Basic grip or Adjusted basic grip for smashing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Crimz, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Hi I know that there are 2 grips that are be used for smashing, the basic grip or the adjusted one. However from badmintonbible the say the do not recommend the adjusted grip. I can smash using both grips but since I still have further training I would like to know which grip would give me a better smash. Or do I just use which ever grip that I end up with in the game to smash? Some help from the really good smashers hahaha? Thx in advance

2. socialpro

socialpro Regular Member

Student
    Just my opinion

Since both grips are correct/proper, why don't you go with the one that makes you comfortable and easy to pull out when you're in a tough or tight situation?

Best to stick with one grip from the beginning or now so that you can continue to improve more and more.

Saying that though, I have always used the basic grip for smashing.

3. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Know the differences!

The higher level u play the less u make use of - one concept fits every time -. Now a smash is not just a smash, but can have further nuances. So go and experiment with these grips and notice the differences and let us know :) then we can talk....

4. Tie juetsue

Tie juetsue Regular Member

student
  5. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    I've gotten used to smashing with a basic grip. However my clears and drops are still better using an adjusted basic grip so I dont think I'll change it. Anyone here smashes with the basic grip and clear and drop with the adjusted grip or vice versa? Its still ok right?

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    This is my current issue, I have heard that using the proper basic grip is better all round for clears, drops, only smashes directly infront and above is where the adjusted basic may be more useful.

Currently I use the adjusted basic grip for all shots but due to this new knowledge from sources such as badminton bible and decent coaches, Ive decided to learn to use basic grip more, but i am finding it hard, pulling lot of shuttles to left!

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80160

#6 gingerphil79, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    I'm getting those problems too so I'm not changing grips for the rest of the strokes as I'm comfortable with them. Sometimes I do use the adjusted grip for smashing too in very fast situations. Still have fully gotten use to the basic grip for smashing.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm pretty sure that's not what I wrote. :D

This adjustment allows you to hit a better smash when you have got well in position behind the shuttle.

The danger lies in exaggerating the grip (too far towards panhandle), or using it for all your shots (clears, drops, smashes directly overhead).

#8 Gollum, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  9. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Ah ic seems like I mis-read it. Good this seems to make life better for me =) Thx for popping by or I would be stuck with that wrong concept hahaha!

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No problem. :)

It's a very tricky subject to explain well; looking over that page, I'm not entirely happy with the result. I'll file this away under "to be improved later". :)

11. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I think the chosen grip for each smash depends on your relative position to the shuttle. If I can get behind the shuttle, then I would use a near pandhandle grip. But if the shuttle is level with me, I will use the basic grip. I'm getting slower so I smash with the basic grip most of the time :).

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's correct.

Careful!

An adjustment slightly towards panhandle is good; a full panhandle is not. Be sure not push your grip too far towards panhandle!

Yes. :)

13. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    - but WHY!!! for that situation, in front of body, why is basic bad and why is sligthtly pan good, and why is full pan bad? Please give a better argument than "its because then the shuttle and racket meets at the correct angle"... This forum deserves more detailed arguments :)

Also do you believe in the same principle for clear, why or why not?

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm not going to attempt a complete biomechanical analysis. That would be a research project, and a heavy one too. ;)

It really is all about the angle of the racket face at impact. I'm sorry if you dislike that reason, but I cannot provide any other. I can, however, attempt to provide more detail.

With a panhandle grip, the angle of the racket face will be wrong; you will slice the shuttle instead of hitting it. We're looking at the point of impact here, where the arm and wrist should have returned to a neutral position (having previously supinated / extended & radially deviated). With a full panhandle grip, the racket will be pointing somewhat out to the right side at this moment. With the basic grip, the racket will be pointing somewhat left. To avoid slice, the racket should be pointing directly forwards (and somewhat downwards, obviously).

This does of course make certain assumptions about the positions of the arm and wrist. It's possible to force the panhandle grip to be directed forwards on impact, but in doing so you screw up the rest of the swing.

Let's think about it from another perspective. We know that most of the power in badminton comes from arm rotation. Hold your racket out in front of you, with the basic grip and your wrist radially deviated, and pronate/supinate your forearm. Imagine what would happen if a shuttle were dropped in to meet the racket at the middle point of this swing: you could hit it with some force.

Now do the same thing with the panhandle grip. With your wrist neutral, you should find that the racket doesn't actually go anywhere: it's rotating, but over no distance (so no real force). Now try it with the wrist radially deviated (same as with the basic grip, before). The racket makes the same arcing movement, but the racket head is perpendicular to the direction of motion. If you dropped a shuttle in here, you could only hit it with the frame -- 100% slice, if you like.

That's the problem with the panhandle grip. The closer you move towards panhandle, the less effective arm rotation is. For this "smash grip", we make a compromise: move slightly towards panhandle so that we can contact the shuttle at the right angle (to avoid slice); but no farther than necessary towards panhandle, so that we maintain the efficacy of arm rotation as much as possible.

Hitting a clear (comfortably) from that position will require the same grip, because the angle is essentially the same. However, it's not really a good position for hitting a high, defensive clear; to get the elevation, the wrist will need to be bent back (extended) for the hit. This means you will have limited use of arm rotation -- you're going to play a "punch" clear, which travels quite flat and gets much of its power from grip tightening ("finger power").

#14 Gollum, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  15. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    I feel that the Adjusted grip doesnt gives as much pronation power as the basic grip. However I feel that the basic grip has a higher chance of slicing the shuttle as well as hitting it sidewards instead of going straight.

My friends told me that I'm pushing the shuttle instead of smashing or bringing it down. Is there any particular reason why I end up pushing the shuttle and how do I prevent this problem?

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, I think you're right about this. Nevertheless, I feel that overall it's better to get behind the shuttle if you can, and it's better to adjust your grip to avoid slicing.

"Pushing"? Are they talking about your technique, or are they talking about the result (e.g. the smash goes too flat)?

17. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Erm its the smashing action that looks like I'm pushing the shuttle down. My smashes are usually not very flat they go around waist lvl and below.

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Okay, so you probably have too "smooth" an action, without enough "snap" to your movements.

First thing to look at would be your use of grip tightening. How are your net kills? Can you kill the shuttle from near the tape, with minimal movement of the arm and wrist ("finger power")?

Second thing to look at would be arm rotation.

19. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    My backhand net kills are pretty good with just the wrist action. my net kills get worse with more swing of the arm. My brother says I'm snapping my wrist too late for my smash and I'm throwing my arm forward quite abit before smashing the shuttle. I thought this would be cause I'm contacting the shuttle way in front of me.

20. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    that was what I was looking for :)

ah you are so boring, lol :) Thanks for the answer that was what I was looking for. (Sorry crimz if I made you more confused).

nice arguments :) In my view you just told me by going into details, that there is other things than solely getting the racket head in the correct position, but properly it is just pre-assumtions...

I mean, even with a thumb grip I can force the rackethead to be in the correct position, but absolutely not easy to hit hard like that. So arm and wrist usage and position become crucial to make it work, like you explained, of course in the end to get both maxium power and the correct position of the rackethead.

Also by going from basic grip towards panhandle, you lose some of the control you have with the basic grip (because of the position of the index finger). On the other hand I find fingerpower to a greater extent easier with panhandle, but yes indeed unpractical to integrated for a smash or clear with a full panhandle grip.