Help on mixed doubles!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Allan, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Allan

Allan Guest

Hi, my partner and I need help on playing mixed doubles..
    We have problems dealing with returns to the back of the court. We both are very weak at smashes and clearing; however we drop pretty well but it becomes too predictable sometimes..
    Any strategies and drills that we can use to improve on this?
    Thanx.

2. Takumi97

Takumi97 Guest

Besides improving your clears and smashes, you should try driving the shuttle. In any case, analyze your stroke for clears/smashes - do you have proper technique? Are you using enough wrist?

3. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    i need help too.. kinda...

yea... ive read the techniques thingz on badmintoncentral and they are really helpful. I especially thought that the tip to alwayz drive the bird and never lob it up is the key to winning... but me and my partner cannot play well against stronger players that can break the strategy... they will either drop the shot or smash it back... how do i handle that??:confused:

4. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    i need mixed doubles strategies!!! ahh!!!

i play at a pretty novice level... inter school leagues.... ive been playing wif my partner for quite a while but we never see mto win against stronger players.... ive read the technigues pages in badminton central and found that the point they made about alwayz driving the bird across the net and never lob it up is a very good pointer... but against stronger teams they seem to have and answer for every shot we make.... ** note** we've played some really good mens doubles teams too... and lost pretty badly... =(

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: i need help too.. kinda...

there is not an easy answer for you except to improve your strokes, strength and range of shots. if you are expecting some magic solution to defeating a stronger team there isn't one. you need to do some homework and training and you need to learn to be able to analyze the strengths of you opponents, and to locate their weaknesses and build strategies on that. not all of them are the same, so there is no one perfect answer that will always work. also, if they are stronger, you can assume they might play smarter as well (although not always the case) that they are able to break your strategies. so you need to work them on both the physical and mental aspect of the game.

drop shots and weak returns in mixed doubles is suicide, especially against a strong mixed team and the lady has the discipline to stay at the net. your partner will be eating a lot of shuttles.

strategy wise, playing the corridors (alleys) is a typical mixed strategy, not needing a lot of strength to perform, but ultimately you need a very strong drive to take advantage of set-ups you make from the polarizing of the opponents positions.

6. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    alrite.. fanx.. but when i play da alleyz... there is a big chance that a drop shot would work.. where a drive would cause it to go out of boundz.. or hit da net... therez da drive where u move ur arm like u would in tennis... can that lift a bird up and then hav it drop down like a spin shot??

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Re: i need help too.. kinda...

Now that you mention it, I do notice that happening a lot in mixed games... or should I say ALWAYS. Even if the female is only slightly weaker than the male, she'll still stay up front. I've never seen an instance (well given I've only been to 2 tourneys ever... n they were all last yr) where the female and male would play equal doubles.

As for placing shots at the forridors, yes it's a good strategy
    another strategy (which involves more energy and I would suppose better technique?) is to smash at the female. Hard and steep. For most people (even males) upfront there's no way of getting those unless they're trained specificly for it (and I understand Mrs. Badrad trains for that? Wouldn't that mesan she would have incrediable reflexes? ;))

8. alex l

alex l Regular Member

how are mixed tactics different from doubles? i know girl stays up but don't really know how to take advantage of any shots they give me except smashing it.

9. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    but still... therez no way of alwayz keeping da bird where itz alwayz my team that is driving it.. therez gonna b timez where they will hav a chance of driving it to us.. wud do i do then??

10. alex l

alex l Regular Member

what school u representing???

North Toronto all the way except we got schooled so bad today in mixed since no one really knows how to play it. some guy on our team constantly has his partner at the rear court and doesn't realize that he should be covering it

11. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    Need help in mixed doubles!!!

hahaha.. im playing for markville... itz in toronto... well suburbz... but yea.. still toronto... good place.. and good ppl too.. lotz of talented playerz... coach... heh.. hez chinese and like 30.. so we all talk chinese to him... -=) he talkz back in chinese too... hahahaa.... ne wayz... yea.. muh tournamentz 2mr.. heh.. uh oh.

12. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    o.. heh.. im playing for markville... itz a school in suburbz of toronto... nice school... great coach.. chinese.. 30 yrz old.. hahaha.. we talk to him in chinese and he tlkaz back.. anywayz.. itz hard to play in mixed doublez.. i need mad help..

13. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Hmmmm, if you run a search, you'll come across many strategies that many people have recommended :)

14. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    heh.. actually no... ive tried.. i typed in like mixed doubles strategies.. and it came out wif like 5.... and that includez this one..

15. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Bleh, not good with search engines are you? Don't search so restrictively, this was the result of searching for mixed doubles in the title field so you get things like mixed doubles tactics, positioning, etc.

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/se...id=39889&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

16. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    ahh.... smart... heh... okie.. but i may end up sif like 100 matches and tahtz gona be hard to go thru...

17. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

All you do is specify which thread to open and then skim through the thread to find some strategies.

Edit: Here's another search for you which I find is more narrowed down to your likings.

18. Matty

Matty Regular Member

Student
    okie.. but can anyone like just tell me sum strategies to work wif?? yea.. i noe im kidna lazy... hehe.. =)

19. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Well, in mixed... at the level you're playing, winning has a lot with how well the guy travels at the back court to drop or smash and how well your partner plays a netshot without getting it killed straight away. So my advice is, work on your footwork and smashing skills and tell your partner to work on her netshots and net kills.

Apart from that, in terms of strategies, I think there's a lot which have been written here:

http://allmy.sytes.net:2778/chapters.cfm?bookid=26

Check chapter 20.

20. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    For the guy it's good to practice half court shots, basically down the line soft pushes. they should go just past the oponent woman, and still in front of the oponent man so he has to move forward. it is also good to practice speeding up this shot so you can catch the man off guard by hitting it fast past him, to the corners.
    G