User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to beat LD? aint`t it simple?!!!

just be stronger, faster, more clever, more motivated, more agile than LD.....and u`ll beat him easily.

shhhh..............dont tell anyone about this ok

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pBmMalaysia View Post
    I wonder why the thread starter suddenly lost interest in it,

I was just about to understand his concept

In a way there is something there to describe how Lin Dan play

but some part I am confused
    Strangely, that's someone in my club who brought up the same idea about 'Tai Chi' badminton some time ago. That guy is at his middle age now and has been playing badminton for 30 years. However, he is from Hong Kong instead of Malaysia .

From what I understand, 'Tai Chi' badminton is a philosophy(or should we say mental state?) of playing badminton rather than a kind of skill. There are many similarities between 'Tai Chi' and badminton. First let me correct the misconception, Tai Chi is not 'slow' like what the old folks are practicing in the morning(those are just for exhibition and exercise for really old folks, the slow Tai Chi). Instead, it is a martial art that involved short fast movements(similar to Weng Chun). All the movements are made as short as possible (akin to using only your wrist and forearm instead of swinging whole arm for hitting in badminton) and this made the master of art look as if he didn't move when he was beating his opponents up (I am imagining Jet Li). It also put alot of emphasis on relaxing your body before you excecute your attacks and channel all your strength at the moment of impact(much like badminton which required to relax before hitting and tightening your grip when hitting the shuttle). This made the attacks more efficient(deadly as well) and quicker at the same time.

When it comes to Tai chi badminton- Basically, you have to be really relaxed when playing your game. I always got criticized(by him) for being too tense while playing, thus resulting in alot of unforced error. Strangely when I followed what he advised, my game improved and I was able to hit to corners or retrieve shots which I normally can't do. He told me that if you were all tensed up, you started to swing your rackets wilder than you normally do, thus resulting in errors. In addition, it also helps you to read your opponents better and moved more freely on court(you will feel like you are flowing on court when you are relaxed). Having said that, it's not easy to do so, I tried to relax as much as possible on court but still got told for not letting myself 'loose' enough.

One of our best players in my club(another younger player) said that he has improved leaps and bounds after adopting this 'Tai Chi' badminton philosophy. It makes it so much harder to beat him now-just how can you beat someone who almost make no unforced errors and can place accurate shots all over the court. I used to be able to beat him once every three games but now is getting nearly impossible to beat him.

This 'Tai chi' style certainly do seems like the philosophy which LD's adapt now-playing completely relax and free(as he has won all the big ones). This might explained why LD's made so few errors these days, cause he is not rushing the shots.

But what I understand is only the basics though, the more advanced thing like reading flow and creating/destroying flow are way beyond me(understand vaguely but don't know enought to put it in clear words). Something completely out of my league, probably a guy with various competitive experience can explain more.
    Last edited by lcleing; 02-10-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, lcleing what you mentioned about tai chi now brings back some memory..

My late father learned tai chi and I can still remember what he said applies the same in badminton such as:

the griping - loose then grip hard when you strike (that how they punch or push you 5 ft away!)

the footwork - when you want to be fast, you don't run but you move fast in steps (that's how they move)

the deception - once you are in the court you have to be deceptive

and to cheat as well (not those line call cheat or counting more points lol).

Here you really don't know when a tai chi guy gonna strike you!

And the most important thing what is on your mind!

Whatever you want you must stay focus and have patience,

The moment you lost either one of this will loose a point for baddy

or a bloody nose during tai chi sparring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxii View Post

just be stronger, faster, more clever, more motivated, more agile than LD.....and u`ll beat him easily.

shhhh..............dont tell anyone about this ok
    It looks simple but yet it's damn hard and at this moment there is only a handful who could beat him once in a while

If we take his recent k.o. opponents who really gave him a hard time,

they are probably simon and lcw.

Looking at those video we can see ld only needs certain 'windows' to finish off his opponent

at the very crucial stage, why? : D

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15