Rackets making a creaking sound when swung quickly?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by CrimsonRain, Jan 24, 2010.

1. CrimsonRain

CrimsonRain Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Right now, I have an AT900P and an AT900T that make these creaking noises whenever I swing them back and forth (up-down/side-side, as if one were to test the rackets out). The noise seems to come from the shaft/cone area, and honestly, it creeps me out. I'm worried my rackets are going to die soon. My AT900P is around 3yrs old, and my AT900T is around 2yrs old. T_T

Also, while I'm at it, I've noticed that on the cone of these two rackets, the paint slowly peels off, beginning in the shaft/cone intersection. However, my AT700(2yrs old) does not have this problem in the cone, nor does it make the creaking sound.

Is this normal for rackets, seen more often in certain rackets, or are my rackets really dying (coincidentally together)?

*I tried searching for similar questions using the search function, but failed ><*

Thanks to everyone in advance!

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Since it's 2-3 years old it's out of warrenty. If it was brand new and still within the warrenty peroid you could get a replacement since it would be defective.

Right now, what you describe is that the cone is a bit loose. Also look at the cone itself where the shaft and cone meets - there maybe cracks/fractures which is typical due to the usage.

Is the sound there if you hold right at the cone itself and goes away when swinging? If not then it's the handle itself and that would require some handy man work to be done - there is a thread on it but do not recall what the title of it is.

3. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Rackets does not last forever , even if you look after it well. All the wear and tears will do the damage , it sound like the wood on the handle is going ...so watch out next time you smash .....

4. CrimsonRain

Pharmacy Student
    @Matt When I hold at the cone itself and swing, there is no creaking sound. -sigh- Can't believe after 3 years of playing my rackets will die soon...but then again, I played with them at least once every week ><

What about the paint peeling off on the cone? Can anyone explain this? D:

#4 CrimsonRain, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

As Matt says, it is the screw that holds the shaft to the wooden handle that is coming loose. It would require kind of a major surgery on the handle to properly fix it. There is a thread somewhere, just search.

BTW, out of curiosity, what country code is your racket?

6. CrimsonRain

Pharmacy Student
    My AT900P is SP and the AT900T is US.