Need review on gatorade - please

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mikael, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Hi,
    I search the forum and found that Gatorade (drink) is mentioned here and there, as products used either before, during and/or after training.

I suppose that the players drinking it, to some extent is satisfied with it, but how many in here have even tried it and are there some drawbacks of the product? Do u migth as well drink water and what r the alternatives?

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Gatorade, and other sports drinks, have electrolytes (salts) and carbohydrates that your body sweats out along with water. I don't drink only gatorade and water.

A bit of trivia is that gatorade was developed by the university of florida researchers for their college football team the florida gators. There is sound scientific reasoning behind the addition of the electrolytes and carbohydrates and you'll even find that most marathon athletes at the international competitive level create their own unique blends but it still all started with gatorade in the mid 60's.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Dear Mikael,

Since you're in Europe and Gatorade is not widely available, it's similar to Powerade, if you've drank it. And since you're in Danmark, Europe has its own version called Lucozade Sport/Energy. So, if you've guzzled down Lucozade Sport before, then that's similar to how Gatorade tastes like. Only difference is the content in Lucozade has a bit more glucose and caffeine.

Drawbacks? Nothing significant other than an occasional run to the restroom.
    Personally, if i drink a sport drink, I usually guzzle down a G2 or Powerade Zero (no sugar, low calorie).

#3 ctjcad, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    These are all classified as isotonic drinks. And it really depends which country you are from. In Malaysia, Singapore, we can get the following (with 100 Plus as the Number 1 favourite):
    Gatorade
    100 Plus
    Wilson
    Isomax
    etc etc etc
    But in China i get none of the above :eek::p

Personally i tried all the above and i prefer Gatorade (especially the blu bottle one), due to the following:
    - It tastes less sweet (compared to Wilson and 100 Plus)
    - It is the least 'gassy' (VERY Important if you want to drink it during a badminton game. Too gassy will cause you to feel very uncomfortable.
    - It re-hydrates you quickly and quench your thirst. Very effective to me.

Side effects? During a game don't drink the whole bottle/can at one go or you will risk going to wash room very often . :D

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Gatorade is actually nice enough to drink at the table or after a long walk during a hot day. As tckang mentioned above it's a lot less sweeter than most soft drinks out there and it doesn't bloat thanks to the lack of gas.

Still, the caveat is in the taste - some of my favourites: Orange and Tiger Woods' - taste like syrup water diluted in too much water. Some might not like it, others might even feel shortchanged, but it works just as well as the rest such as 100Plus. I'd prefer it over my other favourite, the Excel Isotonic.

6. GrayDark

GrayDark Regular Member

Medical Transciptor
    How about Pocari Sweat diluted w 1/4 water?

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Apologies Gray mate - never drank Pocari although it's available here.

8. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Thanks for info to all of you.

I had a look in the common supermarked today, and I had a look at Powerade, I can't really see the point with that procduct. I rather drink water and eat a banana, and further more our Danish product "Faxe kondi" do better, or actually I rather drink cacao or milk, then u get vitamins too :) I mean the calories for powerade is real low, so no point for me.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^About milk..^^

..i read somewhere if you drink the processed ones, unfortunately that won't give you the supposedly needed calciumvitamins. If you want the 100% calcium/vitamins, you have to drink the milk straight after the milk has been squeezed out of the cow..wanna try??..:p
    Imagine also, out of all the mammals, humans are the only ones who still drink milk even into adulthood.:confused:

For the sports drinks, supposedly they're supposed to give back electrolytes, retain water (through sodium) etc.

#9 ctjcad, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010