Asics Gel Blast 2

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by limak, Jan 24, 2010.

1. limak

limak Regular Member

Brief description of my new indoor shoes:
    Shoes used before:
    Asics Gel Sensei 2. As I reduced my weight (18 kg) I decided to change the shoes. I searched some lihgter type but still with excellent cushioning. I have always had a good experience with Asics brand and finally chose Gel Blast 2.
    Description and technology:
    Mesh + synthetic leather. Gel units in the midsole (rearfoot + forefoot). Personal Heel Fit. I.G.S. (Impact Guide System). Solyte midsole material. Space Trusstic. Rhynoskin. Weight 318 g. It´s mostly a marketing techno newspeek :).
    First impessions:
    Shoes have a very good adhesion to the floor, no slipping. Maneuverability is much better than with Gel Sensei 2. Cushioning is excellent, no special insoles needed. Shoes were very comfortable from the first steps. Very stable in jumping.
    Conclusion:
    It´s all about personal preferencies. If you prefer very quick movement hold your special badminton shoes (Yonex etc.). But reverse side of quick and light shoes is usually inadequate cushioning. If someone knocks at the gate of mid-age, preference changes. You need to protect your ankles and knees and instead of agility prefer cushioning. Asics Gel Blast 2 is very good choice in this case.
    Final remark:
    This model is being replaced by A. Gel Blast 3. You can buy it with interesting discount. IMO design of A. Gel Blast 2 is much better than Gel Blast 3.

Attached Files:

2. limak

limak Regular Member

...and more pics. With my previous A. Gel Sensei 2.

Attached Files:

3. AmourAce1000

AmourAce1000 Regular Member

marketing
    Thanks for sharing.
    but there's not much of choice for asics indoor shoes that sale in my country. Even i go to S'pore, there only have the same model. Like: Gel Rocket 4, gel blade, 1130V, gel resolution 2, plus some i don't remember the model name. each model carry 2 or 3 colors. Recently i just bought a gel rocket 4, haven't it on court. I've check the website of Asics japan, Wow..... there's many model for indoor court shoes, specially for volleyball. i wonder where can i have a shopping tour on those item other than go to japan.

4. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Thanks for your awaited review.

May I know how is the ventilation of this shoe? Any mesh/air vent between the soles.

5. limak

limak Regular Member

There are several ventilation holes going through outsole. I will upload some pic.

6. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

I've worn three pairs of the Asics Gel Blast and Gel Blast 2.

I find the shoes are heavier than most badminton shoes, however, for bigger guys and jumpers, I believe they provide far superior cushioning than do most of the Yonex series products.

To answer your question for breathability, while they provide a nylon upper, it is a closed mesh version. Meaning that it breaths, but not as well as it could. The issue that you will find with most badminton shoes, like all other court shoes, is that they require a good amount of leather, or faux-leather to support to lateral movements. Therefore, sacrificing some of the breathability factor.

If you have any questions, I used to sell shoes for quite some time, i would be willing to help out.

Pete

7. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I have a Asics Gel Rocket (black ones) and it took me a little bit to get used to. Coming from Yonex shoes I noticed that the Asics sit slightly higher so I couldn't change directions as fast as with the Yonex (almost rolled on to ankle a few times).

One thing it did help with was with my knees. If I played hard for a few months I would get slight pain in the bump below my knees. After switching to Asics I have no pain at all.

And to the Limak. My wife is from Usti Nad Labem :)

8. limak

limak Regular Member

Agree with you. Asics soles are generally thicker then Yonex ones. It relates to far better cushioning. I´m 40 and I need to protect my knees...
    Sorry for off-topic but I have to say Hello from Ostrava:)