How do we know if the stringer isn't calibrated

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Monster, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I found threads that talk about calibrating the stringer. I have not been able to find one that talks about how a regular player with limited or no stringing knowledge can identify if the stringer hasn;t got his equipment calibrated.

I string my racket at two regular stringers. Both stringers are consistently different at the same prescribed tension (both vector and scalar). How then do we know which the closer to the truth equipment is?

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

From my reading of other posts, my understanding of others suggestion is once you find a good stringer, stick with 1 and don't switch between stringer because just like youe situation, you get different results from different stringer. As long as the stringer is consistent, you will be fine. The tension you give to your stringer is just a starting reference point.

3. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

+1 - I agree with this response :)

4. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I don't think you can calibrate a stringer, all stringers are different. You on the other hand can calibrate a stringing machine, and compare string jobs. You should just stick with one stringer for consistancy, and use the other as a back-up just in case. When I string at a tournament with more than 1 stringer, we compare string jobs to each machine and adjust accordingly, so all the stringers are compareable at the tournament. We also try to keep same stringer with same player to keep consistancy for the players.

5. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I actually meant stringer as the machine and not the human.

I have two places to string and both are more than 100kms apart. And I have two places for stringing because I play both at the city I live and at where I work (both are > 100kms apart).

6. samchan

samchan Regular Member

Racquet stringer
    A stringer (stringing machine in this case) with out calibration done (with a good calibrator) just like driving a car with out speed meter, you will not know how fast you are going!!!
    Unless you are using the Yonex ES-5 Pro / Protech or Tecnifibre TF7000 / 8000 machines (they are self calibrating) even that, still need to check with a calibrator to see from time to time.
    Sam Chan

7. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

you can calibrate the machine to the exact same tension, but different human stringer will have different end result and feel. this is caused by different stringing technique. therefore, there is no good way to tell.