string tension: oval v iso heads

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bigredlemon, Nov 25, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I know this has been mentioned before but i get a big headache from reading 100 posts that contradict each other. Is this true:

• All iso/square heads must be strung with a 2 pound tension difference at cross and main
    • All round heads are strung with equal tension at
    • a good badminton stringer will know you want a 2 pound difference when stringing your iso racquet, so u dont need to tell him that

is this the concensus?

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    :D well BRL, instead of reading through 100 posts of contradictory remarks, you will now generate another 100 contradictory answers.

I did a quick look at yonex's JP site and looking at the recommended string tension, even for the oval shaped racquets they have the 2 lbs difference for cross and main.

3. bigredlemon

Re: Re: string tension: oval v iso heads

Wow, you can read Japanese too? Any other talents you want to add? ;)

Btw... someone said that all carlton racquets are supposed to be strung at the same cross and main because their have the oval shape.
    When do you do when you string them on your machine?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I believe the extra 2 lb on cross is maily becuase to "keep the head in shape". With high tenision, main strings will pull the head to be a "big circle" (I did once), u have to put extra tension on cross to keep in shape.

Also, another reason could be, for 4 knots, main strings are strung from 2 directions, which have less chance to lose tension. Cross only strung using 1 direction, more chance to lose tension. Therefore, a little bit extra pre-set tension can just cover it up.

Correct me if I am wrong.

5. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    You must have a difference in tension on ALL rackets between cross and main.
    The strings you start with will get a higher tension when the strings that goes the other way are added. Thats why you have to start with lower tension main and higher cross.
    The shape of the head has nothing to do with it.

Hmmm... I think... I don´t know about those really strange shaped rackets, like some oversized Y head freaks.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    U r talking about "1 piece - 2 knots" right?

Because, I don't think this apply to "2 piece - 4 knots". The main and cross are separated string in this case, and while u r pulling cross, it has nothing to do with main.

7. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Re: Re: Re: string tension: oval v iso heads

I can't read japanese, well only the kanji characters since they are chinese characters and I can read chinese. :D

I have never heard that carlton racquets need to be strung at same tension through out and I've been doing them with the 2 lbs difference. This is what I was told. After you strung the main, the racquet is going to look "fat" since only "main" tension is applied. Therefore when you string the cross, you need additional tension to keep the racquet head in the correct shape.

Also, all my asian line Victor racquets, (it's the only brand I own so far), are oval head and they are suppose to be strung w/ the 2 lbs difference as well. So I suggest you go find the person that told you about the carlton racquets and find out for sure why that comment was made.

8. bigredlemon

Re: Re: Re: Re: string tension: oval v iso heads

I found it on an old post here, actually!

9. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    My view on it : (=what i read from other posts, understood and personally think is appropriate)

With 4 knot, main tension may result in higher tension after adding the cross :
    - Because of the cross-weaving, the mainstring has to make a longer path from top to t-joint. Stringlength is same as after stringing the main and therefore tighter.
    - When a round-shaped rackethead is restored in original shape by adding 2 lbs on the cross, the main-string is tightened simply because the distance between both ends has gotten longer.
    During the process of stringing the main, it sounds logical to me that the racket will go rounder after more main strings are done. This may cause already strung mains to loose a bit of tension.

Pulling the extra 2-lbs more on cross-string causing to restore original shape : depends on stringing machine mounting system. With a 2 points machine, yes, going round and back oval is probably done after adding 2 lbs.
    But with a 6-point machine, the rackethead doesn't have the possibility to shape round when stringing the main. So no/less need to add 2 lbs extra to restore original shape.
    With my 6 point machine, i pulled 27 lbs on the mains and did not experience racket distortion.
    When i add 2 lbs on the cross, i notice the frame to come out slightly narrower, when i add 0 or 1 lbs, difference is not noticable.

After stringing the racket, of course forces continue to work. Maybe, adding 2 lbs on the cross will prevent the mains to loose tension fast, as there is a constant force trying to shape the racket more oval.

10. bigredlemon

thanks! after reading your post, i realized what you said makes a lot of sense. I hadnt considered strining from the stringer's perspective before!

11. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

when you string the same tension on both an oval frame and an isometric frame, will there be a difference in eventual string tension when comparing these two frames? i happened to use both an oval and an isometric racquet recently, both strung at the same tension, and i feel the tension on the oval frame seemed to feel harder than that of the iso frame.
    even one of my group's players also commented that my oval frame's tension appeared higher than what it was strung at.