tan kim her and rexy issue

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by limsy, Jan 24, 2010.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    too much politics spoil the game... anyway.. msia doubles are going great gun so everyone want to take a share of GLORY!

Not much people want to get involve in Single department.. because no glory there!

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It is not about the coach. There is no issue between Rexy and Kim Her. I believe both of them works well together if they want to.

BAM is the Problem here. The top post is up for grabs and BAM is trying to create some conflict here.

4. jon_91

jon_91 Regular Member

Student
    Why do politics have to do with sports? Politics and sports is never going to get along. And once there is politics involved in any association. Non will be better even then MKA( Malaysian Kennel Association ) is all politics even though dogs lover joined the club.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    clever

yup
    i believe tkh and rexy can cooperate well if they work togather
    they are not as stupid as those politician

6. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    whatever it is, Rexy is a good coach
    sad to see him in tears after yesterday win...
    the title meant so much for him due to some
    backlashing from some jokers in BAM....
    no wonder our sports cannot go far in international
    scene...coz of so much jokers in sports...

7. SibugiChai

YAB
    The things about all these JOKERS is that they want GLORY and not SHAME!

They all hide behind the scene till when GLORY come, everyone rushed out to take credit...

Some more they use RAKYAT's money and not theirs...

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just like what have been mentioned numerous times..

..by our Pemuda abt the root of the problem. Surprised?

Oh well, we might read/see another rhetorical OpEd by Pemuda.:p

9. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    is Rexy really leaving ??

10. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

No, in today's BH...he said his heart still with Mas.......he wanted to produced a Olympic Gold in Mas...........:D:D Good news huh...?

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Since you mention, in Utusan Msia, Rexy said he let Rosman & Pang train the MD cos he trust in their ability, he still oversee.
    Rexy want groom the youngsters so Msia have good MD 10 to 20 yrs down the road, not depend on KKK/TBH only. So, must start grooming now. In the earlier list(bf BAM announce hire TKH), Rexy take the 2 new rookie pairs, Chooi KM & gang.

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2010&dt=0125&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Sukan&pg=su_02.htm

To me, I agree also, the seniors like KKK/TBH, Fuzzy all experienced enough, should be independent, no need every time Rexy follow them go tournament or supervise day to day training. THen only he has time to see to the other pairs, MD, XD, WD.

#11 eaglehelang, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yup, there are too much politics in BAM.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    kkk is good enough for 5 more years,tbh 7
    mak 11,tan 10,cps 6,lkw10

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  15. SibugiChai

YAB
    Rexy has public support but the power still lies with BAM top gun

16. mafan

mafan Regular Member

CCO of BAM (Chief Critic Officer) :)
    BAM and Malaysian Badminton

I have been a regular visitor to BadmintonCentral.com for quite a few years now and I also regularly keep up with news about badminton, especially the progress of Malaysian badminton. I currently reside in California and I get my badminton news from the Star and the New Straits Times online. And then of course, there is BC. I believe this is my first post on BC (I may have posted a message a long time ago when I first signed up). I just could not hold back any longer after reading about the Rexy Mainaky-BAM issue. I hope Rexy stays.

Before I give you my two cents' worth, I would like to congratulate Lee Chong Wei on his successes at the Korean Open and Malaysian Open and I applaud his ambition and his hard work and sacrifices in striving to win the "majors" like the AE, World Championship and the Olympic Games titles (as reported in the recent New Straits Times article). I have been following his progress since I saw him play at the World Championship in Anaheim, California in 2005. I wish him good luck in his quest and whether or not he wins a major title before he retires, I hope badminton fans will appreciate and recognize him for his accomplishments regardless, and acknowledge that his hard work and sacrifices have brought Malaysia quite a bit of pride in the sports world. I know it is not easy for him to accomplish what he has achieved in spite of what I believe to be bad and incompetent management at BAM.

BAM is very good at pointing to committees and policies and targets, etc. Stop hiding behind such committees, policies and targets or indexes. After all, who establishes such committees, policies, targets or indexes? BAM, I believe.

