I met the mother of one of our MAS shuttler

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Pemuda, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

My company hosted a dinner for some Japanese clients in a chinese restaurant in KL on Tue and the lady serving our table is the mother. I had a nice conversation with her. She is a very nice and funny lady as well. Who is the shuttler?? Ok, in order to protect the privacy of this shuttler, I will not disclose his name. All I will say is that he & his partner caused one of the biggest upset in the recently concluded MO :).

During our conversation and in-between jokes, she told me her son was unlucky the next day as they couldnt beat their next opponents. I told her I watched that game and my take is that her son and his partner just dont have the depth and technique. She took my comments positively and said that her son/partner dont have the experience as opportunities for them to compete overseas are rather few and in between. She said while others despite their consistent failures are given numerous opportunities, some are just plain unlucky.

Anyway, for what it is worth, she told me her husband was at the stadium that night her son/partner upset the favorites. She said her son was totally exhausted after that match as he played the game of his life.

Well, thats BAM I guess. It is sad when we mix politics and sports together. Rather than promoting or developing based solely on merit, we are bogged down with quotas and etc.

On the side note, I think our MO need an overall facelift if we aspire to make it a prestigious event. Facilities wise, it is very poor ... almost 3rd world like, I must say. Our stadium looks like it is falling apart. It is embarrassing. We need to have numbered seatings. Its 2010, not 1970. With numbered seatings, we wont have one guy placing water bottles, bags, shirts, umbrellas over a row of seats. Numbered seatings will also prevent those entering the stadium illegal i.e. using their friend's ticket etc. Plus, one dont need to be at the stadium early to 'reserve' seats.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i guess most of us have already worked out who it might be.
    and yup, it's a shame they couldn't capitalise after beating the favourites, it was indeed the shock of the tournament for me.

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    the pairs you mentioned is not bad...
    they created some upset here and there, last year IO, beat Boe/Mogensen
    and also the Jap pair, Ikeda/Sakamoto....but i think not consistent yet..
    as they also lost to unknown pairs...
    hopefully BAM can give them chance to compete in more tournaments...

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

That pair actually split for a while as they could not get along, one of them likes to yap yap yap at the partner a lot. One of them did play in XD, I suppose the coaches were trying to see if they can hit it off in XD. When Lin Woon Fui left BAM mid 2009, they had to pair back together.
    Lack of opportunities was also one of the reasons Gan/TBS left.

Unless a pair is really2 good, hard to get chances, BAM wouldnt keep sending to SS like Chai Biao/Zhang Nan (earlier with their previous partners) or Korea pairs(look at Cho, Shin, Yoo's results). If they crash out early rounds 2 or 3 times, NSC will make noise already.

In terms of chances, this pair had more opportunities bf budget constraint thingy, when all 6 senior MD pairs went for SS, now only 2 pairs get to go. And they just got their chance to play in AE 2010, taking Fuzzy's place.

#4 eaglehelang, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  5. pauline

pauline Regular Member

students
    ah, that pair...They are good players (well,not including the yap yap yap behaviour) but I didn't expect they would be paired up together and therefore no expectation on the pair....seem like they're doing not that bad by springing some surprise here and there...
    they got their chance to play in AE 2010? That's great! =) Hope they can appreciate this opportunity.

#5 pauline, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i think u guess wrong the pair;)
    this pair had patner each other more than 2 years;)

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I think you mean another pair, the one I'm refering to is current WR#66, oops,maybe cannot play in AE qualifiers also, ranking too low. This pair together 1.5 years at most, remember they split, pair other players , then pair up again.

Of course, the yap yap yap one also split from long time partner due to not getting along. Long time partner & yapping one split after Swiss 2008. I suppose this current partner is the only one who can stand the yapping.:p:D

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lol
    of course u and me mean the same pair
    but i dont think pauline mean the same pair like we do:)
    still,the patnership is since 2008 and now is 2010;)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- How did you find out she is the mother of one of the pair? Did you ask her if by chance she is?
    - Yeah, after they assigned numbered seatings during the 2007 WC, i'm kinda a bit puzzled by the decision to not have numbered seatings. Did they also not have numbered seatings in last yr's M'sia Open or the yr before?
    Man, i can imagine if they plan the same thing for this yr's T&UC. BCers could be forced to set up a tent & a mini outdoor kitchen outside Putra stadium.

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Ar, no tenting required...all BCers need is to dispatch Limsy to camp overnight and place newspapers, tee shirts, socks, shoes, whatever Limsy can find onto the empty seats...just remember to bring laptop along to keep posting and some nasi lemak and sugar cane juice to munch on:D:p

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Another bad news that had just been reported that BAM has tight budget this year ..so they will not send many shuttlers like in the past...

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

One of my colleague who is a regular at that restaurant sort of know her. He enquired whether her husband is still playing badminton etc.
    She is a very nice lady from a humble background.

The restaurant is around the Golden Triangle. Very popular amongst the Japanese business community.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

It is indeed good news that the Fuzzy pair are now not guaranteed a spot in the TC team, nor are they going to the AE. Good to see Rexy having some balls to take this action.

Infact, the Fuzzy pair should be benched permanently. Let one of the emerging pairs take their spot in the AE & TC team. Lets face it, we aint going to win the TC. Lets use the TC as exposure for one of our emerging pairs.

14. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    wtf...

only one pair to AE????
    the emerging pairs only send to German Open....:cool::cool:
    then Fuzzy is back to Swiss Open

15. pauline

pauline Regular Member

students
    LOL at the last sentence. Well, I really do hope they wouldn't end up like what happened to yap yap yap and his long time partner. He has to stop or er..maybe less yapping :eek:. I recall Rexy warned him about this.
    Too bad I missed the 1st round to watch them play.:(

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

1 pair in the ae all the way to the final;)

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    There will be only one pair as champion. If you are the best during the tournament, you are the champion.

18. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Don't be so confident about KKK/TBH ;)

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i'm not having any confident in them but then must see their form 1st.
    I'll let eaglehelang to tell us whether they will win or not. :cool:

20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, Helang's trend readings are quite accurate some times.....:D:D:D