How did you get into badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Your earliest badminton memory..

Here's mine.

Watching TV (around 1978-9). It was strange to see TV sport in UK showing an Asian. It was an Indonesian I think. What struck me most was how his back arched so much in order to hit the shuttle (round the head shot).

Then I always looking for more badminton on TV. Some months later, the magic word popped up. Unfortunately I didn't read carefully enough and I spent the whole afternoon watching horses jumping over fences (the badminton horse trials)..What a let down.....:eek:(

2. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Re: Your earliest badminton memory..

I have more than one:

1)Playing with Daddy and Bro in the void deck of my old flat when I was 8

2)A five-minute footage of Huang Hua playing someone else. I remember my father saying, "that player is Huang Hua".

2)Heryanto Arbi vs Joko Suprianto in the 94 Asian Games MS final. Very memorable match not lest because sth was wrong with my VCR and the match was recorded without a single sound!

Adel

3. jayes

jayes Guest

Hmmm, jogging along my badminton memory lane with lots of cobwebs hindering my view, I can only find snippets of my playing days - seems to be quite busy playing instead of watching that educational telly. Oh, wait, one clear one starts to emerge. Ah, yes, me playing against the wind grimacing on how to hit over the "net" ... a string of some-sort strung across two poles. Then something clicked in the noggin, I switched place, and a smile started to emerge as the shuttle went further than before.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

In 1989, my dad was going to HK so i told him to buy me a cab8. I copied some markings from a racket i saw in calgary store (2UG4) and told him buy a cab8 with that exact marking or serial number. I was so disappointed and somewhat angry when he came back with a cab20 w/black bg65, not the cab8 i wanted. I told him he got bait and switched by a HK salesperson. I didn't touch that cab20 for 2 months. Reflecting back, i was being childish. Presently, i don't use that old cab20 but for a different reason.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

I remember playing in the streets - lines drawn on the ground and later a line tied on nails on outside walls of houses. Every time a car passes we had to untie the "net".

When playing more seriously, I started to play with a wood racquet - Dunlop which belonged to a good friend of mine. Good old times where improving my badminton skills were my only priority!!

6. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

Earliest memory ?

Guess I was about 5 or 6 and we played in the dirt patch in from of my house using some strip of cloth about 10 centimetres across as the net. And lines were 'scribed' onto the dirt and playing barefoot. Yes, it was using wooden rackets passed down from someone ... I can't remember who anyway ...

The oldest match I could remember watching .. ?? Think it was in '81? Han Jian playing with someone .... cannot recall as Han Jian's name was a lot more resounding and I had a cousin who was always raving about him then. And the one match which I think changed my whole perspective of the game was Zhao Jianhua beating Morten Frost in the 1985 All-England finals as a19-year-old rookie.

It was 'The Beautiful Game ' ...

7. lindy

lindy Guest

Among earliest memories.....playing with my aunt when i was ard 4,5...and she always missed the shuttle on purpose..

Then on and off playing in my living room and void deck with sis..

As for an int'l match would be 1992 Uber final between susi and zhaoying. it was from then that I support INA.

8. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I started baddy playing on bare legs on the enterance gate which was abt 5Feet tall with my friends.

I did not like th sport so much but i guess i got hooked on later

9. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I started baddy playing on bare legs on the enterance gate which was abt 5Feet tall with my friends.

I did not like th sport so much but i guess i got hooked on later

10. Bad Man

Bad Man Guest

I was the street player, with the light from the street's lamp
    post. Two wooden rackets, but with 4 or 5 players are queuing
    to play. So, if I wanted to play more, I had to work very hard
    to stay on the street arena. Finally, it was great pleasure to
    beat all guys and gals.
    Nowadays, when I come across a group of players are queuing to
    play Badminton on the street, I would like to say to them that it
    is a great fun, isn't it ?

11. Jeff L

Jeff L Guest

went to backyard

watched people play

got hit by birdie in the head

got on, and went for revenge :)

been in love with it every since

12. May

May Guest

hahahahaha. gud one.

13. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I'll start...

When I went to university, i wanted to take some swimming lessons. So I went to the physical activities building. The pool, unfortunately, was only open when i had class that week. I was bored, and the only thing that looked interesting going on was badminton. (Oddly, no tennis club on campus!) I really sucked when i first started (In my defence, they only provided metal racquets.) Got a lot of encouragement, kept plaing. Still playing today, Several of years later.

Never got around to swimming though, always conflicts with my class schedule!

14. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Went to school and lots of people were playing it, seemed like a fun and popular sport around were i live. So i got myself a 20 dollar raquet, and found out that i liked it more and want to win even more. So then came the expensive raquets and shoes.

15. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    My friend was on the badminton team and he introduced it to me. I started playing with him and then the game has got fun.

My friend and all the other people my age have stopped playing badminton a LONG time ago. I am the only one in my grad class which still plays, promote, and sponsers the sport.

16. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Would be interesting to hear Kwun's story here! ;)

Come on moderators, spill the beans! :D

17. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I would think kwun would be born with a racquet in his hand. :D

18. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Both parents and my uncles played back when we were in taiwan so I just follow them to the clubs and watch them play while hitting on the sideline against a wall or just tossing birds up in the air. During the down-time, the adults would get me on the court where I will then try to hit with them. Did that a few years and then came to the states and played less of badminton, but just recently picked it up again.

19. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    lol, Wonder whether is was a baby size racquet. :D Anyway, my mum introduced me to badminton when I was 5. She used to play for the state, so she taught me how to play badminton.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Since I was kinda disturbing the "after class tutoring session" in junior high school, my teacher "kindly" refer me to the gym. (well, just kick my ass out of classroom, using an alternate and polite way)

Since volleyball and basketball require relatively more ppl to play (not many ppl like me being "kicked" out), I have to settle down on something don't require a lot of ppl to play with.

Then, my badminton "career" starts... many many 0-15 blowouts coming into my mind again... :( :eek: :D