User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Also, Badzine had an interview with Taufik Hidayat, asking him about his Badminton school;

Badzine: What’s your expectation of TH arena?
    Taufik: I hope to boost the players' regeneration by creating more talented players. Of course we won't be able to see the result in a short time. This will take some time - approximately five or ten years - to witness the emergence of new stars.

Source: http://www.badzine.info/index.php/pl...w-academy.html
    yes that was a very promising statement and i am sure taufik knows what he is doing. in 5 to 10 years time we will see some new talents from him

wish him all the success

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Perhaps Taufik is thinking of training players from younger ages (say from 8 to 12)

Quote Originally Posted by pBmMalaysia View Post
    yes that was a very promising statement and i am sure taufik knows what he is doing. in 5 to 10 years time we will see some new talents from him

wish him all the success
    Perhaps Taufik is thinking of training players from younger ages (say, from 8 to 12).
    In 5 to 10 years' time, these players will be our future champions.

IMHO, it is a good idea.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm a huge fan of Indonesian badminton. Many reasons, and I wont get into them here and now. My post here is simply to share my recent thoughts and concerns.

1. Most people agree that the TH Arena is a good thing but then again, most have concerns about its viability. Some say that TH is a good money manager and businessman. I think he has had no time really to devote to look after his businesses. Its possible his family and other confidantes do this for him. So basically, he has to trust that a close circle of people are with him in this venture.

2. It doesn't matter how wealthy he or his family is. This sort of venture can very quickly make you bankrupt if you dont know exactly what you are doing. No one wants to see that hapen to TH.

3. He needs to pull in professionals from various disciplines to make this a viable long-term project. Finance; Management; Maintenance; Public Relations, Physical trainers, diet advisors, physiotherapists, coaches, guest lecturers, motivational leaders etc to name a few. Professionals will want money.

4. He needs to establish a network of talent-scouts all over the country. These people have to be provided very clear briefs on what to look for, and where. These are the people who will "feed the funnel" with the prospects, who will then be filtered through a process of elimination. Without this system, the Arena will be a non-starter insofar as his vision is concerned.

5. He will need to esablish a very comprehensive gym for strength training, with full-time accredited trainers who work in conjunction with the coaches and dietary professionals.

6. He will preferably need to establish a separate place for high-altitude training for the high-performance students. In the long run this will pay dividends in terms of performance. The benefits of this kind of approach are tremendous. Maybe the mountainous areas of Java can be used for this purpose. It also lends variance and freshness to the program.

7. He must get big corporate-style businesses interested. Not family-run businesses, preferably. Partonage and sponsorship is more than just about the money. The partnerships have many advantageous side-effects.

8. Finally, right here on BC. What about the influential Indonesian expats who are badminton fanatics? Do they want to do something for this project? Can they contact TH and offer their inputs? It could be in many forms: cash; technical knowledge; management skills; professional advise; endowments; scholarships; etc.

What has prompted this post? I could be dead wrong but I have this sinking feeling that Indonesian badminton at the highest levels, has no real depth left at all. Alas, there is no second line with the potential and real capability to step up and become world-beaters in the next 2 years. The associations seem to churning out a lot of mediocre players, but none with star potential. If it continues to go this way, it would be like a disaster waiting to happen. I hope and pray I am wrong.

OK, go ahead now. Slam me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't worry, cobalt, taufik only needs to be around the arena

it will work just like magic, believe me

of course the financial side he needs to be careful.

with his vast experiences, skills and knowledge of badminton

if he can pass them down,

in no time we would be able to see many mini-taufik!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question The short documentary on YouTube (Post #82) has been removed. WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    Taufik hidayat badminton centre!... what a nice short documentary on youtube

Just discovered that the short documentary on YouTube posted by george@chongwei (Post #82) has been removed.

Why?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile The documentary has returned

Just discovered that the short documentary on YouTube posted by george@chongwei (Post #82) has been removed.

Why?
    And now 7 minutes later, the documentary has returned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now 7 minutes later, the documentary has returned.
    Thats because you are holding up the proof of conspiracy againts TH Arena

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Taufik Hidayat's Badminton School

Not much news have been received from Taufik Hidayat's Badminton School.

Has any Indonesian BCer attended the coaching there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much news have been received from Taufik Hidayat's Badminton School.

