Coaching 9-10 Year olds

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by rasa1993, Jan 27, 2010.

1. rasa1993

rasa1993 Regular Member

Hi guys
    Our school is running a talented sports day where young children are put to the test in different sports. Our sport is Badminton. Therefore, we have to provide good coaching tips by using specific drills. They have to be challenging as well as fun and enjoyable. There will be groups of 5 or 6 and we wil just have to challenge them really in different aspects. Also at the end of each session we do a small small of a sort. Each session lasts roughly of about 40 mins. I hope you could provide some ideas.
    Thank you
    rasa

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    warm-up & stretching

briefing

physical test
    - modified agility test?
    - or any other fast feet exercises (within 30 sec how many can they do?)
    - 50 to 100m run 3 times and obtain their average time?
    (equipment to be used: cones, log book, stop watch)

specific drill
    - 5 or 6 drills on serve, lob, drop, net, underarm lift?
    feed them say, 10 birds each for lob...

match play
    - short maybe 5 points round robin

cool down

award certificates?

bye bye!

3. druss

druss Regular Member

One of the fun drills we used to do when I taught tennis was called "round the world". You line up half the kids on one court and the other half on the other side. One kid hits starts a rally then runs around to the other side and lines up, the first kid on the other side returns then runs to the back of the line on the first side, the second kid on the first side hits it and runs, the second kid on the second side hits it and runs.... etc. So the kids hit a shuttle then runs to the line up on the other side of the court and hits it again on that side when his turn comes up. Each time a kid misses he stops playing and you and up with 1 less kid in the game. Keep going until you only have 1 kid left.

4. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    that will be fun and for tennis but for baddy i just don't let them run! we don't run we use footwork even the newie. they run only during the warm up.

anyway this drill is good and can be modified to suit baddy.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

no offence but... if I was making the recommendation to you then I'd care...

The point is that this is for a school, not someone who's paying you to coach them.

6. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    sorry if my post offended you in anyway - i am used to point out mistakes fast!

as for school project whether paid or not paid or even private coaching, my friend druss, treatment should be the same...

7. druss

druss Regular Member

No it should not... I'm not sure what you're thinking but there is a difference between making something fun for kids and teaching them something verses coaching and training someone you want to turn into an athlete.

The point here is to get kids interested in different sports and hopefully teach them something at the same time so that they will continue to play in the future and AT THAT TIME may be interested in true training and coaching. You turn something that's supposed to be fun into a hard core training session for 10 year olds then you turn them away from the sport.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with kids but I'll tell you right now, if it's their choice and it's not fun... they aren't doing it. This is completely different from a parent paying money for a coach so they have to be there.

And just to be clear... since we're giving opinions... no one has made any "mistakes". I have my opinion, you have yours. You disagree with me and I disagree with you... which is fine... but don't make comments about "mistakes"....

8. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    well, we do have different opinion and i was stating mine in my last post and never has the intention to discredit your suggestion using 'tennis' drill! you just jump too fast!

i mentioned it's good and can be modified for baddy and i will not let them run even newie - that's nothing wrong whether its for total fun or serious training as i just mentioned it can be modified. just use your imaginations here - you draw numbers of the court, 1 with your left foot, 2 for your right foot .... is this not fun?

also, you don't have to question my abilities, my experience with kids it has nothing to do with this - it's an insult to me just because i use the word 'mistake'!

and it's still a mistake to me if they run in front of me! (this is my opinion)

as for my coaching experience, they may not be too long but if you want to know you can go to my website!

9. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    pbmmalaysia. Mind to tell me your real name? =)