User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Toronto stores stringing with grommet replacement and questions : D

I have a racquet which i strung at a place in toronto and each gromment replacement costed $0.50, I had around 30 something replace when i went to string!

Is this a normal price for gromment replacement and how do you protect the groment from getting broken.

Can anyone find a awesome stringer?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

that's excessive price.

usually stringer replace grommet for free when only a couple is needed. even if a large amount needed, that is still an outrageous price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed, you can buy a bag of hundreds of grommets for a few bucks and the labor is negligible. i'll do up to 10 for free then charge $1 flat for more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They claim to replace with Yonex grommets.... This still doesn't make a difference, anyone able to recommend me a great place in Toronto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where was this?
    maxsports, though i haven't had any of my racquets strung in over a year, whenever i go they used to replace 3-5 for free or rotate them 90 degrees so they would be still usable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am agreeing with the excessive pricing and all of that but at least it's done and the old grommets won't bite into your new strings and possibly cut them. : )
    There is also something else to consider though, while grommets are cheap there are different sizes and shapes the string has to stock and some are a bit of a pain to extract without damaging the racquet (especially shared grommet holes).

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

30 grommets is a lot to replace! Your racquet must have been in pretty bad shape!

Most regular shops will do a few grommets for free. There are guys who also do stringing services from home. You can check them out on Kijiji

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adidascanada View Post
    I am agreeing with the excessive pricing and all of that but at least it's done and the old grommets won't bite into your new strings and possibly cut them. : )
    There is also something else to consider though, while grommets are cheap there are different sizes and shapes the string has to stock and some are a bit of a pain to extract without damaging the racquet (especially shared grommet holes).
    even yonex grommets are not that expensive. grommets average about $0.01 to $0.02 each and some can be a pain but.... I also doubt that all 30 needed replacing. the most I've ever had to replace in a single stringing is 8 or so. I'm not denying that it can take time but $15 to replace 30 grommets is excessive and probably wasn't required to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this is my first time snapping my strings on this racquet and it was a Li ning N55 II, he told me it took him 30 minutes to fix up all the grommets and yeah there were alot of busted grommets.

I went to Everyday badminton to string my racquet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deathguyxx View Post
    Well this is my first time snapping my strings on this racquet and it was a Li ning N55 II, he told me it took him 30 minutes to fix up all the grommets and yeah there were alot of busted grommets.

I went to Everyday badminton to string my racquet.
    Ok well... I still don't know whether all 30 should have been replaced but... I have found that li-ning does use crappy grommets... such a disappointment on such "high end" expensive rackets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well to be exact it was 26 grommets but yeah i think i need a new place to string xD.
    I hear theres a good place at metro square and im planning to go there next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    Ok well... I still don't know whether all 30 should have been replaced but... I have found that li-ning does use crappy grommets... such a disappointment on such "high end" expensive rackets.
    I had done one YY ns9000 and I replaced 38 grommets. Honestly it is all time consuming job, any racket needs more than 20 grommet replacement I will call up the owner to propose replacing them all 'cause it is easier and that I ask for $5. Quality of YY's grommet is part of their business plan, one set of racket grommet is USD12.50, big business with profit margin of 5000%. If I do have a choice I rather just do the rackets without changing the grommet.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well to be exact it was 26 grommets but yeah i think i need a new place to string xD.
    I hear theres a good place at metro square and im planning to go there next.
    If you're in the Markham area you should visit Max sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    If you're in the Markham area you should visit Max sports.
    My friend strung a his crappy racquet there and it could take 20 LB (yonex warranty thingy) And they guy suggested he string at 24 LB and it deformed the frame....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend strung a his crappy racquet there and it could take 20 LB (yonex warranty thingy) And they guy suggested he string at 24 LB and it deformed the frame....
    Hmm, musta been a really crappy racquet! .. I went to Max sports a few years back when he was on the danforth? He did a great job stringing an SOTX racquet for me... I think his name was Michael. Also, you can buy whole sets of grommets online (e.g., mybadmintonstore.com) for relatively cheap (from $3-18 US shipped, depending on your needs). Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, Maxsports is the best for stringing. I've strung at maxsports over 8 times now with very good service. When it comes to a few grommets, they replace it for free. Replaced 2 of my grommets on my li ning racket. So I would recommend them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume that your friend must bring in a metal frame, that is normal that metal frame deforms at even 20lbs. And I don't really think that Michael will push your friend to increase the tension from 20lbs to 24lbs, that comment doesn't make sense to me at all, I string at MAX for years, I never heard that he will charge money on replacing grommets, complaints maybe , one of the best stringers in GTA for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast