Replacing with U shaped grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by singnflip4life, Jan 30, 2010.

1. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Can you switch out regular grommets for U-shaped grommets? I was looking at a few rackets (HPS from Sir Dink more specifically and noticed it doesn't have U shaped grommets. After I restrung it, I played with it a few days later and promptly popped the strings at the base of the second left main, even though I mishit at the top of the string bed. So I suspect it might have been the regular grommets at the bottom. Thus my question.

I did a search and found another thread that was someone asking to exchange U-shaped for plain grommets, my question is the opposite. It stated someone else used U-shaped grommets at the top too. Is that possible as well? Could we also expand it to the crosses too? Is there any real benefit to using the U-grommets elsewhere?

2. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    Yes it can be done, I've tried to do that, but sometimes its not always a snug fit on some rackets (sometimes the 2 holes may be a bit too far or too close together.) I've seen Gosen racket have the rubbery U-shaped grommets on the 9/3o'clock

About your snapped string, I would be curious if the string might have clamped/crushed the part of the string near the "base of the second left main" that may cause the fibers in the strings to weaken and snap on a mishit.

3. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    You mean if my stringer clamps crushed/damaged the strings? I'd argue maybe yes, except for the fact that the only time it pops on the bottom is when it's my only racket with non-U-shaped grommets. All the other rackets, it actually pops on the point of impact. I've actually managed to get a birdie stuck in my racket bed at the top due to a mishit where a main breaks at the section above the crosses and the birdie squeezed in. I shouldve snapped a pic or two before I cut the strings out and released the "caged birdie"

4. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

another possibility is that the grommet was damaged and as a result of impact it cuts the bottom main? inspect the grommet if its worn out. I have older rackets without the U-shaped grommets and they have held up fine :)

5. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    I hope it wasn't damaged. It's only been strung twice, once by Sir Dink and once by me, and the center main grommets really don't have a reason to be damaged but I will check.

Does switching between regular and U-shape grommets really affect anything? Besides reducing the pressure and damage cause by tensioning the string on an "edge"?

6. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

Other than that I wouldn't think so, but I will let more experienced stringers chime in ;)