dead vs broken string feeling

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bigredlemon, Nov 23, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

There's a lot of talk about broken strings, but much mention on dead strings. When you see your strings broken, it's pretty obvious it's time to change, but how do you know when your string is dead? I've been playing pretty badly all week, but i thought it was because of an "injury." I just realized last game that when i hit the bird, i couldn't tell whether it hit the string or frame!

They both sound the same and feel the same. So people said that a dead string feels extra bouncy while others said it feels like hitting a rock... so which is it?

Btw, does anyone know what intersection First Markham Place (toronto) is at?

2. ronk

ronk Regular Member

This probably depends on the string and tension. Some "hard" strings, like the BG68Ti, when strung tight feel with a plank rather than a racket. There is not much give. With normal strings and when the strings are old, the tension goes down and it might feel too loose. But when the strings are really old, the material has aged and hardened (like old tires that begin to crack), and the strings loose the natural resilience and begin to feel like hitting with a plank. This hard feeling is not due to high tension or to the "hard" material used but due to the string material hardening up. At this point the racket is not really playable and a restringing is in order.

Ron

3. Kariya

Kariya New Member

First Markham PLace is located at the intersection of highway 7 and woodbine. If you're not familiar, or live far, take the 404 and exit at highway seven, travel about one kilometer east and youull see a large plaza/mall which includes a buisness depot, the plaza next to that is first markham. Just look for the place with all the cars if in doubt.