How to become a dealer?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Nic, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Everyone is welcome to give me their two cents, especially Nick and WWC. :)

I am interested in knowing how to become an official dealer/distributor for a particular brand of badminton gears? Do I need a certain amount of money to become one? What type of requirements that I need?

Thanks already. :)

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Well to be general you need a certain financial backing to make orders and the minimum quantities are usually quite large. Retailers haev to go through a system similar to the idea of retailer networking. A clientele has to be developed and by then slowly and hopefully your company name and authenticity will be accepted. It's not just about selling items it's about developing a relationship with the customer. If your company is legitimate in the customers eyes then you'll be fine but if you don't put an effort into your company, well the customer will just see right through you and your company You may be surprised there are tons of people that actually do get into the business however they only try it for a week or two and they realize how much time and work it actually takes. Some people are just in it for the hardware for their own personal use and it doesn't look well on your company. That's why companies like Yonex have a policy of having a physical competitive store with regular store hours etc. This is just to make sure that they don't get stabbed in the back and get left hanging. Companies like yonex are doing a business and they expect a certain professionalism from companies that work with them. Complicated? That's just the start :) . However if there's a will there is a way.

That is the basic when it comes hardware acquisition.

When it comes to your business things like Business Name, store, website, banking account, credit card machine, debit card machine, Logo's, marketing, advertising, employment, communications ( business telephone services, fax machine, cellphone/pager, internet) and much much more.

Nic if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

Oh this is just my point of view as a retailer. I'm sure WWC will put in his two cents abuot being a distributor :).

Cheers,
    Nick
    Repulsive Sports
    sales@repulsivesports.com

#2 Nick, Nov 26, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2002
  3. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Thanks Nick. :)

when comes to business, it is always not easy. I am thinking to start out from small. Perhaps look for a few friends who are interested in badminton to partner with.

To open an online store might be an easier GO, but not a real store front for the time being. Perhaps you can be my supplier for Karakal and WWC can be my supplier of Winex. ;)

I am still waiting for your web site to come up. Good luck. :)

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Thanks Nic but i think Karakal and Winex has a distributor in the USA. You might want to start off by calling their headquarters or email them and get some contact numbers. Good luck. If you need any questions answered just email me :).

Cheers,
    Nick
    Repulsive Sports
    sales@repulsivesports.com

#4 Nick, Nov 26, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2002
  5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Oh another thing you might want to consider getting a stringing machien :). It's a valuable service especially when your selling your racquets. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK :)

Cheers,
    Nick

6. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Thanks Nick, I will email them. :)

I would love to get myself a stringing machine as a X'mas gift this year!
    But, it costs quite a bit for a good one.

7. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Nick,

Speaking of those, how much is Karakal's electronic one? it looks VERY nice, wonder if mary will send it as an christmas gift?? :)

Matt

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    LOL matt unfortunately Karakal Canada doesn't order the stringing machine due to the high costs. I personally just purchased the Laserfibre 200dx WOOHOO :) but of course i'm stringing commercially :).

Nick

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Nic,
    Nick is right. To be a retailer or distributor, you need to have some finances. As a retailer, you need to prove that you can sell the goods and as a distributor, you ned to prove that you can move the goods.

Most manufacturers already have distributors set up in the various countries but there are others (and you have to do the research). Being a retailer is far easier as all you need to set up and register for a retail business. You then will contact the appropriate manufacturers/distributors for goods. Some distributors will require that you have a valid business or store. One of the problems for a distributor is determining the validility of all the requests that comes in as you don't want to turn away a legitimate retailer. I get requests all the time asking to buy the goods at wholesale prices but when you look at the order, you see only a few qty (2-3) of a particular model with some grips/strings or you see a few models with qty of 1, etc. Most likely these requests are from consumers who got together with their friends in order to get the products at wholesale prices.

For Winex, there are two US distributors; Dave Chiu (West Coast) of Badminton Alley and Supreme Sports Supply (East Coast).

Hope this helps and good luck.

10. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Nick, Does this mean you're studying full-time (at York), training for badminton tournaments, and running a business at the same time? You must be superman :)

11. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Thanks WWC, seems like be a consumer is the easiest. :p

I am still working on my proposal and looking for reliable partners. Will get it started as soon as I have my way figured.

But, thanks guys. :)

12. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    And he is only 20?

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Full-time student but i do a couple internet courses so i have a little more flexibility to work on several things at once :). I'll be 21 soon :p

Sincerely,
    Nick

14. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    interesting that nic brought the topic up, I was considering distribution too. Well, actually I was asked whether or not I would be interested in distributing for Victor. Still considering whether or not I would have the time and energy to do that plus my current workload. :D