User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Prestretching video

    Is this a good way to prestretch your strings?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praasXlb0Ls

  2. #2
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,093
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is exactly how I do it, so I have to give +1.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England/ Hong Kong
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do you know if professional players pre-stretch strings that go on their racket? For example, official Yonex stringers at badminton events - do they pre-stretch the strings before stringing the player's racket?

    Also, is the above the only way to pre-stretch string? Are there other ways such as tensioning the string then releasing it and the tensioning again?

  4. #4
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,915
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    tournament stringers in official events have to string 20, 30 rackets a day. there is no way they can do pre-stretch.

    even professional stringer who works at shops, time is money for them. pre-stretching is not an option.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arf26 View Post
    Do you know if professional players pre-stretch strings that go on their racket? For example, official Yonex stringers at badminton events - do they pre-stretch the strings before stringing the player's racket?

    Also, is the above the only way to pre-stretch string? Are there other ways such as tensioning the string then releasing it and the tensioning again?
    There are other ways to pre-stretch. Electronic machine will usually pre-stretch your string when tensionning. It's also possible to do it with a crank machine by just waiting ~1 minute while the string is tensionned and then retension it, same thing for a drop weight.

    As far as I know, this video is the only well known efficient method to remove the coil before stringing a racket (I'm sure there are other less known methods).

    I use it for every racket I string. If you don't, I think you'd have to string the racket 1 or 2 lbs higher overall to have the equivalent tension after 24-48 hours.

    Also, thanks for the link. I will add it to the sticky.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    whats the pros n cons of pre stretch?

  7. #7
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,915
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a|extan View Post
    whats the pros n cons of pre stretch?
    all strings naturally stretches over time and usually in the first day and first game, will lose around 2 lbs due to stretching.

    pre-stretch gets rid of the slack before stringing and the string maintain tension better.

    the downside is that it is a time consuming process to take away the slack. you need to pull it pretty hard and not on the machine. it need space too.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    all strings naturally stretches over time and usually in the first day and first game, will lose around 2 lbs due to stretching.

    pre-stretch gets rid of the slack before stringing and the string maintain tension better.

    the downside is that it is a time consuming process to take away the slack. you need to pull it pretty hard and not on the machine. it need space too.
    ok
    does it mean that it is always recommended to string slightly higher by around 2 lbs... to anticipate the lost of strenght?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England/ Hong Kong
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a|extan View Post
    ok
    does it mean that it is always recommended to string slightly higher by around 2 lbs... to anticipate the lost of strenght?
    I would guess so if you would like to retain a higher tension (according to the above).

    I think I will try to pre-stretch one time and see if it's better

Similar Threads

  1. prestretching?
    By sohowslife_ in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 0
    : 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
  2. Prestretching The Strings
    By Smashis in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 11
    : 04-12-2008, 03:22 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    : 04-08-2007, 11:53 PM
  4. Badminton footwork video available on google video beta
    By 604badder in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 14
    : 10-25-2005, 08:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •