Need recommendations for new racket (~USD 40)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by stevcool, Jan 2, 2010.

1. stevcool

stevcool Regular Member

student
    Hello everyone.

I used to play badminton a lot from 5th grade to 8th grade but had stopped entirely during high school. Now that i'm a freshman in college i'm picking up the sport again. I've been borrowing my friend's racket for a few months, so i thought it might be a good idea to get my own.

I'm looking for a racket that:

Cost around $40 USD (college budged)
    No preference for brand.
    Weights 85~90g
    Tension 20~24lb, probably 23lb
    Probably lightly head balanced

I'm only playing for fun, so I don't need a racket that is too good.
    Any recommendations?

2. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

due to your budget i think most yonex rackets are out the window, if your willing to pay slightly more these are recommended rackets in the forum

1) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-APACS-NANO-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230460683e
    2) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-APACS-EDGES...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230442f5a8
    3) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-APACS-NANO-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230375d03b

including shipping it would be 48USD slightly above your budget.
    i just got my Lethal 60 from this trader and it's great so far...
    getting a excellent racket at a cheap price is better then getting a random crap yonex at the same price, read around the forum, there will be people recommending these, i personally would suggest you get the nano9900 which should suit your needs
    btw be quick, i brought my lethal a few weeks ago now the price has been raised by $5 and if you look at his shop front there are same models for $5 higher

3. druss

druss Regular Member

I'd also suggest apacs as they're going to be better than the yonex clones you find on ebay for the same price.

4. stevcool

stevcool Regular Member

student
    Thanks a lot. The prices listed are pretty attractive. I wonder if they provide stringing service though. I'm in Michigan right now, and I can't seem to find badminton suppliers anywhere. I'm also not sure if its a good idea to buy from ebay, since the seller is in Malaysia. I would preferably buy a racket from somewhere in the US or Canada, but Apac don't seem to be too popular here.
    Can you also recommend rackets of other brands?
    THanks!

5. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    Apacs is actually quite popular in Canada/US among club players, check apacscanada.com for details. However, their prices may be slightly higher and they charge a bit more for custom strings.

6. stevcool

stevcool Regular Member

student
    yeh, there seems to be a huge difference between the price on the official website and the price offered by the seller on ebay. I wonder why....

7. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

The ebay seller is from Malaysia, where the prices for rackets are generally cheaper. The rackets (except for a few high end ones designed for North America / Europe) are the same though, and that seller is totally legit.

8. stevcool

stevcool Regular Member

student
    Ok thanks
    And can you please tell me what are the differences between the rackets?
    Why would nano 9900 suit me better?

9. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

it came already strunged, you can ask for the tension after you buy...
    clone wise, nanospeed should be more balanced then more attacking rackets such as nano 900(clone of at900) or edgesaber10 (clone of arc10). this is assuming the clone they mention is not just the paint job
    if retailing price has anything 2 do with it, it's higher then the other 2 :p

10. stevcool

stevcool Regular Member

student
  11. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Usually the seller strings it with APACS strings with a tension to your liking. You should email him and confirm all the details (and bargain a little too, maybe).

12. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

well your link is not working, i assume it's the same seller as the one i mentioned, the rackets are probably sold to him unstrunged, then they will string it themselves before it's shipped out, tho the quality of the string provided isn't too good he used an apacs brand string performance 666 or something.
    he buys and sells them in bulk u won't get the exact racket as in the picture that one's probably been sold date of picture is june 1st

13. druss

druss Regular Member

I personally prefer the apacs own rackets over their yonex clones. The lethal 60/70, visible hollow 1800 and tantrum 200/300 especially. I do have the 900 red and white and while good rackets are not as good as the others I've mentioned.

Also, the ebay guy does include strings and will string to your tension preference.

note: rackets are strung, not "strunged" as there is no such word, strung is already the past tense of string