Has any Indonesian BCer attended the coaching there?
    https://twitter.com/#!/th_arena/medi...com%2FlBbgxzUa

latest pics of TH Arena

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bhinneka View Post
    Thanks for the latest pics, Bhinneka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Alan and Susi can do it, am sure he can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bhinneka View Post
    great pics!

It seems there will be a lot of advertising stuff.
    But the building is not yet finished, as I can see.

Is it already know when the arena will be opened?
    And will it available for toerisme?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI,

TH Arena will be officially open around Indonesia Open Premier...LCW, Gade, Boonsak so far agreed to attend and play some exhibitions...still waiting for LD to confirm....

Yonex is sponsoring the Arena also....Adrianus ( initially playing for Singapore) has been attached to taufik's camp....Taufik and the gang indeed to look for new talents..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    FYI,

TH Arena will be officially open around Indonesia Open Premier...LCW, Gade, Boonsak so far agreed to attend and play some exhibitions...still waiting for LD to confirm....

Yonex is sponsoring the Arena also....Adrianus ( initially playing for Singapore) has been attached to taufik's camp....Taufik and the gang indeed to look for new talents..
    Glad to hear it... TH Arena is quite a distance from Central Jakarta..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Licin View Post
    Glad to hear it... TH Arena is quite a distance from Central Jakarta..
    It's only a five-minute drive from the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) training camp in Cipayung.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just came upon this article... it was published almost a year ago, but it still makes for interesting reading!

Remember the Name

Issue 86 November 2011
    http://www.emel.com/article?id=91&a_id=2518

Everyone knows a sports star’s name when they are at their peak. Ali Khimji speaks to Taufik Hidayat about how to make a mark when you are playing, and how to leave an impression when you retire.

Some excerpts:

“I would be at the soccer fields straight after school, come rain or shine, and didn’t go back home until we heard the call for maghrib prayers from the local mosque.” Whilst his parents were keen for him to succeed in whatever he chose to do, it was when he was eight years old that his father sat him down and asked whether he was serious about sports.

...Makeshift courts were set up around towns and villages, and it was here that Taufik first learned the skills of his trade. “I first played with my local village team, and we competed against neighbouring villages. As time went by, my passion for the sport grew.”

Taufik then joined a badminton club which was a two and a half hours drive away from his home. At times, his father would stop halfway and make Taufik walk or run the rest of the way. He was angry at first, but appreciates the effect of his father’s disciplinarian attitude: “it moulded me into the person who I am today, who never gives up and always aims for the best.”

...Spectators of the sport could see his talent, but something prevented him from really performing at the elite tournaments. But this was all set to change at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games.

...However, Taufik has had skirmishes with controversy during his career. He continuously threatened to leave the national team, initially because his mentor Mulyo Handoyo was excluded from the coaching list. There was another incident when he threw a plastic bottle at a member of the crowd, after unsavoury comments were shouted from the audience; “naturally, the things I heard angered me, but I admit that I went overboard with my response.” Taufik also walked off the court once in a match against Lin Dan, the then number one seed, after a number of decisions were made against him; “if I don’t feel something is right, I will pursue it to the end of the earth in order to correct it.”

Nevertheless, he has made a name for himself as an outstanding player on the court. Syed Mohammad Arif, the former Indonesian national coach, once said of Taufik: “He can play any stroke. He weaves the racquet like a wand. He can pick any shot from any angle and make it look easy.” Former All England champion Pullela Gopi Chand describes him as “a trapeze artist on court.”

...Representing Indonesia, to him, is a “positive burden”, but one that he is “entirely grateful to have taken on.”
    “The fact that only our athletes and presidents can have the privilege of their flag flying and anthem playing in foreign countries, has helped me recognise the immense faith that the country has given to us athletes—I am forever humbled by it.”

For now, Taufik’s mind is preoccupied with setting up the Taufik Hidayat Arena; a multi-faceted sports centre that will encourage Indonesian children to take up badminton, and provide them with state-of-the-art facilities, which they can use for free. “Until a few years ago, Indonesians would drop everything to watch the matches. But now, it pains me to not see that same enthusiasm amongst the kids.”

“Badminton has made me the Taufik Hidayat I am today; it is the reason I am blessed with fame and fortune. It has been my dream to open an academy, in adherence with my own sporting philosophy, where badminton enthusiasts can gather and form a community.”

