Really weird racquet.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Grotius, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Hmm; i hope the pics have uploaded.

I bought this years ago, I didn't know a thing about Badminton racquets but I knew from squash that it was iùportant to get a good one, so i bought the most expensive one in the shop.

I think this was designed to be used by a doubles player who always stays up front. For that usage, its wonderful. Its so short its incredibly handy, and it has a huge sweet spot. Its the most rigid racquet i've ever handled, you can see , the stem is so short there's nothing can bend. It's incredibly precise. For close up work at the net its marvellous, I've pulled some wonderful shots with it.

Of course its weakness is that there's no distance. I can get a presentable smash out of it, but not fast enough to do any damage and my backhand from the baseline is a disaster, the only shot I can get is from the left side, just over the left side of the net. First time it's ok, after that, I get set up with a shot to my left corner and they know exactly how the return will be.

Still, for a regular partnership where one partner stays up front, for the front player its a beast and a half.

2. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Damn, I'll get back to you on this one, when i've figured out how to upload photos.

3. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

I must be dumb, I can't see a 'file attachem'nt manager' button anywhere

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Click on Manage attachments in the "Additional Options" section below the Submit and Preview buttons.:)

5. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

photos; I hope tjis has worked

Attached Files:

6. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Yeah, scuse the fiddling around about the photos, I'm dumb, there's nothing can be done about it. I was born that way.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Vous venez d'un pays des plusieres génies.
    Vous ne pourriez pas être stupide!:)

Pardonnez ma français, mais mon épouse bilingue n'est pas à la maison pour m'aider.:eek:

8. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Anyway, I finally got the pics up, what do you think of the racquet?

9. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Interesting. It looks sturdy, if nothing else.
    If you can't win with your shots, you could always club the other team into submission.

10. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

lol! It's actually very light and marked 'High Modulus graphite' I don't think it would last very long if I started clubbing people to death with it!

11. druss

druss Regular Member

Very interesting, closest I've seen to that are some prince rackets. The sweetspot must be more circular than the standard oval shaped ones on most rackets.

12. ice man

ice man Regular Member

oh la vache ! impressionnant ! tu avais acheté ça où à l'époque ?

13. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Decathalon a Blagnac, Pres Toulouse, mais il y a bien longtemps.

14. CrimsonRain

CrimsonRain Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yep, there are rackets that have a circular shape as a head, but as it connects to the shaft, it ends up looking like a kite.

I wonder if people would be scared of seeing someone with this racket...or laugh at you...I would personally go o__O

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that was the most expensive racquet in the shop? kinda surprising! :rolleyes:

i have a couple of similarly 'weird' racquets, these were produced by prince a while back and they continued to produce such racquets until 2006 at least under the triple threat series.

anyways, here are my prince whiplites, been using them for donkey years and they still work fine, no problems with clears, smashes or defence at all. maybe it's just my poor technique that works well with this particular series.

prince 1.jpg

prince 2.jpg

16. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Yes well maybe they were out of stock that day or something. Ive had the racquet for about 12 years now and Decathalon in France is a very sports generaliste sort of store. Here in France no one takes very much notice ofthe racquet, though in Thailand where I live some of the time, lots of people wanted to try it.

I've seen the Prince bad racquets a couple of times. In fact when i was buying this I was looking for a Prince badminton racquet, I used to use their squash racquets which suited me to a tee.

Unlike a lot of people here, i don't believe in having lots of different racquets. i'm more into getting just one and becoming completely familiar with it. I still have this one, which I intend keeping, and recently I bought and sold a Karakal Mtec 70, now I have the Z slash. For the next ten years or so maybe!

One thing about the Major racquet, in spite of its limitaions it feels really good in my hand. It feels right, comfortable. I think its maybe the length, being shorter I am able to move it around so much faster, everything else ffeels unwieldly. Maybe I should saw an inch of so off the Z slash handle to see what it gives!

17. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Was anyone here playing badders in the late 80's?

I seem to remember maybe Prince having sort of hexagonal shaped rackets, and I remember them being grey but I could be wrong.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I also remember rainbow coloured strings, but they seem to have disappeared from the market....

18. busybodymiao

busybodymiao Regular Member

yes I do remember the rainbow colour strings ....

thought they were real fanciful~

19. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

wow didn't know technifiber made badminton rackets.
    havent seen a throat on a badminton racket either

20. malsharpes

malsharpes Regular Member

Computers
    Slazenger were one of the first ones to have "strange" shaped rackets, the quadro concept, I have one dating from late 80's/early 90's. They then did a range called Mystique. There were a lot of these around in the early to mid 90's, Carlton and Wilson were quite common. They tended to be cheaper rackets and they tended to be quite stiff as the shaft was shorter than normal. I think that the last to do differently shaped rackets in any big way was Wilson, with their Sledgehammer rackets. These were REALLY stiff.

Hope this helps.