Several weeks ago, I read that BAM had hired Tan Kim Her and that Rexy was not consulted or informed of that decision until after the fact. At that time, I knew that this would not sit well with Rexy. If I were in Rexy's shoes, it would not sit well with me too. Mind you, I am not saying that the decision to hire Tan Kim Her is a bad decision, but the way it was accomplished was confounding. How do you not at least get the input of your chief doubles coach involved in such a process? And pure human decency, courtesy and respect for Rexy would have meant that Rexy be allowed to give his input.

But for Rexy to learn about the decision the way he did shows that BAM did not give Mr. Mainaky the respect he deserved. Being a "boss" is more than just forming committees, setting policies and targets, etc. It also requires that you manage and act in a way that your subordinates respect you and want to go beyond the call of duty for you. If a boss doesn't treat the subordinate with respect, then the subordinate will also lose respect for the boss and will not be inclined to go beyond the call of duty.

It is rather condescending for BAM, through Kenny Goh, to tell Rexy that if he "continues to do his work and meet his KPI (Key Performance Index), he should not be afraid of being sacked". Rexy is a professional. He knows that. In fact, any employee anywhere knows that if he or she does not perform up to par, he or she faces termination. What Mr. Goh said was of no consolation to Rexy and I think it was insulting and demeaning. For heaven's sake, he is your chief doubles coach! (By the way, thank you Rexy for your guidance of the Malaysian doubles squads, especially KKK/TBH and CEH/WPT. I believe they would not have accomplished what they have so far without your guidance)

BAM was, in my opinion detached, and Mr. Goh was mincing his words and just being linguistically technical in the article I read on this issue with Rexy. BAM's management showed its insensitivity and detachment from its subordinates when Mr. Goh said that Rexy's "... reaction comes as a (sic) news to us (the BAM). We did not know that he felt this way. He had never expressed it to us". This shows a lack of leadership in my opinion and more importantly, a lack of understanding of human nature. How else is Rexy supposed to feel when BAM goes out to hire a doubles coach without consulting him for input on the matter? It is only natural that one would feel that one's job is threatened if the boss hires somebody else that can do the same thing. One would be a total dummy not to feel threatened under such circumstances.

BAM, through Mr. Goh goes on to say that the "... key word here is communication. He is allowed to speak to us at any time..." Well, communication is a two-way street. Perhaps if BAM had communicated their plans to hire Tan Kim Her to Rexy and sought his input, the relationship between Rexy and BAM would not be frayed and Rexy would not have had his outburst.

Mr. Goh continues, "... In BAM, we have a system. If Rexy continues to do his work and meet his KPI (Key Performance Index), he should not be afraid of being sacked. He should not be unduly worried." Well, yeah, I guess he should not be unduly worried. (But he better be worried). No where in the article did I read anything from BAM that I consider to be reassuring to Rexy. There is not a shred of any statement from BAM that commends or praises Rexy on the work that he has done for Malaysian badminton. But there are a lot of "if"s.

Perhaps BAM wants to have its cake and eat it too, in that having Tan Kim Her in its fold now will allow BAM to terminate Rexy at their pleasure.

Why is it that when there are "failures" in Malaysian badminton, it is either the players' or the coaches' fault? I have put "failures" in quotation marks because sometimes I do not consider certain shortcomings or inability to meet certain targets (set by, ahem, BAM) to be real failures. Has BAM considered that the targets set may have been unrealistic but just wishful thinking by BAM?

Anyway, getting back to the players and coaches being blamed for "failures", I think it is about time management, i.e. BAM take its fair share of blame for "failures." This current Rexy-BAM fiasco is an example. Bad management led to the rift. Come on, let's face it. In the commercial world, successful enterprises have good, competent management. It is ludicrous for Apple or Walmart to blame its workers if the companies experience a downturn in their fortunes. As in the commercial world, it is the same in the sports world. Top management has to provide the work-horses the best or optimal environment, experiences and atmosphere to accomplish success.

And I believe that putting management on a pedestal immune from criticism and seemingly incapable of doing anything wrong is not the right approach. I remember some weeks back when the news broke about BAM hiring Tan Kim Her and Rexy not consulted on it, that BAM issued a statement that it did not need to consult with Rexy on that decision. That was a monumental mistake that only drove the wedge between Rexy and BAM deeper. Granted, BAM could have made a decision contrary to Rexy's suggestions if he had been consulted on it, but not to have consulted him was poor judgment (and poor human relations management) and it was exacerbated by the later statement that there was no need to seek Rexy's input.

