badminton slam-dunks

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by Mithundada, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mithundada

Mithundada New Member

hi all

My 1st post. Does anyone ever perform slam-dunk smashes in mid/ front court / tramlines for easy / semi easy kills? This is pretty much a jumping smash. I've been inspired by watching Pete Sampras's legendary slam-dunk tennis smashes (see link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkQ58TnSdug ) and been using this in my games.

In my group most people use ground smashes or standing stab shots for these kills however surely going airborne is more effective as its very aggressive & gives the opposition lesser time to defend a steeper shot. In my last session for e.g i must have converted 9/10 slam-dunks. The one that got away was one which was close to the net & my forward leap took me into the net!

What are people's thoughts here? do they leap or compose themselves and play standing smashes / kills? Please watch the video and you with get the idea with Pete Sampras! thanks.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    you need to watch more international badminton;) to be inspired. Try looking up "Sigit" - he was awesome...Pete Sampras probably copied him.;)

Me, I wouldn't waste my energy if I can put an really easy kill away. Badminton, at a higher level, is way more intense then tennis anaerobically. I need to conserve energy for the next rally especially if you play against players with good defence and pull you around the court. If they really have that good a defence, then yes, I would jump in the fore/mid court for steepness.

3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

The ones by Pete Sampras look like normal jump smashes, down to the jumping and kicking technique, just with a lot more front moving motion which is not really needed in badminton.

Cheung is correct; sometimes when the offensive lift/clear is short or weak it is better to just jump slightly into the air backwards to facilitate an over the head rather than all the way as in a full jump smash. Badminton is more about placement and shot pressure while tennis is more or less pure power play.

4. Mithundada

Mithundada New Member

thanks for the responses guys. Most helpful and it highlights your expertise. What Blitzzards says is true i'm using the shot purely for pure power play to win the point this as my kills / placement is only ok.

5. Mithundada

Mithundada New Member

Cheung hi just checked some vids of Sigit as you recommended. Incredible player and athleticism. This clip alone was impressive. He showed excellent reflexes early on and then showcased 3 jumping smashes - the 2nd one was very impressive as he took a aerial shot by leaping sideways left to right over a fairly long distance and maintained his poise. Its really great to see the level of athleticism of the top players like Sampras & Sigit in thier fields.

6. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Pete Sampras is the Lin Dan of Tennis,, i cheer for him man !