not sustain tensions very well. Personally i use BG65 and i string 1-2 pounds higher than the tension i require so when the string settles it will be at the desired tension. At the moment i string at 25 lb however i will be switching to 26 because i still find that too much tension is loss with the 25 pounds. Another option you have is the BG70pro. It holds tension well and durability is up there however you'll be paying a little bit more. In toronto including string and labour bg65 costs 18 dollars and bg70pro costs 22. It's a 4 dollar difference. It's not a big deal but to students it is alot of money. String tension like i said earlier is up to the individual. It's what your comfortable with. If you string to high you might break the string early because of mishits. If you want to try high tensions i would suggest a gradual increase in your string tension.

Cheers,
    Nick

3. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Regular Member

Well, I own a MP-77 as well, and I find that stringing it with BG-68TI at 21lbs. work wonders for me! It's great for smashing, and has alot of control! :D

4. Carbonex Player

Carbonex Player Regular Member

Student
    BG70
    made for hard hitters and for plastic birds
    plastic birds might be the reason y ur string is dying so fast.
    like myself ---> 5 string in 6months. =P

5. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

I always joke with my friends that players who smash alot and break their strings often should try stringing their rackets with guitar strings instead! lol!
    :D

6. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

hmm... what about guitar strings??? Sure the repulsion might be lacking, and the tension might be easily lost.... but its pretty stiff for great control, right?

7. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I too use my MP 77 with BG 68Ti. When I first used it, the tension was too high (not sure what the tension was but am guessing at 24 or 25 lbs). With the MP 77, I felt that I was hitting with a piece of wood. After the strings broke in and loosened up a bit, the racket feels a lot better; my guesstimate is that the strings are now at 22lbs. A high tension with BG 68 Ti does not give a nice feel given the "hard" feeling from the strings.

I would like to try the MP 77 with BG 66 (will break easily) or BG 80 or 85 at about 22lbs . My guess is that BG 80 or 85 on the MP 77 will be the best match for me (based on reading reports of users, as I have never used BG 80 or 85 before).

Ron

#7 ronk, Nov 28, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2002
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u really care about durability: BG65.

If u want some durability, with better control, power (while, better sound when u hit): BG68Ti