I have read some comments from fellow BCers that management would be quick to take the glory (for Malaysian badminton successes). I agree. And management appears thus far to have been faster still to push the blame.

I do not have the answer for making Malaysian badminton as powerful as, or perhaps even stronger than China's squad. Perhaps it is a realistic goal, perhaps not. But I know that if we are to be an effective threat to China's dominance at each tournament, Malaysian badminton needs BAM to have an attitude adjustment. Get rid of the "I'm the boss who can't do anything wrong and you're my humble work-horse who must accomplish all the goals I set for you or you're a complete failure" attitude. Recognize the different cultures, systems, etc. that exist among the various badminton powers in the world and see how Malaysian badminton can pick up the best from the various powerhouses and improvise it to Malaysian badminton. Recognize that some things may be within your control and that some things may be beyond your control.

I understand that many Malaysian parents are not keen on their children taking up sports as a career. After all, how many Lee Chong Wei's can there be? Most, if not all parents would prefer their children to concentrate on their studies. We must recognize this and see how we can build incentives for youngsters to want a career in sports and perhaps postpone further education. We must take care of these dedicated youngsters financially so they can concentrate on training to be the best in their chosen sports and not have to worry about where the next meal is coming from. (I had read quite some time back about the Hafiz Hashim situation where he was concerned about his financial situation.) Parents have to be assured that their children's sacrifices for their country will not leave their children at a disadvantage in their post-badminton lives.

Most importantly, I think, is that BAM and Malaysian badminton fans have to recognize that each and every top world-class athlete and sportsperson out there is there for a reason - they are just THAT GOOD. Lin Dan is THAT GOOD. Roger Federer is THAT GOOD. And of course, who can forget our very own Nicol David. She is THAT GOOD. This does not mean others cannot topple these sportspersons. It can be done and it has been done. Lin Dan, Roger Federer and Nicol David have been beaten. When you're at the pinnacle of world sports, everything has to be right for victory. And of course, luck helps too. But if Malaysian athletes or sportspersons do not topple their world-class competitors at tournaments, it is not necessarily a failure. There can only be one winner at any given time. What is more important is how they performed at the tournament, regardless of whether they won or not. Of course Malaysian fans want LCW and Nicol David to win all the time but that's not going to happen. But it does not mean they are failures either if they do not win a competition or tournament.

And this is why it saddens me sometimes when I read the comments some BCers write here when Malaysian players do not win, and especially when LCW does not win. Even when LCW beats LD, there will still be Malaysian fans who say that LD was probably off-form, injured or sick. Nothing is ever good enough for these fans. If only they knew how hard it is at the top of the world.

And then there are those who shrug off LCW's WR#1 as a non-accomplishment just because he has not won a major title. Come on, take away LCW and what else does Malaysian badminton have? He is single-handedly the most successful and consistent player in Malaysian badminton today. He closed the gap and surpassed Taufik Hidayat. If we cannot applaud and appreciate his accomplishments, then we are very ungrateful indeed. So what if he has not won a major. It is not easy being WR#1. It is also not LCW's decision to not have LD participate in more tournaments. There's nothing he can do about that. I am sure if it was up to LCW, he would prefer that LD shows up at every tournament that LCW participates in.

I am getting a little off track here, but in recent years as LCW was improving and closing the gap between him and LD, LD chose to cut down on his participation in tournaments. This deprives LCW of the opportunity to play LD and gain valuable experience in playing his number one foe in the badminton world. Strategically, I do not blame LD as he has won majors and has nothing more to prove. LD does not stand to gain anything in this rivalry. In fact, he only stands to lose in this rivalry between him and LCW. After all, LD is expected to be victorious in their confrontations. But if he loses, it tarnishes his image and is a chink in his armor. Hence, it is best for LD to concentrate on fewer tournaments to maximize his chances for success and minimize LCW's successes against him. Most of all, I believe LD's non-participation is to deprive LCW of the experience of playing against LD. LD has the luxury of staying in his backyard and still have quality sparring partners. LCW does not have that in his backyard. I am not trying to fuel the debate in another thread about whether LD was afraid to come to the Malaysian Open. I am not saying LD was afraid. I am just saying that this is his strategy and it appears to work well for him so far. It takes brains to be a champion too and a winning strategy is a result of superior intelligence. I do not blame LD for his strategy as I would do the same if I were in his shoes. It may also not entirely be LD's decision to reduce his participation in tournaments. It may very well be his coach's or his national body's decision so that they may best protect LD's "invincibility" on the badminton court.

