2 strings vs 1 string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by silentlight, Nov 26, 2002.

1. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I heard that using 2 strings in a racquet, 4 knots is better than using 1 string, 2 knots. I also understand that since the racquet head is more oval than circular, using 2 strings enables the stringer to balance things out as in more tension on main and less on cross. But then recently, this chinese guy, provincial B class player, has all his racquets strung with 1 string, 2 knots and when asked about it, he said that he told the stringer to string them that way because that's how professionals string their racquets. Is this true? Why? I also heard that if your string breaks you should cut off the remaining strings to prevent your racquet head from getting deformed, could this be why anyone might want to use 1 string, 2 knots, so that the string loosens up evenly if it breaks?

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    do a quick search silentnight, you will find a lot of info. I remember posting this question up about a month ago.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Unless u have such "unique" request in string tension, I believe 2 knots and 4 knots going to give u similar results.

However,

1. 2 knots method can save a little bit more string (if u use reel), if u use single pack, no point

2. 4 knots is easier to apply for "weight drop" string machines (cheap ones). also, easier for beginner to learn.

3. 4 knots relatively have more freedom to adjust main and cross string tension separately, since they are 2 different pieces

4. silentlight

student/programmer
    Doesn't that mean that the 4 knots method is better then provided that string efficiency isn't an issue at least in the client's perspective since stringers won't charge more whether he's using the 2 knots or 4 knots method? By the way, I did read up on Jwu's and badrad's posts.

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Personally I think the 4 knots (2 string) method is better just because it is safer to do that with the iso head racquet and it also works well for the oval. You string the main, then you start the cross from the top, rather than at the bottom (1 string method).

2 knots (1 string) is quicker because with a high end machine you can just free-string first and then tighten. This will safe you a lot of time, but it won't really affect you that much if you are using the cheaper drop-weight stringing machine.

6. silentlight

student/programmer
    So there shouldn't be any reason why professionals might prefer the 2-knot method then?

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I belive "1string: 2 knot" method takes huge advantage on "time saving" - pull tension all together. Of course, u need to $$$ string machine to achieve that.

For pro, who need to string quite often, they can't settle down on use a cheap machine for hrs to do one racket. If they use 2 knots method, team up with high end string machine (of course, i am sure they have), they can save a lot of time and energy to fix their "weapon".

Just think, if a pro trained himself to death for 8 hrs / day, and he has to bent down on a $100- string machine, and spend average of 1 hrs or so for just 1 of his racket... What kinda nightmare that will be...

8. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Which pros (especially sponsored ones) string their own racquets?

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, maybe either pro himself or herself (if they like to), or someone help the entire team of elites (in this case, 1 string + good machine = save a lot of time) need to string the rackets...

No matter who actually do it, just say, 1 string method + good machine = huge advantage in mess production.

10. silentlight

student/programmer
    I guess what I'm getting to is that for a guy who isn't a professional and who doesn't get his racquets restrung that often and doesn't even restring his racquets himself, there's really no reason to tell his stringer to string his racquets using the 2-knots method other than to be like a pro. His racquets are iso-head types by the way.

11. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Well I've sampled the sweet results of a 6-point support with
    computerized tensioning! :)

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    one string

measuring, cutting, organizing takes time and if you plan to do quantity, every minute counts. economy with 1 piece will save your around 1 - 2 feet of string. From a frugal reel of 660, you could gain one extra racquet out of it. typically a 2 string you can get away with 30 feet per racquet, gaining you 2 extra racquets per reel (22 racquets). If you can cut down 1.5 feet, using 28.5 feet, you could squeeze 23 racquets from a spool.