How do you know which rank?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gamepurpose, Jan 14, 2010.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    How do you know which rank are you in before you sign up for the tournament?
    What consider as A, B, C, or D rank.

Talking about brand new, never played a tournament before, no record.

And describe the ability for each rank.
    Ability mean like let's say D level can't even do back hand clear, or strong smash or watever.

Because i've seen alot of people are goooddddd and sign up for D
    Howeverrrr, some are shietty players sign up for C

I think i'm D that's why i've seen this situation before.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    My advice would be that because its your first time and not sure what rank you are, enter as the lowest rank (in your case D grade) if you are too good, you will win and the organizers will move you up. If they have seen you play before and if you are quite good, when you enter, they might just put you into a higher rank if they think you are capable.

3. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

It depends on what time of the year, where the tournament is held etc. but generally for seniorplayers (over 19 here in DK):

D: Their don't clear from back to back, the footwork is usually sloppy, and backhand is pretty much always a drop. They haven't got a huge amount of tactical understanding and thus they play a lot of routinestrokes - i.e. always doing a cut from the forehand or something like that.

C: They are beginning to clear from back to back, but a lot can't do it continually. Footwork is okay, backhand still sucks. They are beginning to think about where to return the shuttle. Still very much mistakes that decides the outcome.

B: Pretty much like C, just a bit faster and a bit more tactical, somewhat unforced errors still play a pretty big factor. They can clear from back to back repeatedly and some can even make a backhand clear. Players begin to win the matches due to themselves, rather than the opponents mistakes.

A: Prety much like B, just faster, more patient (meaning they also got more stamina), they are playing closer to the lines, can perform more or less all strokes without making mistakes. Tactic, stamina, patience and thus execution plays the major role here. Players win the majority of rallies due to themselves, rather than the opponents mistakes.

M/E: A lot better at all aspects of badminton than player in grade A, they make practically no mistakes. Pretty much the same people you see when you open the television to watch a match between two clubs.

In the beginning of the season this is probably an underestimate of some D+C+B players but in the middle it should fit somewhat accurately, at least from my own experience here in DK :p It should be stressed though, there is a pretty big leap from A to M/E, whereas the rest isn't that big. The difference mostly lies in the speed and accuracy.

If it is your first tournament ever, go for D - if you get to the semifinals or finals, try C next time etc.

4. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    according to Trmun, I will say most people i've seen in tournament that sign up in group D that is suppose to be in group B.
    Well anyway, where is DK?
    and 2nd of all, I do think that according to Trmun rank's ability is a little off what I think, or maybe alot different than what I think

i'll say this :
    D: clear 3/4 of full court, once in awhile full.
    back hand 3/4 and less, weak smash, weak defense, okay footwork, alittle of strategy.
    C: clear full court, same with back hand, decent smash, decent smash defense, okay footwork, better strategy from D (knows how to place bird better)
    B: everything better than C, a really quick drive shot, back hand smash, good placement, bird goes faster (better stroke).
    A: people who play like youtube. =)
    Well that's who I rank it, only IF there's 4 categories only.
    I'm like 80 percent sure that i'm wrong but that's how I would think
    and I do rank myself consider as a HIGH D or maybe, just maybe LOW C.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

There are many places that have a "champion" or other level. These are the guys that compete nationally.

I agree with most of the above though.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

just my 1.75 cents..

Observing & comparing between how a C or B level player plays vs. how a D or lower level player plays is the most easiest and obvious way to tell.
    However, once you get to the high C or B or A level, that's when the gray/vague area comes in. Usually it's a matter of consistency/inconsistencies which determines where they stand. And, if need be, one might refer to an approved or certified type of ranking system to determine.

A couple of related threads to browse:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32006
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10681

#6 ctjcad, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  7. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Our rankings differ because we got the M/E-rank as well here in DK, so everyone get's moved around a bit. And DK=Denmark, just on top of Germany, part of Scandinavia, and no we haven't got any polar bears, except for those on Greenland; Denmark the only country which actually knows how to play badminton here in Europe - nah I'm just kidding :p)

8. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    I have a different take on this. Tournaments that i have been to D players are great players overall and many sign up for C as well. I believe that You dont grade by D C B and A unless you're talking about tournament grades. Tournament play is alot different then lets say high school play or club play imo.

9. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

I dare say we are all talking about tournaments...

10. rozerdom

rozerdom New Member

Oh...Great post of clarification. I am searching for this type of information quite for a long time. Thanks for posting..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    toy electric cars
    kids electric cars

#10 rozerdom, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  11. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    That sound about right ... I think I am on C (but will enter both D+C just for the fun of it)...just lacking my backhand smash from the back of court. You missed one thing in the grade system ...The speed of the players both feet /arm