2-point mount adapters

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by helzbane, Jan 14, 2010.

1. helzbane

helzbane Regular Member

2-point mount adapters / frame retainers

I started learning to string my rackets with an ATS Traveler recently and finished 2 different rackets. I strung both at 23lbs but the final result was always looser than my Ti10 strung at 21lbs. I noticed that the adapter/frame retainer for the 2 mounting points actually slightly lift the 6 center mains.

I'm assuming that this adapter/frame retainer is used by other similar 2-point machines and i'm just wondering if this is a common thing. If so, do you compensate by pulling extra tension on these mains or do you modify the adapter to be flat instead of tapered?

#1 helzbane, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Hang on.....what models were the 2 racquets @ 23lbs? 1 piece or 2 piece? Same machine for the Ti10? same string for all three racquets?

#2 adidascanada, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. helzbane

helzbane Regular Member

yup.... BG65, strung with 2 piece method... 2 HQ flying clamps and a starting clamp as well...

I'm not sure what the Ti10 was strung on b/c it was done at a shop for me when i first bought it....

4. adidascanada

It MAY have to do with a difference in "pulling" tension between your drop weight and the shop's machine (maybe the tension was set too high at the shop). It could also be explained by the techiques you vs the other other stringer is utilizing.

Is the 21lb racquet also a Ti10?

In any event, typically drop weight tension is consistent (if strung in the same manner) so once you find/"adjust" the tension on your machine to what you would expect from the performance of the racquet/strings you should be ok.

5. helzbane

helzbane Regular Member

One was an NS8k (first racket, so done at lower tension to practice) and the other was an MP21. All three rackets are using the same strings.

Thanks for the response. =) I am just worried about breaking a racket b/c of too much tension doing the first set of mains.

When I did the NS8k, the results felt closer to 16lbs than 23lbs. The MP21 came a little closer b/c i was trying to compensate, but it still came to only about 18-19lb. I'm checking mostly by the tone of the strings and the feel though.

6. adidascanada

In lots of cases even if all things are equal, the string tension will "feel"/be different between different racquet models because of stringing patterns, methods, shared/no shared grommets, etc.

If you wnat to be safe when stringing with a drop weight machine at hgher tensions be sure to "lower" the weight slowly to avoid rapid frame deflection/flexure.

Tone is one of the best unbiased indicators of how much tension the strings are under.

7. helzbane

helzbane Regular Member

Thanks! I'll keep all this in mind when i give it another shot tonight. I'm still curious about the frame retainers for the ATS Traveler though. Does anyone else notice something like this for their string machine?

8. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    I understand what you are talking about. The retainer is thicker at one side than another, You are using thinner side to hold the racket , but the thicker side is higher than the string bed, so it left the string. You lost tension because of that.
    That machine is design for tennis not badminton. I guess the designer never test a badminton racket on it.
    The best way is to buy new retainer from
    http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productdetail.php?catnum=A717.
    It is probably the best retainer for two points machine.

9. helzbane

helzbane Regular Member

oh thanks! that retainer will help for sure =)

10. aloy66

aloy66 Regular Member

11. helzbane

helzbane Regular Member

The retainers just arrived and i'll be trying them out soon... the question now is that I only bought 2.... thinking i needed only one per post.... however, i noticed, in the Klipper stringing instructions sticky, silentheart actually uses 2 per post... is that how it's supposed to be used? :confused:

if so, i have to buy another 2 more and wait for it in the mail :crying:

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi,
    I hope I can answer your question. Based on your earlier posts, I assume you are not going to string too high of tension (ie >25lb). If that is the case, just use both Klippermate holding plates on the head end post. The throat post do not need as much support. Just make sure the racquet is level after you mount it.
    Good luck

13. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    You could use one each under the racket. use original hold down plate on top. I have four. But I have tried use one per post, it worked.

14. helzbane

helzbane Regular Member

Just a finale update,

I managed to string 3 racquets with the new retainers and it's helped tremendously! Thanks for all your help :)