how to play against a tall player...?!?!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ghulam Arshad, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ghulam Arshad

Ghulam Arshad New Member

How do play against tall players. Tall badminton players can smash really hard and because they are tall, they can cover the court pretty well too.

I know this guy who is tall and quick on the court and smash the birdie really hard! He is a very aggressive player and I can never beat him!

any tips on how to overcome tall players? strategy?
    :) :)

thank you!

2. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

One of the things to do against tall players is to play very defensive clears, because if you will play a flat/attacking one, they will intercept it very quickly. Another thing wich will work very effective is smashing a lot at the body and the head, just aim around the chest, shoulders, make sure you dont smash too flat otherwise it will go out at the back. Since tall players are normally slower then shorter players, then you should try to play flat right to left and left to right, they will be slow some time, just try it all out ;)

PS: I'm a short player so i know what im talking about :p

3. druss

druss Regular Member

Quick changes in direction tend to work as well, tall players also seem to have a bit more trouble with correct footwork around the court but that's just based on my experience. To be honest, I think the tallest baddy player I've ever played against was 6'2" which isn't much taller than my own 5'11".

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    run and dart around faster than him

5. tieenbietjes

tieenbietjes Regular Member

Some strategy tips:
    -Let the opponent cover distances on court in angles, tall people have difficulties with agillity. (angles = agillity, straight = condition)

-Place every shot with great accuracy (Deep=deep and in a corner, Drops are fast, short and somewhat in the corner or near the side lines).

-Smash-crossreturn on the net, shuttle should hit the ground before the serviceline if untouched.

-Your own smash don't have to be strong, but place it near the sidelines. Play mostly straight-smashes so the distance of flight is shorter, your opponent has lesser time. And this will get him out of possition, if the smash placed correctly.

-Make him bend over deep to get the drop/netdrops (this will get you a netdrop [straigt or cross] or a lift back. But the lift will not be deep when your opponent hits the shuttle low) then pass/overplay him bij playing a fast shot to the rear court (the drops have to be very accurate). This may not have an immediate effect, but it will wear him out. To make him bend over, first play deep shots in the rear court and finalle play a very sharp drop.

All these above are using one's agillity, tall players tend to have difficulties with it. In other words: destroy tall players :D I hope it helped, and post your results!

btw, I'm 6'3" (192cm) ;)