With the Arena, Taufik Hidayat stands to leave a legacy that will hopefully rejuvenate interest in badminton around Indonesia. Too often we see retired sports stars disappearing into the ether; occasionally popping up in newspaper scandals. Here, Taufik has the opportunity to be remembered for the very thing that made him memorable in the first place. And as badminton has always been controlled and managed by the government, this is truly revolutionary and innovative in its approach; something that Taufik has always exhibited in his badminton. For now, sports personalities the world over should take heed; this is how to make a name for yourself in the game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Hope that Taufik can generate more fans and players for Badminton with his Arena

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    I just came upon this article... it was published almost a year ago, but it still makes for interesting reading!

Remember the Name

Issue 86 November 2011
    http://www.emel.com/article?id=91&a_id=2518

Everyone knows a sports star’s name when they are at their peak. Ali Khimji speaks to Taufik Hidayat about how to make a mark when you are playing, and how to leave an impression when you retire.

Some excerpts:

“I would be at the soccer fields straight after school, come rain or shine, and didn’t go back home until we heard the call for maghrib prayers from the local mosque.” Whilst his parents were keen for him to succeed in whatever he chose to do, it was when he was eight years old that his father sat him down and asked whether he was serious about sports.

...Makeshift courts were set up around towns and villages, and it was here that Taufik first learned the skills of his trade. “I first played with my local village team, and we competed against neighbouring villages. As time went by, my passion for the sport grew.”

Taufik then joined a badminton club which was a two and a half hours drive away from his home. At times, his father would stop halfway and make Taufik walk or run the rest of the way. He was angry at first, but appreciates the effect of his father’s disciplinarian attitude: “it moulded me into the person who I am today, who never gives up and always aims for the best.”

...Spectators of the sport could see his talent, but something prevented him from really performing at the elite tournaments. But this was all set to change at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games.

...However, Taufik has had skirmishes with controversy during his career. He continuously threatened to leave the national team, initially because his mentor Mulyo Handoyo was excluded from the coaching list. There was another incident when he threw a plastic bottle at a member of the crowd, after unsavoury comments were shouted from the audience; “naturally, the things I heard angered me, but I admit that I went overboard with my response.” Taufik also walked off the court once in a match against Lin Dan, the then number one seed, after a number of decisions were made against him; “if I don’t feel something is right, I will pursue it to the end of the earth in order to correct it.”

Nevertheless, he has made a name for himself as an outstanding player on the court. Syed Mohammad Arif, the former Indonesian national coach, once said of Taufik: “He can play any stroke. He weaves the racquet like a wand. He can pick any shot from any angle and make it look easy.” Former All England champion Pullela Gopi Chand describes him as “a trapeze artist on court.”

...Representing Indonesia, to him, is a “positive burden”, but one that he is “entirely grateful to have taken on.”
    “The fact that only our athletes and presidents can have the privilege of their flag flying and anthem playing in foreign countries, has helped me recognise the immense faith that the country has given to us athletes—I am forever humbled by it.”

For now, Taufik’s mind is preoccupied with setting up the Taufik Hidayat Arena; a multi-faceted sports centre that will encourage Indonesian children to take up badminton, and provide them with state-of-the-art facilities, which they can use for free. “Until a few years ago, Indonesians would drop everything to watch the matches. But now, it pains me to not see that same enthusiasm amongst the kids.”

“Badminton has made me the Taufik Hidayat I am today; it is the reason I am blessed with fame and fortune. It has been my dream to open an academy, in adherence with my own sporting philosophy, where badminton enthusiasts can gather and form a community.”

With the Arena, Taufik Hidayat stands to leave a legacy that will hopefully rejuvenate interest in badminton around Indonesia. Too often we see retired sports stars disappearing into the ether; occasionally popping up in newspaper scandals. Here, Taufik has the opportunity to be remembered for the very thing that made him memorable in the first place. And as badminton has always been controlled and managed by the government, this is truly revolutionary and innovative in its approach; something that Taufik has always exhibited in his badminton. For now, sports personalities the world over should take heed; this is how to make a name for yourself in the game.
    That's a good article. :P)

Just hope that Taufik can generate more fans and players for Badminton with his Arena.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast