Racket problem:Grommet jumped out

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jojandy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. jojandy

jojandy Regular Member

Student
    Hi BCers,

I got my new racket today (Arcsaber Z) which got stung and I noticed a problem with my racket stringing : One grommet got out of the hole.
    I don't know if it's a big problem, because I fear the frame would crash due to the tension of the strings.
    If anybody could give me advice. Should I cut the strings off immediately so that the racket frame won't suffer continuous damage or isn't it a big problem that needs immediate action because I haven't played with the racket yet.

To view the problem.
    http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/7030/racketframe.jpg

Thanks for the help.

2. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    go back to the stringer and ask for a restring. It shouldn't be a problem. What tension do you play with?

3. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Yeah, take it back to the stringer. Your stringer should have done a better job and made sure that didn't happen to the grommet. First time that I've seen a grommet sticking out soo much! Is the grommet is grazing the metal of the frame? Can't tell from picture. It won't be much of a problem. If the string is grazing the metal, your string will inevitable get damaged there.

4. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

It should not cause any problem. It happens to one of my racquet. The string has not broken yet. And I don't feel any problem playing it. If you could, you should have your stringer to re-string your racquet.

Well, I can't blame my stringer. (I strung my racquets :D)

5. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

ouch i would cut strings and restring
    ask the stringer if he could replace the gomment to

6. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I've NEVER seen that happen before. Granted I haven't been around long, but I've seen tons of rackets and maybe gouged grommets or bent grommets or even broken grommets, but not grommets sticking out. I'd get that fixed immediately. The string pushing down on the grommet against the frame creates extra pressure on an already fragile frame, so I wouldn't even play with it IMO

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

+1 for Alom - if the grommet is sticking that far out there is a strong chance that the string is rubbing directly onto the frame, so take it back to the stringer now (while the bed is still intact, so he can't claim it's your fault).

I've been at this for a while and I've never seen a grommet do this in hundreds and hundreds of rackets. I can only suggest that the stringer pushed it so far out while threading the mains, only noticed after he'd tied them off, and thought "sod it - I'm not starting again!".

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Stringer is not paying attention.
    2) ARC-Z has this minor problem that due to the new grommet design, some grommets are not as tight on the frame as stringer used to. While tensioning the string, the grommet will come out as result.

So, if you have a ARC-Z, please metion the grommet loose issue to your stringer. But FYI, I did have 1 ARC-Z grommet comes out higher than I like during stringing mains. I cut the entire string and redo it for the customer.

9. jojandy

jojandy Regular Member

Student
    Thank you all for helping me out.
    I played a little bit with the racket today, I couldn't resist to try it out but, I'll return the racket to the stringer, I hope I won't have to pay again =S

Here is a link to a view of the inside of the frame
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9172/brokengrommet.jpg

Should I cut off the strings immediately due to the possible damage it would do to the frame or leave it to show the stringer his work so I wouldn't need to pay?

Thanks for the help.

10. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i had that happen once while i was stringing one of my racquets but nowhere near that extent it just poped out a little on one side but there is still more than enough grommet in the frame so that the string isn't rubbing against the frame itself and all that. it happened with tensioning the string and the grommet moved and didn't notice till i was done but was told by a local veteran stringer that since its just out a bit there wouldn't be an issue with it i trust his judgment and there are no other issues to date.

yours is pretty far out though and the biggest worry i can think of is that the string would be touching the inside of the frame causing it to break faster and have other complications.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    obviously u like stringing alot:p

Seriously, i dont see a problem with regard to string longevity. However, that grommet is damaged. On the next restring, ask the stringer to replace that gromment at no extra charge.

#11 cooler, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  12. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    If you want it restrung for free, don't cut, just show him what happened, and he should do a redo for free, except for maybe charging for string if you use his. He should also replace the grommet for free as HE damaged it, but don't be so blunt about it :p

13. Alom

Alom Regular Member

I agree, take it back to the stringer and show it to him ASAP. Don't play with it anymore and don't cut the string. You will need to show it to the stringer and show where the fault is (if you want a free restring). The grommet will also need replacing. From your second picture, I can see that the string in exposed to the raw frame. The string will inevitable get damaged there.

14. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

yup take it back don't cut the string, did you get the racket from the shop that strung for you?
    i guess this is a good reminder to everyone to check your racket before walking out, i always check mine as i've seen people with strings not making the cross pattern at some points, giving you the wrong strings, the tension is clearly not right etc etc....
    bad luck and remember 2 check next time...

15. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Hi

It happens with arcsaber 10 frame constantly if you forget to hold the grommet in place using your finger. The angle at which the string enters the grommet and a short "tail" of a grommet forces it to jump out during stringing. The string will not broke probable because it happens to the one of the last mains, but in your case the grommet is almoust out and touches a frame inside. Talk to you stringer. Do not cut the strings before.

Personally I do not like how arc10 grommets look like after stringing - they tend to tilt slightly (like the grommet on the left).

Regards,
    Valentinas

16. jojandy

jojandy Regular Member

Student
    Thank you all for replying.

Another question is which part would get damage, the frame or the string?
    I don't care about the string, the frame is more important.
    In fact I can't take it back until a few days later that's why if the frame would break until then, I would loose my racket and that's what I least want.
    I would rather lose little than to lose big.

Thanks for the help.

17. Alom

Alom Regular Member

That all depends on many factors including the tension of the strings etc. I can't say that there is a definite answer to say that it will damage your racket or that it will not damage it. To be on the safe side, don't play with it and take it back to the stringer who can assess it and cut the strings. If you play with it and it damages your racket, its going to be your loss. I would not play with a racket with a grommet sticking out that much (I am sure a lot of people on this forum will agree with me). The string could damage the raw frame (not unheard of).

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If the gromment is not entire out, you can play with it, and get the gromment replaced next time when string. If you are really concerned, or the gromment is no longer entirely cover the hole, then bring it back to the stringer, ask for replacement of the gromment and re-string.

19. CalvinSeak

CalvinSeak Regular Member

Same here! I strung my racket at a reputable shop named AJ in Puchong Malaysia,

He didn't want to restring it for me. Maybe its because the string is too expensive (NBG 98) Anyways I just cut the string and went to another stringer, never again will i step in to that shop

20. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

wana play with it? think again
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79761