But I do hope that LCW and Misbun Sidek will together come up with a strategy that will help LCW derail LD. Yes, I want very much for LCW to win at the AE, WC and 2012 Olympics. But if he doe not, it is still all right because I am confident (from what I have read about LCW) that he is giving his best in training and preparation and I know he will give his best at tournaments. LCW, you're a winner already. By the way, thank you to Misbun too for your guidance of LCW and WMC. I am aware of your wife's health problems and I appreciate that you persist in giving your best to our players despite your personal difficulties. I wish you and your family the best.

Sorry for digressing. Now back to the topic. The important thing is whether our athletes and sportspersons give it their best shot. They must give their best in training, in preparation, and in performance. (Though an occasional off-form day is understandable) And this is where management comes in. Management needs to provide an environment and an atmosphere where Malaysian sportspersons want to give their best and will give their best. And management has to recognize and understand that sometimes one's best is just not good enough. After all, if everyone who gave their best would achieve world-class dominance in a particular sports, there would not be any athlete or sportsperson as well-known as Federer, etc. since everyone else who gave their best would also be capable of being No. 1. There would be no dominance and there would be different winners at each tournament. World rankings would change weekly.

The coaches and management have to be able to spot talent and weed out the ones that have reached their maximum potential but who would not likely be successful in the sport. As I understand it, it was Morten Frost who recognized LCW's talent early on in LCW's career.

Heavy-handed and/or frequent criticism may not be the best approach. It can be demoralizing. I guess management and coaches have to recognize their charges' character and personalities. Different people respond differently to various stimuli. Some need constant prodding. Some are best left on their own.

It also confounds me that despite previous Malaysian success in the Junior World Championships, BAM has failed to groom these youngsters into world beaters. (I have deliberately written it like this and not "It also confounds me that despite previous Malaysian success in the Junior World Championships, these youngsters have failed to bloom into world beaters".) The junior players need guidance to grow into world-class players and it is clear they are not getting it if they all fade into obscurity after their world junior triumphs. Or is it that management is satisfied that their "target" of a junior victory has been attained and they kick back and bask in the glory and forget to move on. If I am not mistaken, Chen Long of China was recently a junior world champion and he has developed into a player who can challenge any of the world's top players (including LD and LCW) on a good day. China has numerous players, male and female in their late teens and early twenties (and I mean 20, 21 and not 22 or 23) standing in the wings ready to take over when the current crop of world champions retire. I think our failure to develop our Malaysian junior world champions into "senior" world-class players is a sign that the BAM "system" needs fixing.

There is so much I want to say but I have been long-winded enough. I don't have the answers but I recognize a problem when I see one. And Malaysian badminton has a problem. It's BAM. Remember the Malay proverb that says how one can see an ant a mile away but cannot see the elephant in front of him? Well, I think this is the case with BAM. Quick to blame and find fault with others but not recognize its own shortcomings.

Please do not take this as a personal attack on BAM or its officers. It is not. This is merely my observations and my opinion based on what I have read in the media and my experience from having lived in Malaysia for many years. Despite being away for a long time now, I am still a loyal Malaysian badminton fan and I only wish the best for our badminton warriors. And if the best is to come to them, then management has to offer the best too.

17. psychophant

psychophant Regular Member

Pedicurist
  18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  19. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Good post, mafan. I actually read the whole thing! :)

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Missing

Mafan,
    Where have you been?
    I too read the whole post. Great.:)
    Anybody know why Morten Frost left? And the others?
    Because of poor management?