Removing the cone off a racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by shot3gun, Dec 28, 2009.

1. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

Is removing the cone off of a racket a good idea? Carlton already has rackets that have done it (the Megaflex series). Removing the cone will increase flexibility (or make it seem more flexible) and decrease air resistance.

When I say 'removing' I mean using a power tool and cutting it off.

2. AMD64

AMD64 Regular Member

Bad idea. Without the cone the wood underneath will crack because thats where the racket flexes. And the shaft will fly out of the handle overtime. What you need to do if you want a longer shaft is push the cone up away from the wooden part than shave the wood underneath down to however far you want. Next add some glue to the wooden part where the cone will sit. Than push the cone back down than you tape it and let everything dry for a day. The cone might be tight when you try to take it out. You need to get a awl and run it in between the cone and wood to release the glue that is already there. This will make the shaft more flexible because it is more longer. Of coarse now you have a shorter handle too. Since your removing material the racket balance will be affected. Good luck.

3. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    why you wanna do that ??

4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    any benefits you see in removing the cone...?

5. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

6. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

its also designed by Carlton that way. its not a good idea in my opinion.

7. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

The way I see it, the racket has a shorter clone. If you are interested go ahead and let us know the differences.

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'm going to agree with everyone else - bad idea. Carlton designed that racket in that way, whichever racket you take a powertool to will not be designed in this way and there are likely to be consequences. Just because some Prince rackets have "O3/Ozone" holes in them, you wouldn't drill holes in a conventional racket. The same school of thought applies to the "coneless" design - great when the manufacturer does it, catastrophically bad when you do it yourself.

EDIT: I've just read the item description and looked at the racket you linked to closely. It seems that it does have a cone, just a shorter one than normal. See the quote below;

Presumably, they refer to the cone as a "top cap" and the one on this racket is micro because it's shorter.

EDIT 2: ilovedude beat me to noticing the smaller cone.

#8 Danstevens, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  9. AMD64

AMD64 Regular Member

It looks like there is a cap but its clear plastic so you can see the shaft. I think I seen that on other Carlton designs. I seen one where you have clear cap and the shaft on the inside has a red accoridan type plastic over it. Its more for hype. Personally I feel all rackets feel the same. Just get a cheap graphite one and adjust the balance to your preference and give it a good string job. If I close my eyes and swing, I can' t tell if its a $300 dollar top of the line Yonex or cheap $20 one. But that could be just me being cheap and a hacker :D.

10. Alom

Alom Regular Member

I think the clear plastic is the wrapper over the handle. The cap is all black with the white logo.

You'll be suprised how many people will disagree with you :D
    Sure you can change the balance, what about stiffness, frame durability, feel.. The list could go on..

#10 Alom, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  11. AMD64

AMD64 Regular Member

OF coarse most will disagree because they have spent so much on a racquet already. Most will think just because they spent so much more the racquet must be better. But 99 percent of the time its their training that has improved. Its not the racquet. Just get a good pair of shoes and proper training. Most graphite racquets are all the same. Its just all the marketing mumble jumble that has brain washed most people or they are just rich. I don' t have the money for that stuff. What hits the racquet is the strings and you need proper footwork to get there. The racquet is just a frame and when you get to the point where all graphites are the same now. There is not much difference between a $300 or $25 one. Its just marketing that your paying for and the fact that more suppose to be better. How much more expensive can it be to make a racquet stiffer. I think it costs nothing. I admit I love the paint job of the more expensive racquets. But thats all it is. Its all beauty but underneath its all the same.

12. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Some people would disagree because some of these manufacturers spend money in developing new material (woven, nano carbon etc) and that will therefore increase the cost of the technology implemented racket because they have to get the cost back for the research and development. I don't disagree that a skilled player can probably beat an average player with any racket. Not all graphite rackets are the same, there are different mixtures of other material that go into it and also graphite has different modulus which ranges in price. And the other cost is the manufacturing process, which differs from the basic graphite racket to a racket which consists of high-grade carbon fibre and glass fibre or has high modulus graphite mixed with nano carbon. Yes some budget rackets (apacs L60 & T200) perform as good as rackets which are twice their price tag. To make the racket stiffer, they have to use another grade of graphite and add other material which makes it more expensive. I dont agree that a $25 racket can perform as well as a $300 due to a lower grade material used. But am sure Lin Dan can beat all of us with a $25 racket!!

#12 Alom, Jan 8, 2010
  13. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

agree with the whole training thing, disagree with everything else. Not all graphite rackets are the same. For instance, take an apacs clone like the nano 900 power red, and an Armortec 900 Power. you can feel the difference right there, imo. For me, the AT just has that solidity, while the N900P feels hollow.

As for the whole graphite argument, there are numerous grades of graphite. If you search around BC, you will find this said in many threads, as well as the differences between the grades.

As for the whole cone thing, i hope you didn't try it out....

#13 jymbalaya, Jan 8, 2010
  14. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Snap, exactly what I said :D