Winning sigh forget it

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chen Dan :D, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    when i'm in a state of winning i always lose as i never know to attack the game to finish off or just keep on playing the same knowing my opponent is trying every trick in the book. This almost gets to the point that i know will make me end up losing a large majority of the time. I play in a style that means out manouvering the opponent and finishing off the game and sometimes become disheartened when the opponent could just pull off a smash and easily win their point or making an easy looking super net tight net shot.

Although i get encouragement that i am a player that is difficult to play against i am not satisfied of being just an average player. I have tried training hard and reading books and articles to become mentally stronger but i seem to gain little success. This is now affecting my game that when i start losing a large number of points i begin to give up and i try harder, this makes me lose even more. The worse thing is knowing whats wrong but cant do nothing about it. I believe that if i carry on like this i will become even worse player that i am now.

This is beginning to take the enjoyment out of my beloved sport, although i'm not quitting i feel like i'm just going to play badminton to hope that this process is going to pass. Any of you guys have any ideas......................
    My main wish is to beat players that i feel i have a chance against.

2. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

I know the frustration. The more you like to win, the more it get difficult. You are fighting against yourself because your opponent is YOU. Win or lose becomes a mind game. Play with calm with hidden fire, one point at a time. Try to enjoy the game by winning each point. Change your strategy if it is not working after 4-5 points.

When you are over excited always start your game in a conservative style i.e., avoid hitting extreme corners or tight net drops or deep smash. This way you will reduce your unforced errors that will built up your confidence.

If you still lose then good chances are that your opponent is a better player.

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    Cambridge, UK (heh..only a sixth form college tho)
    Forget the opponent

And don't get annoyed with yourself. Especially don't show it as that encourages the opponent. I don't get to emotional on court and deal with each shot as it comes. Try to forget about your opponent and play your style. Give it a go........don't show your annoyance anytime u lose a point in a game and you should have an easier game. Unless you're playing me i guess

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I had this problem before where I dwell on a bad shot made earlier and let it somehow affect the rest of my game. if you lose a point, it's only a point lost, try to win the next one. don't just key in on what you are doing wrong, evaluate what your opponent is doing right and try to force them to make mistakes too instead of feeding them the shots they want. everyone goes through slumps like this, you will get through it too, best wishes to you.

5. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    Thanks

I have tried the relaxed approach before, it seems to work for me however i find it difficult to maintain this state of mind all the way to the end of the game. One thing that makes me lose is the thought of getting to 15 points and feeling that my opponent is going to win the game even though i am in front lets say 2 or 3 points. I really run out of ideas when i reach the later stages of a game lets say when me and my opponent are in the 10's i tried powering it, moving the opponent around, play defensive or just hanging in there. Is there anyway that could make my mind to be stronger, i sometimes lose to people that are even inferior in their technique than i am. I think i train harder than some of my opponents and i still lose to them. Thanks for all the feedback and support.

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    It's hard to stay focused and finish out the game. The best way would probably be to play more games and get more experience in those situations. Believe in yourself that you will prevail over your opponent instead of fearing that you might somehow blow the lead and lose the game. do a search on the forum on handling yourself under pressure, see if you can get any help from those comments.

7. tim

tim Regular Member

Don't forget that as you get get closer and closer to winning your opponent will be trying harder and harder to stop you (unless they are totally demoralised and have given up). Nothing focusses the mind like the threat of defeat!

So don't feel bad if you find it hard to finish off a game. It is more difficult than it seems.

For a good example, look at the 2000 Olympics Mixed Doubles semi-final featuring Archer and Goode. A & G won the first game easy, and got to something like 13-1 in the second, but they still lost the match!

If world-class players experience defeats like this, then it can happen to anyone...

8. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    Cambridge, UK (heh..only a sixth form college tho)
    Just stay relaxed

We were in a match yesterday (league match) and we were leading like 10-7 and then they came back to 14-14 and then 16-14. We knew we were better and just kept our cool and manged to win it 17-16.........good thing too otherwise we would have won 8-1 instead of 9-0:)