Taming the beast: an Arcsabre Z story...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Ayabrea, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Ayabrea

Ayabrea Regular Member

A little bit about me, I have been playing badminton for about 14 months, averaging roughly 5 times a week. I started out with a Wilson Head Light K factor racquet. My smashes weren't strong, so I bought the AZ specifically to learn to smash properly because it was an unforgiving racquet. I figure that it would eventually force me to learn a proper smashing technique. Around the same time, I also purchased the Nanospeed 9900 and the Armortec 900 P/T. The store owner found it amusing that I was going to use so many different racquets because usually players stick to only one racquet and buy multiple copies of the same one.
    Anyways, I ran into the same frustrating experience as all of the other AZ owners and eventually gave up on it after 3 weeks because I couldn't figure out how to get better with it. I started using the AP and found it to be much easy to smash with, almost to the point where the racquet would guide the racquet correct. I think it must be because the racquet was aerodynamically designed that way. The smashes were also stronger and more consistent. I also used the NS too because, like my original racquet, it was head light. I ended up switching back and forth between the AP and the NS in between games and didn't even use the AZ until about a month later.
    The month of constantly switching back and forth between the AP and the NS strangely did the trick as I was able to smash powerfully and consistently with the AZ the instant I started using it. I had never guessed that constantly using different racquets would be beneficial like this. Anyone have a similar experience?

Ayabrea

2. fm1fm2

fm1fm2 Regular Member

student
    the only reason i can think of is the improvement in your skill.
    Having just played badminton for 14months, you still have large room for improvement. In a month playing 4-5 times a week, you'll definitely improve seeing you are between beginner to intermediate level (this is my assumption, so dont flame me if it is not the case =D).
    It is a case of improvement in skill, nothing to do with switching racquet IMO.

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Ppl who have played nicely with mp100 will find arc z easier to adapt.

4. Ayabrea

Ayabrea Regular Member

Actually, I forgot to mention, my smashes with the AP tend to net about 1 to 2 times out of 5. Last time I was using the AP, roughly the same thing, though I did see improvement using the AZ to smash. I'm starting to feel the AZ to be the more comfortable racquet and the AP being less comfortable despite using all 3 racquets constantly.

Anyways, one thing that I would like to mention is that the AP is very nice to use to do the backhand smash due to the guiding feeling that it has. It is much harder to do it with the AZ, probably because I learned to do it on a head light racquet and the AZ not being head light.

Ayabrea

5. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Probably psycological IMHO. You probably stopped thinking so hard and just played.

Worked for me.

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I would agree with Easy_Tiger. For me, it took a few games to adjust to Arc Z. And to do it I just had to forget about the stuff that BCers talked about and just play it as i normally would. And it worked, i can feel both the strength and weakness of the racket.