Places in Hong Kong ??

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Vdz, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Vdz

Vdz Regular Member

Hi all

Hopefully we will go HK for a week in Jan next year, Would any one tell me the price, the place for the accommodation which is close to centre of HK, so that I can book in advance if required. And also the food I love Chinese food, I'd like to know either on the street or restaurants that have yummy meals with reasonable prices, I like to try every thing A-Z even snake that Cheung mentioned.
    Since we will be there for only a week, I want to make the best out of it, so please tell me every thing about HK as much as possible. Especially to Cheung, Rick whom I believe the best to ask.
    Any reply would be appreciated.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    depends on your budget. Are you the person who needs to stay in 5 star hotels? Plenty of them around.:)

Look for hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui area.

OK, there are cheaper hotels that 'look' further away on the map but in reality, HK's infrastructure is so good, almost anywhere in Kowloon/HK island is accessable.

You are lucky. Jan is the time for snake soup. Not available is summer.;)

HK is getting cheaper for food but cheap food is relative to your own country's standards!

3. Vdz

Vdz Regular Member

Hi Cheung
    I knew you would reply, thanks a lot for this. Any way I've been searching on the internet for where to stay, what to do etc..But one thing I really really need to know is that what area is close to badminton shops hehehe I will pack for full my luggage of badmin stuffs. what hotels is in that area, 3 stars will do. Thanks
    Actually I have found some of them in Kowloon area, but I am not so sure if it is easy accessable to shopping. Thanks Cheung again
    To Kwun
    There are only 2 Cabs 20 left, pls leave it to me, just kidding, first come first serve.
    I'm looking forward to HK, can't wait.

4. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    mongkok

ideally most of the places to buy badminton stuff that is cheap is in the mongkok area in kowloon.
    Rose and Emmy Sports are litterly about a 5 min walk from each other. You would find that alot of shops surrounding the area will also sell badminton stuff such as shoes, strings, shuttles and what have you. A good tip is to look around before you buy. You will be surprised how small some of the shops are in hk but what gems you will be able to find. Enjoy it out there, i was there for a month so i did not just look at badminton gear all day. There is alot of stuff to see and do in hk.

5. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    The Metropole

i stayed in this hotel for a while, its nothing special but i found it close to the shops. Also get yourself a map. I brought myself one from a bookshop as its more detailed and not as big (hand book size). The metropole is basically a three star hotel. Its got its own shower, bath toilet, tv and a electronic safe (everything you need i guess). When i went to walk out to the Sports Market it was only a 10 min walk. upto you however where to stay and how luxury it is but i only go to the hotel to sleep nothing much else.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Some other choices are

Grand Tower hotel, Mongkok - walk opposite the street plus acouple of blocks and you are in the centre of the sports shops, hifi equipment, street market, computer accessories, digi/35mm cameras.

Eaton hotel - short walk to Jordan MTR station, and only two stops from Mong Kok. Also a short walk to Luxis!

BP International hotel - also in Jordan, even closer to Luxis (probably 5 mins)

Miramar hotel - slightly towards Tsim Sha Tsui, still accesible to MTR station(3 stops away from Mong Kok). Good chinese restaurant within walking distance - good for Dim Sum and snake shop. I go there on a regular basis

Most of the badminton stores are in Mong Kok area with the exception of Luxis.

Oh I looked up Mr Keen on the map. Haven't actually managed to go inside but if you are in Jordan, you need to take the 970 bus from Jordan (destination: Aberdeen) to the very end of the bus ride and that takes you very close to the shop.

7. Vdz

Vdz Regular Member

Thanks a lot Chen Dan for your good tips and help, I definetely shop around before I buy.
    To Cheung, much appreciated you have been so much wonderful, helpful to me here and there, if I was a girl I'd give a big kiss hehehe. I don't think I'd make it to Mr Keen since there are a lot of places in HK to explore as Chen Dan said, but I will try if I have time for sure.
    Just imagine without you guys without this fantastic web site I would not go any where at all. Thanks a lot all of you.