Is prompting allowed in doubles?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by godknife, Jan 25, 2010.

1. godknife

godknife Regular Member

What does the Law say on prompting your partner while playing doubles?
    For example, if you see you partner picking a shuttle going out, can you shout "Out, out"?:confused:

2. JinXi

JinXi Regular Member

Student
    Don't see the problem with that
    However, if you say out and your partner leaves it and it falls IN, you'll lose the point.
    It can be confusing for your partner so only prompt when you're 100% sure you're partner is making a wrong judgment.

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I think the only problem with that is when your opponents, or the umpire feels that your shout may influence a line judge's call whether a shuttle has landed in or out. Other than that, there isn't much of a problem as part of the doubles game is about teamwork.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

No problem, the line judge should not be influenced by any shouting and if he is the umpire can overrule him.

Part of being a team is communication and letting your partner know when you think something is out is part of that.

5. ALERIN

ALERIN Regular Member

I think you can talk as much as you want if you do not disturb to your opponents, agree with all of u doubles is about teamwork and communication

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I disagree. I think under the Rules in the section entitled "Recommendations to Technical Officials", Section 3.5.3 A player shouting to a partner who is about to hit the shuttle shall not necessarily be regarded as distracting the opponents. Calling ‘no shot’, ‘fault’, etc. shall be considered as distraction (Law 13.4.5).

7. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Prompting is by no means improper. Afterall, it is sometimes part of the team strategy. Meaning, the gameplan is to prompt mild manneredly but never take action which strategically impacts upon the opposing side.

8. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    course its allowed. you see internationals calling for their partners to leave and stuff all the time in doubles.

9. baddyNIRvana

baddyNIRvana New Member

see thru opponents!!!!

guyz plz help me out here...

i mostly make out wat shot is comin at my side in doubles,n i m almost every time paired wid a weak partner, so is it a rule tht u cannot alert ur partner wat is comin his way coz i play both indoor(wid gud players who never have said ny thing 2 me ) n out doors (wid not so gud players) all above 30-40 age group n they always crib tht dont speak in between a rally they dont let me prompt my partner wat shot is comin his way :mad: so is it not allowed?

10. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    its allowed...doubles is all about teamwork...the people you're playing with don't know what they're talking about ;)

11. matt30mb

matt30mb Regular Member

YES it is allowed ... however it is not alowed to shout OUT or IN while the shuttle is on yr opponents side - it is a clear distruction and should be called fault.

12. alexandruhhhhx

alexandruhhhhx New Member

It is definitely allowed. Communication, with doubles, is so extremely important. It's mostly up to your partner to tell you whether or not they want you shouting or not. Some people find it helpful, others find it distracting.