Leicester Clubs

Discussion in 'UK' started by AndyUK, Jan 25, 2010.

1. AndyUK

AndyUK New Member

Hi, I've had a quick search on the forum but some of posts seem a bit old so I thought I'd post a new one.

I've moved into a new area of Leicester, used to play in Oadby/Wigston but it's a bit far for me to travel now and was hoping people might be able to suggest some clubs, just to play badminton rather than competitive (league, etc)

I live not far from junction 21 on the M1, just so you have an idea of the area I'm in :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been without badminton for far too long!

Andy

2. iori_uk

iori_uk New Member

Administrator
    Partner wanted?

Hi Andy,

I use to play badminton in Oadby until I finsihed uni there couple of years ago. Ive moved back to the city and im looking to find a group/individual to play with. If you don't mind playing with a girl ( a rusty one at that) drop me a line.
    I'm living off of Narborough road so anywhere in the city should be fine.
    P.S I drive.

3. m.r.paradine

m.r.paradine New Member

Hi Andy,

What kind of standard are you looking at playing in?

There are a number of clubs near Enderby, and 1 just off narborough road that may interest you.

I only came to Leicester a few months ago, and had the same difficulty finding a club. I have recently set up an interactive map to help people find their nearest club in Leicester. You can find it here

It's only in the early stages of its making at the moment, but I'm pretty sure 95% of the leicester clubs are on there, and most of the details should be correct (They were taken from last years league handbook).

Hope that helps you out a bit :)

4. AndyUK

AndyUK New Member

Hi, apologies for the late reply!

Thanks for the map that's very handy! Is it more leagues that are listed than casual games though?

And iori, thanks for the offer, I'll try and send you a message later on today when I have a bit more time!

5. dlsk07

dlsk07 Regular Member

Student
    hello i'm from oadby, and i was wondering who was your coach, where the club is, and do you have their contact?

6. AndyUK

AndyUK New Member

Hi, sorry for the late reply. The place I played at was at Parklands and mostly people in their 40s-50s and they weren't great at letting new people join, I only joined as my Dad played there!

I'm still looking for a decent club where I am, who knew it would be so difficult!

7. James_W

James_W New Member

hi there

I noticed that this thread is quite old now but I too have just recently moved to Leicester. I've been on the Leicestershire badminton association and found a few clubs near me. Rather than trial everyone I wondered if anyone could offer any advice for the club best suited for me. I'm in my mid-twenties, about an average player and keen to play at a minimum once week but more would be preferred. Also I'm more of a singles player than a doubles player (which most clubs seem to be) so are there ay clubs which do more single games? Cheers in advance

James

8. m.r.paradine

m.r.paradine New Member

Hi James,

Have you played much league badminton before? - as if you had it would help to get an idea of your standard to be able to direct you to a suitable club. Also whereabouts in Leicester are you based?

I currently run Longslade Stoneygate Badminton club, but not quite sure we would be what you are looking for. Unfortunately I don't think there are any clubs that focus on singles, in most cases you might get a cheeky game of singles in at the end. If you post a bit more details about where you have played before, I'd be happy to give some suggestions.

Mark

9. James_W

James_W New Member

Hi Mark,

I haven't played in a league but when I lived on the Isle of Wight a few years ago I played with some league members, I think they were the 3rd division. Mainly I play with friends but in various social clubs I tend to be a bit above average (not sure if that helps much!)I'm based about a mile away from the Tigers stadium

James

p.s. thanks for the PM