Why overgrip, as opposed to replacement gripping?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by JustinG, Jan 4, 2010.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

As the title says, why overgrip your racket (which does make the handle feel larger and the racket heavier) when you can just replace the original grip?

Personally, I don't like to overgrip very often, because I have small hands so my racket feels kind of loose in my hand; also, I find it makes my racket feel heavier and on top of that, I lose sensitivity (touch).

Thank you

2. The Godfather

The Godfather Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    I overgrip quite a lot as my hands sweat a lot and my grips get very smelly:D.
    I do not put on a replacement grip for two reasons:
    -The cost,A yonex hi soft replacement grip is 2.50Euro where a roal of three super graps is 5Euro.
    -An super grap will be more tackier plus you can get them in almost
    any colour:D

3. druss

druss Regular Member

Sometimes it's because the only grip available is too small for someones hands so you add overgrip to make it more comfortable.

I do both based on the handle size but prefer a slightly coushier grip than the standard one.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

because they're cheaper, easier to replace, easier to wrap up the cone/shaft and in most cases (karakal PU excluded) feels better, mostly because you can change it often.
    That said, If you don't want your grip to get bigger: take of the original grip and wrap two overgrips on the wood....

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

overgrips are nice I would say they are the nicest grips with the exception of karakal ripple grip and karakal PU grip

6. roy b

roy b Regular Member

Exactly chaps :).

That's why I don't bother with (thin, short lasting) overgrips and stick to the occasional replacement with the unbeatable Karakal PU Super :D:D:D.

Roy B.

7. Sl101

Sl101 Regular Member

I am a beginner (play 3-4 months) so my point of view maybe naive but I had standard yonex grip with Yonex overgrap and it just didnt feel right.. Although new to badminton I have played a bit of tennis and have Karakal grips for tennis racket and love it. On a recommendation from this forum I removed the original grip and the overgrap and put on Karakal Super PU. The racket feels much better for it and I can definitively recommend it if you have medium sized hands and you like a tacky feel. No need for an over grip on top of this grip unless you have large hands.

8. The Godfather

The Godfather Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    I agree with sl101 but what i would is take of the original grip put on a replacement grip and the put a super grap over it and keep changing the grap.

9. roy b

roy b Regular Member

The overgrip just doesn't give the grip/feel of a great replacement grip like the Karakal.

In the case you mention, I would recommend the overgrip come first. The replacement grip goes on top of that.

More expensive when you come to replace the replacement grip (because you need to replace the overgrip too), but in my view worth it.