Just a couple questions. . .

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jennifer, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

Hello, i need answers to the following questions please so if u know the answers please email me. thank you Jennifer

1. What is a shuttlecock?
    2. How many tries does the opposite player get to serve the bird if the original player fails to get the bird over the net?
    3. From where on the court do you stand to serve?
    4. Do you have to win by two points like volleyball to win the game?
    5. If there is a tie game how do you decide who wins?
    6. Can a player's racket go over the net?
    example: If He/She was trying to hit the bird and the racket goes past the net to hit it.
    * If Yes: When?
    * If No: What is the penalty?

7. Are there any stategies to the game?

Thank you- Please if you know any of the above question email me at blinkchic182_2004@yahoo.com
    I do need the answers as soon as possible so whatever info you have would be greatful!

2. Don

Don Regular Member

Since when

did badminton become a homework question?

3. Brett

Brett Regular Member

The internet is a great resource and allows us to participate in this forum, for instance. However, I can remember when I was in school, we used real books for homework projects and papers, and used our own research to complete these assignments, rather than try to get answers from other people electronically.

Jennifer, if you could find this site, you can also look up the rules yourself. They are clearly listed as a link on the main www.badmintoncentral.com home page. There are also resources available in a place at your school or in your community called a library and answers to your questions magically appear in these paper things they keep in libraries that people from older generations called "books."

4. knock-out

knock-out Guest

I don't know where Brett lives, but where I come from, there is absolutely nothing in the school or community libraries about badminton. When I started playing, I had to get on the internet and look, after countless hours in a library. Back then I happened to be much more comfortable in a library than on the Net, and I can honestly say that the libraries were badminton void. However, Brett, you are correct about this site containing some of the answers to Jen's questions.

Any, Jennifer, if you don't find all the answers you need, post another message with whatever you are lacking and I'm sure you'll get some answers; I for one, will be glad to help after you have put in some effort of your own.

5. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

Re: Since when

Thank you knock-out but i got all the answers i needed. And like I said in my email BRETT! You need to get a hold of yourself cuz damn, can u get any ruder?!? I hope not cuz things would probably be broken! I did do the report but the teacher didn't understand some of my answers and thats what those questions were, cuz obviously she didn't know what a shuttlecock is and neither did I so she asked me and I couldn't find any of the answers anywhere else so i had to come online. I'm not stupiod so don't think I am one of those people who go ask people for help right away, ok. I know how to figure out stuff for myself and THEN if i can't find the answer i will ask people. Thank You very much Brett but no matter how much u think I am just being lazy you are wrong.
    Jennifer

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I suppose you are right - it really depends on where you live. I saw about 8-10 books on badminton in my local library (albeit most were from the 1960's through early 80's) and I just made the assumption that most public libraries would have some materials on badminton. Knock-out, you live in Canada, don't you? In what size city? I would have thought that since badminton is a bit more popular in Canada than in the US, the libraries would have had more books on the sport. There is nothing wrong with using the internet to find information, but my comments to Jennifer were focused more on issues of ethics than technology.

My real problem is that in addition to Jennifer, there have been a number of similar postings on this forum by students looking for more than just a bit of help on their homework. Almost every one of these youths were not asking for a source where they could start their research - they were looking for someone else to do their homework for them, which was called cheating when I was in high school 20 years ago. I don't think that the average teenager these days has anywhere near the level of basic, practical academic skills that people of my generation or older had; most teenagers can't even calculate in their heads the amount of change they should be getting back when they buy a candy bar, which I could do by the age of seven or eight, because they can use calculators even in elementary schools.

Do people outside of the U.S. notice a similar academic laziness in the current generation of young students in their countries?

Well, I'll get off my soap box and stop acting like an old crusty curmudgeon. If I don't stop now, I will start telling stories about how I had to walk barefoot six miles in the snow to school every morning because we couldn't afford shoes....

7. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

You know what ur problem is Brett, its that u always say things and u have no clue what u are talking about. Maybe your kids can't calculate how much change they should be getting but don't you go around saying that every person in school can't do that cuz obviously you are very wrong.

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I will confess to some intellectual laziness for having made an assumption, without considering it in any depth, that most public or school libraries would have a book or two on badminton -that obviously is not the case, especially for people living in smaller cities or towns in the U.S. So, Jennifer, I will believe you about your research efforts up to a certain point.

That point would be with regard to the definition of "shuttlecock." Regardless of how modest your school or local library may be, it certainly has a few dictionaries and sets of encyclopedias and if you had looked in one of these most basic research sources, you would have found an adequate definition for shuttlecock.

I see that you have become quite upset with my comments, which was not my intention. I meant to goad you into taking a bit more effort and responsibility toward your studies and I am sorry if you found my comments to be excessively rude. As I implied in my earlier message, I would have found nothing whatsoever wrong if you had asked for a link to a website that could have provided the answers for which you were searching, but instead, you were looking for someone to answer your homework for you.

You have made several inferences from my earlier posting that are incorrect. You mentioned "your kids, " but I have no children yet. You also claim that I have improperly made an overbroad conclusion about teenagers - if you will read my comments carefully, you will see that I was referring to the "average teenager," not all teenagers. I do not believe in making all-inclusive generalizations about people because I do not believe in judging people based on stereotypes.

Before you hand in your assignment on badminton, I hope that you will take greater care to proofread it for spelling and grammar than you did with your messages on this board. I did not write my comments to make a personal attack against you; rather, I was simply trying to encourage you to take some initiative to do your homework properly and not succomb to intellectual and academic laziness. I hope you do very well on your report.

9. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

you know what. . . I don't even want to hear what you have to say anymore cuz nothing that comes out of your mouth now is just @!#$. You just think u are mr. bigshot of something cuz you play badminton, but umm.. if you haven't notived badminton sucks. So go around telling to what to do like your all cool or something. Why don't you just drop everything cuz i already turned in my work. And plus, you don't even know how i did things but u act like you do and u don't know how i looked up things or why i had to look up those extra questions, so you don' teven understand one thing. My point being that if you weren't gonna help me then i didn't want to hear anything out of your mouth!

10. knock-out

knock-out Guest

This is my first time back since I last posted, I guess I'm glad I missed that whirlwind...
    Anyways, No, Brett, I'm not from Canada. I also have few comments I'd like to make about how some people say one thing and then do another which happens to be completely opposite of what was said, but I'm gonna just stop at that. I really am not a conflict lover, I just happen to incite it in others at times.
    Also, Jennifer, if you ever come back to this site, which I doubt you will after your first experience, I hope you accept my apology. I also kind of assumed that you had not attempted much of your own research and apparently you had. Sorry, and good luck.