Doablility of this drill?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JChen99, Nov 30, 2002.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I was thinking, have 2 "games" go on at the same time on the court. One at the front of the court and one at the rear.

The one that is played close to the net will only consist of the area before the service line(including the sides that are used uring doubles), where the players will play singles. Service will be a normal doubles serve that will just go slightly over the service line(everyting after the serve will be net shots)
    Anything that is smashable(ie too high a shot) CAN be smashed( however, I think this is kinda dangerous since both players will be very close to the net. I kinda need help determining what to do here with this part... again... if this drill is doable)

Hopefully this will better both player's net shots

The other will be played at the end allys of the court(this time not including the two boxes at the side used in doubles). There will be masking tape put down (somewhere close to the back most 1/4 of the court) which will mark an area where this game will be played. This way, the players will(mostly) only be able to use clears. The service will be just be before the taped line, and will be a normal long serve for singles

Hopefully this will better the clears for both players, the serve for singles, and ability to determin the bird being out or in

Feedback would be GREEATLY appreciated! Thanks!

ps. IF this drill is NEW(most likely not) and any coaches out there that would want to test this drill out, go RIGHT ahead! but make sure u give feedback on how this is ran! THX! :p

2. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I'm familiar with both drills, but I've never heard of doing both at the same time on the same court. I guess you want to make the most efficient use of court time/space?

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    damn... the drills alreadi have been exercised :( i thought I'd jus came out with something new :p

well... yah... it's jus making use of court space...

How's the results that come outta this drill? great or mediocre? would you kno Californian?

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Yeah, I think we did this at the badminton camp. I hate net-play though. Always to much strengh. :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    so how exactly does the net play work? the area for the "game" would be the line in front of the service line? and how(where from) would you serve?

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    From the base line. Then we try net play.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    so wut ur saying is: serve from bas line, then ruh to the net to play net shots?

8. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Both drills are played as games, with scoring optional, and with one player on each side of the net.

The net drill is basically a doubles drill. In the net drill, one player serves just as he/she would in doubles. The serve must meet all the rules of a normal doubles serve except that it HAS to be a low serve--no drive or flick serves. All shots after that, including the return, must stay within the boundry of the doubles side lines and the short service line. The exception can be if the player can get the bird above net level and hit it down or push it. Besides being good practice for net play, it forces the server to concentrate on making a good, low serve, and the receiver to practice the net-drop return.

The baseline drill is a singles drill. The server must serve deep so that it would land in the back alley of the receiver's singles box. All shots after that must be clears that would land somewhere in the back alley bounded by the singles sidelines, the deep doubles serve line and the back line of the court.

Sorry to disappoint you, but these drills go at least as far back as the book Badminton by Margaret Varner Bloss, 2nd ed., published 1971.

Your idea of doing both drills at the same time on the same court may be unique, though.:)

9. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    haha... yah... well cuz the space in my highschool has only 6 courts(i dont kno how many they will have after the new gym is finished) so I have to make maximum usage of the courts.

Also, I was thinking maybe with the movements of both games going on at the same time, the players will have to concentrate more on their game and not distracted by the other one. Thus increasing their ability to concentrate (dunno if this actually works tho :rolleyes: )