Any advices for improving better footwork in singles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xrawrhenry, Dec 30, 2009.

1. xrawrhenry

xrawrhenry Regular Member

Starbucks - Barista
    Hi i am a intermediate player and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to improve my footwork in singles play. For some reason when I use my backhand and clear it, the other opponent always makes it difficult for me to get to the shuttle. I can't really play the rear corners that well. The front I'm okay with but still need improvement. Can anyone give me some tips on improving my game? If so that would be great. If you guys play at sgvbc it will be great if you can visually show me how to do it. Thanks!

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

If you play at SGVBC, I would advise asking the more experienced players there.

3. xrawrhenry

xrawrhenry Regular Member

Starbucks - Barista
    i would ask them too but because the fact that the more experienced, they have become coaches instead. I don't really want to spend $35 and hour getting lessons. Its just too much for my budget :(

4. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

Drilling is key to footwork and mostly technique. You need someone to thread you shuttles, doesn't have to be someone experienced but just to keep your repetition of movement. If you're having problems in the rear and corners, then it's best for someone to hit you shuttles in maybe 3 corners of the court or 2 corners half court initially, and working on them till you can clear good.
    Other Examples can be Smash, Net, Clear etc or work on Cross Court, Net repetetive. Just break down the shots and work on perfecting technique. Footwork comes in naturally if you have the right technique.

Another tip would be not to anticipate your movement too much. Keep cool.

5. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
  6. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Also footwork alone will not get you out of jail if you are pushed to back hand rear corner. Shots in your arsanel and foot work should complement each other. Consider you are pushed to the back hand rear corner and your opponent know that your shot selection is limited, he will be moving close to net to kill any weak reply. And beleive me, 9 out 10 times, your opponent will be succesful if he is an advanced player, however good your drop shot may be.

Here, the way out is having variations to keep your opponent guessing You need to posses a decent clear and a moderate smash or checked smash. That will keep your opponent away from net longer. This will allow you more time to recover to your base.

When you are forced to play a back hand, your primary aim is to present your oponent with a shot that he canot do nothing much.ou can try hitting a checked smash which he will be able to intercept only below net level. If not you can try to get the shuttle behind him if he is standing too close to the net. And make sure, you are not rushing back to the net after you play back hand. just recover and stop when the shuttle reaches your oponent, split drop as he hit and you shoud be able to reach most of the shots he plays from this position.

All the best
    Prince