Fitness knowledge needed

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nobrained loser, Jan 18, 2010.

1. nobrained loser

nobrained loser Regular Member

engineer/welder
    After some thought,i think i should be concentrating on my legs,,no point in being able to play every shot possible,,if i cant get there in the first place,,,,,so my inane question is,,,,,to strengthen my leg muscles and improve my movement,,,,,what would be best brisk walking or cycling ,,,,,sorry if im boring the intellectuals,,or serious players here,,i play in league at a low level,,and feel thats where i should improve first,,,many thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this :confused:

2. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Running would probably be best since it mimics badminton the most. Spinning is bloody awesome though and if you do a program that contains both light and heavy treading, then it is probably one of the best things to do besides playing badminton :p

With that being said, it is very likely that what you actually want to improve is your footwork, and not the muscles as they are probably quite fine. Until your footwork has become second nature to you, bigger muscles won't really increase your speed around the court a whole lot; so focus on training this.

3. nobrained loser

engineer/welder
    thx trmun,,,,at the risk of racking your brain again,,,could you possibly explain what sort of pragram i should be doing,,how often and for how long,,,sorry to be an annoyance

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

For footwork training, it also depends on whether you have someone to practice with or not.

alone:
    -shuttle runs - basically picking up shuttles at each corner of the court and doing it within a certain amount of time.
    -footwork - can always just do individual corners or do a combination of 2 corners.

partner:
    -feeding drills
    -shadow footwork - basically shadow the person on the other side
    -corner footwork (no idea what this is called) - have someone stand at the net and point to a corner. Will help increase reaction time.

I haven't practiced in about 2 1/2 years, so I don't remember too much.

#4 Joseph, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  5. nobrained loser

engineer/welder
    for footwork training i woul;d be training myself

6. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Do you know how to perform footwork already? Because if not, you might want to get a better player/coach to show you how it is done and then mimic them.

If you know what to do, but feel it is going to slow, run intervals of 1 min running, 15 secs rest) to the corners of the court. Start out slowly, concentrating on making it correct, then speed will come all by itself after a couple of times.

7. nobrained loser

engineer/welder
    i watch videos of players durin games on utube,,,tho i have never seen a coach,, all i know is i aint doin it right,,,,im 37,,and never gonna be at a high level,,i just want to be as good as i can,,,,this site is a wealth of knowledge and i really appreciate the advice i have been given

8. druss

druss Regular Member

Footwork training is great as it does teach you how to move around the court to make it second nature with quick response. Outside of that I'd suggest increasing your indurance by cycling or doing stairs, the combination of both together should increase your stamina and reaction speed.

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Also, when you're doing footwork try not to be a robot who just goes through the motion. Think of the shot you're executing at that particular moment.

10. nobrained loser

engineer/welder
    when you talk about stairs Druss,,,are you talking abiut me runnin up stairs in my house,,,,and if your not,,,,,,dont i look thick,,lol

11. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I think Druss meant stairs in a stadium or bleachers.